Charge light

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonty

Hi all.

I'm the new owner of a 2016 Outlander and I wanted to check something out. The last two days the charge light on the brick has been blinking but I have full charge. If I turn off the mains and turn back on the light goes solid. Anyone experienced this? There are no timers on or preheating.

Thanks

Jonty said:
Hi all.

I'm the new owner of a 2016 Outlander and I wanted to check something out. The last two days the charge light on the brick has been blinking but I have full charge. If I turn off the mains and turn back on the light goes solid. Anyone experienced this? There are no timers on or preheating.

Thanks

Blinking means it is fully charged.
Proper charging procedure is mains switch on - then plug in to car. Not plug in to car - then put mains switch on.
If you want to disconnect while charging, then push the manual stop button first.

Thanks for that I'm such a dumbass. I've got plenty of experience with lipo and life technology and all my charging systems blink when charging not the other way around.

Thanks again.

Jonty said:
Thanks for that I'm such a dumbass. I've got plenty of experience with lipo and life technology and all my charging systems blink when charging not the other way around.

Thanks again.

Haha I'm the same. I have always plugged things in first before turning power on as well, not on the PHEV.

vs2 said:
Jonty said:

Thanks again.

Haha I'm the same. I have always plugged things in first before turning power on as well, not on the PHEV.
Why? I thought the brick had a contactor that only connected power when all is OK, so why would it matter if you plug it into the car first?

TimH said:
vs2 said:
Jonty said:

Thanks again.

Why? I thought the brick had a contactor that only connected power when all is OK, so why would it matter if you plug it into the car first?

I don't think it matters, in fact, I plug mine in when I get home, but my external timer turns on the power at 10pm. I use a WEMO Insight switch.

Why on earth should it make any difference? I always connect up and then switch on. Conversely I switch off and then disconnect. As an ex electronics engineer I was always taught to do it that way. :geek:

Not being very knowledgeable regarding things electric, I was wondering if a member could suggest a reason why Mitsubishi, in the manual, specify connecting up to the mains before plugging into the car?

avesnes said:
Not being very knowledgeable regarding things electric, I was wondering if a member could suggest a reason why Mitsubishi, in the manual, specify connecting up to the mains before plugging into the car?

It may be because if you are plugging into an unswitched socket there could be significant arcing as the connexion is made?

greendwarf said:
avesnes said:

It may be because if you are plugging into an unswitched socket there could be significant arcing as the connexion is made?

No, there is very little current. It takes the charging system a few seconds to get going when power is applied. Conversely, if the charging plug is removed, the charging stops when the button is pressed, i.e. before you can pull the plug out. This is not so, however, if you interrupt charging by switching of the mains.

Ok so basic electrics 101 as I have always been told/taught. I presume it is ok to plug in 1st then switch mains on, when charged switch mains off and pull the plug. Not the correct procedure according to the PHEV manual, but ok, correct?

vs2 said:
Ok so basic electrics 101 as I have always been told/taught. I presume it is ok to plug in 1st then switch mains on, when charged switch mains off and pull the plug. Not the correct procedure according to the PHEV manual, but ok, correct?

yes, the only thing you don't want to do is pull the mains plug out of the wall socket when it still charging, as you are breaking the circuit when it is still potentially charging at 10A.

HHL said:
yes, the only thing you don't want to do is pull the mains plug out of the wall socket when it still charging, as you are breaking the circuit when it is still potentially charging at 10A.

It's no worse than pulling out a vacuum cleaner or press iron. If you manage do so it at the peak voltage in the AC cycle a spike current will be induced in the circuits. This can theoretically damage things but you need to design things accordingly. This is typically what kills old lightbulbs with a puff when turning them on our off, but I doubt it will damage the electronics in the car.

There is also a slight risk for arcing if the wall connector is broken and does not conduct prooerly but that is also on par with an iron, that you typically just plug in to start.

I think the main reason is for your protection. When you plug the connector it is grounded and will hopefully protect you from the traction voltage if the car or cable is broken. It also makes sure that the protection ciruits in the cable is powered on, although I would guess grounding it is the main thing.

Large amp fast chargers is another thing, as there is much more current that can cause arcing.

karl said:
HHL said:

It's no worse than pulling out a vacuum cleaner or press iron. If you manage do so it at the peak voltage in the AC cycle a spike current will be induced in the circuits. This can theoretically damage things but you need to design things accordingly. This is typically what kills old lightbulbs with a puff when turning them on our off, but I doubt it will damage the electronics in the car.

There is also a slight risk for arcing if the wall connector is broken and does not conduct prooerly but that is also on par with an iron, that you typically just plug in to start.

I think the main reason is for your protection. When you plug the connector it is grounded and will hopefully protect you from the traction voltage if the car or cable is broken. It also makes sure that the protection ciruits in the cable is powered on, although I would guess grounding it is the main thing.

Large amp fast chargers is another thing, as there is much more current that can cause arcing.

Well, if you press the button on the charger plug, it signals to the charger to shut down immediately. If you pull the mains plug out of the socket, you "just pull the rug out from under it", there is no orderly shutdown. It probably won't do any damage and it shouldn't, but since it is a "switched mode" charger supply, they can be a bit fickle and it is best not do it.

I thought the manual stated that the information section on the instrument cluster would indicate the remaining charge duration. On my MY18 though it certainly does not. Is that limited to a specific trim level?

BudRaymond said:
I thought the manual stated that the information section on the instrument cluster would indicate the remaining charge duration. On my MY18 though it certainly does not. Is that limited to a specific trim level?

I think it depends on which option you have left the display between the dials on - trying stepping through them.

Back