Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Front and rear parking sensors - views please
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:05 pm 

I've ordered them on my 4h, which should be delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. I hope they don't look crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:18 am 

Douglas wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I agree that the camera can be a bit iffy with the wrong lighting and/or weather.
Still looking for more feedback from anyone who has had the dealer fit sensors prior to delivery.
I don't think they are integrated with the car the way the factory fitted items are but I would love to be proved wrong.

I have the dealer fit front and rear sensors (in addition to the camera).

The camera works very well (although not had visibility problems with it yet) but still use and like the sensors in addition. It's probably some sort of conditioning from years of relying on sensors alone with previous cars.

I have to say I'm surprised how much the camera helps when reversing into 90 degree parking bays or out of long driveways, the yellow lines predicting where the car's going to go when you move the wheel is remarkably accurate..

The rear sensors work automatically with reverse selected. The fronts default to 'on' but can be silenced via a switch on the facia.

I'm almost tempted to say I could have done without the sensors but I have many occasions where I get a 'proximity' beep from the front corner sensors entering or leaving confined spaces (I was pleased to find that the front had four, including the corners).

All colour matched.

Expensive, but overall still glad I had them fitted.

JimB

'16 GX4H, Orient Red, Gen 3 Glasscoat, Bonnet Lettering, Chrome Pack, Protection Pack, Front and Rear Sensors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:27 am 

Had front and rear parking sensors fitted by dealer on my '15 plate GX4h, never having had a rear camera before. Apart from occasional image problems from bad weather, I really like the camera and don't rely on the rear sensors too much. However, if you've ever had to pay for a repair to dinks or scrapes on the front bumper from parking errors, you'll realise the worth of front parking sensors. You'll need to use the button to turn them of though when parked with ACC set. Passing pedestrians or close objects are an irritation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:13 am 

I had them installed on my 2015 model and would advise that they are pretty useless. Yes they beep, but that's it, there is no visual indication like you normally have on this level of car (I suppose you could guess that as they are dealer fit), nor can you tell if it front or rear is beeping or how close you are as the note or frequency doesn't change. However given it takes almost 45 secs for the rear camera guidelines to appear you have to rely on something...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:32 am 

PHEV is my first car with camera. I agree with the visibilty problem, though we rarely get snow darn ere in Darzet. But after a forty mile drive in cruddy weather the camera is all but useles without getting out to clean the lens, because the square shape of the car sucks in so much road muck.
I miss my 'beepers' on the 2 Yetis BUT they had a schematic to show proximity and direction of impending impact. Beepers without any such imagery would be IMHO, useless, not quite so much for the front, which I have never had.
One thing I have found with the camera is that the side lines are curved and it you are trying to parallel park and line the indicators up withe curb you find you have actually parked at an angle.
So for my money I would keep the camera and add front beepers.

All contentious comments should be taken with a pinch of salt!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 am 

Thanks again for the feedback.
Unfortunately my friend decided against the PHEV primarily due to a bad experience with the dealership.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:23 am 

Found them brilliant when used with the 360 camera. My driveway is on a slope so it is the only way I can reliably tell how close I am to the garage door. Double beeps means the right place to stop in order for the cable to reach.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:13 am 

My next car will certainly have rear beepers. I nearly dinged the PHEV yesterday because the camera doesn't 'go round corners' like beepers do. I thought I was clear as nothing showed up in the camera and then I heard a scraping noise! Luckily it was only a bush but 3 inches behind the bush was a brick wall!! Boy that was nearly very expensive.
When I bought the car I though "Oh goody a reversing camera". Now I think they are just a poncy gimmick. They are unusable after a long wet motorway drive 'cos of the clag on the lens and they don't give you the required field of view.
I would cheerfully swap it for beepers anyday. As long as there was a little diagram on the screen, showing where the impending impact was coming from.

All contentious comments should be taken with a pinch of salt!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:02 am 

Rear beepers - Great!
Front/rear camera - Great!
Front beepers - Worthless and dangerous!

Front beepers beep to much, every time you reverse out of a parking spot they go off since when you turn the wheel the car parked next to you passes the front sensors. This makes you ignore the beeps and potentially hit something behind you because the beeps from the rear sensors gets mixed up in the beeps from the front sensors.
Also in the winter when there's snow or ice on the hood and you hit the brakes some of the ice and snow slides off the hood resulting in an symphony of beeps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 am 

I agree that there seems to be little - no no - difference between the beeping noise of each of the sensors.

On my MY16 model, there is a graphic indication to show which sensor is receiving a signal - so at least you can see if it is front (three positions) or rear (three positions).

Emmet

MY16 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Kaiteki

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next