Polarised sun glasses?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maby

Has anyone any experience of wearing polarised sun glasses while driving a PHEV? I'm going back to contact lenses and I'm going to need some sun glasses - would prefer polarised, but I have memories of them producing massive distortions on the windscreen in cars years ago.

Hi Maby,

No problem with the windscreen - it looks fine and no disortions. Reflections from the dash on the windscreen are reduced alot.

I did notice that the MMCS screen gets quite dark (still legible, but you notice some cross-polarisation). The central information screen between the performance/speedo is not affected however.

The sunglasses were Rayban Aviator P's if that helps.

Emmet

No problems here with Serengeti sunglasses; the new heated windscreen may exhibit some prismatic effects driving into the sun, though.

Thanks to both of you! We have the boring old unheated windscreen, so hopefully will not be an issue. The last time I tried driving in polarised glasses was probably 30 years ago and it was very difficult to see through the screen at all - they created all sorts of patterns in the toughening of the glass - I guess that screen technology has moved on a lot since then. A decent pair of sunglasses is a big investment these days, so I didn't want to shell out a hundred quid - or more - only to find that they are unusable!

Windscreens are now laminated glass which does NOT give the blackened blotches of toughened glass.

Edit: oops forgot the not!

On mine, the left part of the LCD in the A/C display seems to be oriented 90 degrees different compared to the right half of the same panel. When I wear polarised sunglasses, the left side of the display darkens, but the right half doesn't :?

"so I didn't want to shell out a hundred quid - or more"

Hundred quid, on a pair of sunnies?? I just paid £6.99 for my wrap around polarised sunglasses and that included a pair of amber night glasses. The sunnies work brilliantly over my normal specs, much easier to put on and off than clip ons so therefore they will get more use - which must be better for my eyes.

Bladevane said:
"so I didn't want to shell out a hundred quid - or more"

Hundred quid, on a pair of sunnies?? I just paid £6.99 for my wrap around polarised sunglasses and that included a pair of amber night glasses. The sunnies work brilliantly over my normal specs, much easier to put on and off than clip ons so therefore they will get more use - which must be better for my eyes.

You haven't looked at the price of Serengetis, have you? :)

Cheap at half the price. My titanium framed, vari-focal Armnis, with photochromatic lenses cost over £800 - but then I do get x-ray vision as well :lol:

OK - bought a pair of Polaroid sunglasses and I can confirm that the windscreen is laminated - but the rear window is toughened - but I was never too interested in what's behind me! Lucky it has a reversing camera, though!

Digging out an old topic...

I recently realized that the display of the MMCS is emitting polarized light, but in 45° angle.
Obviously an approach to keep it readable in "landscape" and in "portait" orientation.
Unfortunately, this is darkening the screen significantly, when using polarized sunglasses.

Imho an approach by the display manufacturer to avoid a black screen in one orientation.
But a bad idea for a car manufacturer as I am pretty sure that the majority of the drivers will sit upright, when driving...

Nevertheless, I will keep using the polarized sunglasses as I really prefer not to have any reflections of the dashboard in the windscreen.

I wear polarised sunglasses when driving, summer and winter.

I have never had any problem reading any display in the car.

:)

It's not a problem that the display will be unreadable. It's just significantly darker.

If this applies for the displays in all PHEV variants can be found out easily by turning the Polaroid sunglassses or any other simple polarization filter.

45° in one direction will lead to a black display,
45° in the other direction will make it as bright as it could be.

Harald said:
If this applies for the displays in all PHEV variants can be found out easily by turning the Polaroid sunglassses or any other simple polarization filter.

45° in one direction will lead to a black display,
45° in the other direction will make it as bright as it could be.
As long as you have established that it is indeed the display that is 45 deg angled and not your pair of sunglasses :geek: :mrgreen:

If the LCD displays are blocked just tilt you head a little one way or the other as you look at them and all will be revealed!

I have to say that it baffles me how a car design can get this wrong. Surely the designers/specifiers would be aware of the problem? My old E91 BMW suffered from some of the displays being blocked, the radio I think which was particularly annoying.

I thought sunglasses were supposed to be vertically polarised, to get rid of glare and reflections from the road?

IIRC Land's original concept was that car headlights should have horizontally polarised filters in place so that they just appear as dim yellow lights to any driver coming the other way (hence stopping drivers from being dazzled at night).

Of course that part didn't happen. :)

Back