Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to go for home EV point installation?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:43 am 

Wasn't quite sure which forum this belonged in, so apologies if in wrong place.

I live in Grantham, Lincolnshire and am due to receive my new GX4h at the end of February (I've been quoted the 29th). It's a company lease, and aside from the expected delivery date, I've had no further information from my company or LeaseDrive about the new car, so assume all is well.

So, I need to get a power point installed on my drive, ahead of the delivery of the car.

A local firm - Simon Hopkins Electrical - have an impressive website talking about their EV installation services, however it seems their site is out of date and when you call them they say they no longer do it.

The device they installed was something called a 'pod point', which looks quite smart from the photos (I want a tethered connection).

So my question is - are there any recommended installers in this area I should speak to, and are there any pro's/con's to the 'pod point' over other makes of EV charging points?

I'm sure this question will have been asked before so apologies if thats the case.

Post subject: Re: Where to go for home EV point installation?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:58 am 

Hi Barnfather
I had mine fitted by these guys, very professional I thought, I used the Weymouth office but they have one up North and are country wide!

Futurum Head Office

01305 755 700

Retro House
Unit 6D Parkway Farm Business Centre
Poundbury
Dorchester
DT1 3AR

North Yorkshire Office

01609 775 500

1C Gaskell Close
Standard Way Industrial Estate
Northallerton
North Yorkshire
DL6 2YE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:01 am 

The question has been asked many times, but the answer has changed over time and also depends on your location. The grants are being reduced and I think some of the smaller installers are beginning to question if it is worth staying in the market.

I used Chargemaster (https://www.chargemasterplc.com/) and was very happy with their service. The web site indicates that you need to get it done soon if you want to receive the full grant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:29 am 

Just an external UK 13A socket installed in a convenient position is all that is required for an overnight 5 hour charge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:54 am 

Tipper wrote:
Just an external UK 13A socket installed in a convenient position is all that is required for an overnight 5 hour charge.

That will certainly work if you don't need the speed. Worth noting that it will pull the battery down a bit more when you use pre-heat while plugged up to a 13A socket. Even the 16A charger point cannot fully cover the current drain of a pre-heat, but it comes closer to it than the 13A connector.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 am 

I'm in Cambridge and am getting a PodPoint charger installed this Friday. The PodPoint contact details are:

POD Point
Tel: 020 7247 4114
Web: www.pod-point.com

I'll let you know how it goes. Up to now though I've been getting on fine using a 13A socket at home and at my regular hotel, with the occasional top up at the fast charge points on the motorway

JC

about to upgrade to:
2015 GX4h Red - facelift
Still doing 20,000 miles a year

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:01 am 

I want a proper installation, rather than a standard 3-pin socket jobbie... I also ideally want it installed prior to receiving the car - ie. in the next 5 weeks or so.

Would be interested to hear how the pod-point install goes. and will check out the chargemaster link.

Is there any paperwork required by the installers (whoever they may be)? I ask because other than the order confirmation, I don't have anything from the LeaseDrive people

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:05 am 

Barnfather wrote:
I want a proper installation, rather than a standard 3-pin socket jobbie... I also ideally want it installed prior to receiving the car - ie. in the next 5 weeks or so.

Would be interested to hear how the pod-point install goes. and will check out the chargemaster link.

Is there any paperwork required by the installers (whoever they may be)? I ask because other than the order confirmation, I don't have anything from the LeaseDrive people

You do need some pretty convincing proof of ownership - I'm not sure what is acceptable. When we purchased, the government was giving 100% grants no questions asked and people with no intention of buying an EV were getting them installed in the belief that it would enhance the resale value of the house. They tightened up on that shortly after ours was installed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:58 pm 

Barnfather - you will need to fill out the government OLEV form which also requires proof of ownership in the form of the V5C document or the V5C/2 slip. Here are the words from Chargemaster ", the Office of Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) announced recently that the EVHS grant will be extended for a further 12 month period from March 1st, 2016 but at the lower level of £500 rather than the existing £700. The new reduced subsidy will apply to any unit not installed by February 29th 2016 irrespective of the date of the original application. This will mean the cost of your Homecharge Unit will be increased by £200 if not processed and installed by 29th February 2016."

I had mine installed by Chargemaster on Monday. Excellent service from the word go. Communication was brilliant and although the install was booked for 4th February I had a call on Monday morning asking if I was available for the install that day due to a cancellation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:54 pm 

Hi Barnfather.. I live nr Newark & have a podpoint that was installed by nucharge.co.uk in Chesterfield .
I think they use Rolec now, but their local installer Lee was from Melton and was top rate.

Should have also added that mine a a company lease & Nucharge told me everything I needed to provide.
1. proof of order & 2 letter from my employer confirming car was allocated to me :shock:
I got my point installed before car was delivered , so should be no issue there....

Gx4h Atlantic Grey