Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trip meter set up
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 pm 

generaltso wrote:
AndyH wrote:
General - pressing the "multi-information display" menu button (about 8-9 o'clock relative to the steering wheel, and below the vent) will cycle through the display between the 'power' gauge and speedo.

Understood, but the mpg and EV drive ratio are set to “Auto Reset Mode”, so they reset every time the car is parked for 4 hours. You can change it to “Manual Reset Mode”, but that’s useless because it just changes back to Auto the next time you start the car. How do you just keep a running total of mpg and EV ratio that doesn’t reset until you reset it?

Ah - sorry, you're talking about the 'phev info' functions on the center screen? I don't know. I just reset the display tonight to remove the 'auto reset' - you didn't have to tell me it wouldn't work. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 pm 

AndyH wrote:
Ah - sorry, you're talking about the 'phev info' functions on the center screen? I don't know. I just reset the display tonight to remove the 'auto reset' - you didn't have to tell me it wouldn't work. :lol:

The mpg and EV ratio under PHEV info in the center screen is actually exactly the same info that’s displayed on the multi-info display. When you reset one, they both reset. If you switch one to Manual Reset Mode, they both switch. But the next time you start the car, they’ll both be back to Auto. It shouldn’t be this difficult!

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited
Molten Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm 

generaltso wrote:
Understood, but the mpg and EV drive ratio are set to “Auto Reset Mode”, so they reset every time the car is parked for 4 hours. You can change it to “Manual Reset Mode”, but that’s useless because it just changes back to Auto the next time you start the car. How do you just keep a running total of mpg and EV ratio that doesn’t reset until you reset it?

Anyone? Is there really no way to do something as basic as keep a running average of mpg?

Molten Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm 

generaltso wrote:
generaltso wrote:

Anyone? Is there really no way to do something as basic as keep a running average of mpg?

I'm using a book and pencil - that might be all we've got.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:51 am 

The manual mode is set by the trip meter. Therefore, if you do not reset the trip meter you will get the long term energy usage figures. I normally set trip meter A each time I fill up and use trip meter B for long term recording. The auto function is handy for short term figures.
Like AndyH I still keep a paper record of fuel fill ups as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:38 am 

Solargen wrote:
The manual mode is set by the trip meter. Therefore, if you do not reset the trip meter you will get the long term energy usage figures. I normally set trip meter A each time I fill up and use trip meter B for long term recording. The auto function is handy for short term figures.
Like AndyH I still keep a paper record of fuel fill ups as well.

Where would I see these long term energy usage figures? I've never reset the trip meter, but the energy usage figures are set to Auto Reset Mode, which resets them every time the car is idle for 4 hours. I can turn off Auto Reset Mode, but it just turns back on the next time I start the car.

Molten Silver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:53 am 

At appears that the small centre display always reverts to displaying the latest 'auto' mpg since the last reset (which automatically happens after 4 hours of non-usage). There is a small A in a box next to the figure in the display.
The 'manual' figure is only reset when you go into the 'EV Information' screen and push the reset tab so you can effectively get a running mpg figure since the last manual reset.
If you push the Manual tab (bottom left) it will switch to the manual display (but only until the next restart). The mpg since the last manual reset will then be displayed with a small 'M' but only until the next restart when it goes back to 'A'... Very frustrating!
By the way, the two trip meters are totally separate and do not reflect anything to do with the mpg figures.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am 

Are the miles imperial or US miles?
I wouldn't trust the accuracy, anyway, but use it a a guide for comparison.

There are too many variables to determine mpg (or m/kWh) without making assumptions. You can measure the total distance travelled and the number of kWh and gallons added during that time, but will not know what contribution each fuel has made to the distance covered.
You can sum the cost of electricity and fuel consumed, then divide that by the miles covered to determine the cost per mile. Everyone’s result will depend on the prices they’re paying and driving pattern. I’m looking at about 14.2p/mile at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 am 

Not sure I'm right but I believe the mpg counter makes no allowance for how much electricity has been used or is cost. Seeking as there's somewhere in the Mmcs to enter the cost per kW you pay I feel that they have all the information they needed to bake the eV cost into the mpg as without it out is meaningless. Just my view

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:00 am 

VillageIdiotDan wrote:
Not sure I'm right but I believe the mpg counter makes no allowance for how much electricity has been used or is cost. Seeking as there's somewhere in the Mmcs to enter the cost per kW you pay I feel that they have all the information they needed to bake the eV cost into the mpg as without it out is meaningless. Just my view

I agree, but producing a 'combined' mpg requires you to know the cost of fuel as well as electricity. I do this using a simple spreadsheet, but despite the constantly-changing prices (of both), a very reasonable rule of thumb is that running on petrol costs is around 3x more expensive than electricity (in the UK - the factor is highly dependent on taxation, and then, of course, some people get their leccy for 'free').