Leaving the PHEV idle for 2 weeks -?problem

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvaghela

Sorry if this is a silly question, but i'm only 2 months into my PHEV, thus a newbie.

The family and I are flying off to sunnier climates for 2 weeks next month. I'll be(or rather a Meet and Greet service) will be parking it in a car park for 2 weeks with all the charge out of the battery (after a 100mile trip to the airport). My question is do I need to be worried about the car being idle for 2 weeks in a cold car park? Will the driver have problem restarting after this inactive period?

Thanks
Herbie

Quite a few similar threads where this question has been asked before and the short answer is no, absolutely nothing to worry about.

hvaghela said:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but i'm only 2 months into my PHEV, thus a newbie.

The family and I are flying off to sunnier climates for 2 weeks next month. I'll be(or rather a Meet and Greet service) will be parking it in a car park for 2 weeks with all the charge out of the battery (after a 100mile trip to the airport). My question is do I need to be worried about the car being idle for 2 weeks in a cold car park? Will the driver have problem restarting after this inactive period?

Thanks
Herbie

Shouldn't be a problem, however, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to leave enough charge in the battery to show at least a bar or two on the meter. Just press the charge button about 20 minutes before you get to your destination.

And make sure that you don't leave the heater running on the timer, that will flatten your battery for sure!

:)

HHL said:
hvaghela said:

Thanks
Herbie

Shouldn't be a problem, however, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to leave enough charge in the battery to show at least a bar or two on the meter. Just press the charge button about 20 minutes before you get to your destination.

I dont even think thats necessary. When the battery guage shows empty, the main traction battery still has c.30% capacity left. That is used to top up the 12V battery once per day (if needed) when the car is not running so two weeks is absolutely no problem. Youd need to be leaving it for at least a few months before you start to have any concerns.

On the other hand, you ask for a reason. I think leaving a bar or two on the gauge is going to provide you 'peace of mind' during your vacation at a very low cost ( I mean it is not that the airport is within EV range for you). So, regardless of whether geoffshep56 is right, I would go for it ;)

I was going to pose a similar question - but for 7 weeks, and it will be left at home.

Already left it parked at airport for 3 weeks with about 20% charge shown after a bit of last minute charging on the M25 as described - no problems on return and no noticeable drop in charge level.

I assume 7 weeks will be similar, and I can leave it fully charged on the drive so I'm sure it'll take care of itself.
Any other advice on a 7 week park up ?

ps44 said:
I was going to pose a similar question - but for 7 weeks, and it will be left at home.

Already left it parked at airport for 3 weeks with about 20% charge shown after a bit of last minute charging on the M25 as described - no problems on return and no noticeable drop in charge level.

I assume 7 weeks will be similar, and I can leave it fully charged on the drive so I'm sure it'll take care of itself.

If possible, leave the handbrake off and the wheels chocked. This way the brake won't seize onto the wheels. Unlikely in only 7 weeks but if the weather gets really bad that won't help it.

DavidWh said:
If possible, leave the handbrake off and the wheels chocked. This way the brake won't seize onto the wheels. Unlikely in only 7 weeks but if the weather gets really bad that won't help it.
Yeah, already got that. Wife's Peugeot brakes get sticky after about two weeks standing :lol:

ps44 said:

Yes, Don't leave it fully charged this will degrade the battery over time. Lithium likes to be stored at 30-50% SOC, which on the Phev is anything from 0 to a 3rd full on the gauge. I would leave it about half just to cover any small drain from the 12v system ect.

Brief update on this now we're back.
I left the car showing about 30% on the console gauge, seven weeks later it had dropped to about 10%.
Any comment ?

Only my favourite one...

Did you leave the heater timer turned on?

That was the source of all of the "mystery" battery discharging in my car.

:lol:

Once the battery gets to a particular value, everything turns off, including wifi.

I left ours at Heathrow for 4 weeks February and early March.

Left it with 9 miles EV range but down to 4 on return.

No heating, or anything else, on timers.

Didn't check the number of bars on the charge before or after.

JimB

It is a good idea with any car that has a smart entry system to switch off that smart entry system before leaving the car for any length of time. Switch is a small round button under the middle of the dash, near the power outlet. The remote unlock will still work when you get back to the car but the button on the door handle wont. This will save the 12 volt battery draining as quickly so less chage is taken off the main battery when doing an auto battery charge at 2pm each day.

Patsparks said:
...so less chage is taken off the main battery when doing an auto battery charge at 2pm each day.
Interesting. Didn't know about this.
Is this how the battery is kept topped up if the ICE is rarely run ?

Gilbo said:
That little round button only disables the electric boot opening. To switch off keyless entry you have to do it via the MMCS
Thanks for the correction, I'm new to this and assumed it was the same as the Prius iTech, oops.

ps44 said:
Patsparks said:
...so less chage is taken off the main battery when doing an auto battery charge at 2pm each day.
Interesting. Didn't know about this.
Is this how the battery is kept topped up if the ICE is rarely run ?

As far as I know 12v battery get charged on our PHEV in these situations:
Every day at 2pm (but I guess this is valid only if WiFi module is active)
Every time the car get switch on, the 300v battery pack does charge the 12v battery
Every time the car is getting charged via J1772 (maybe also while fast charging too)

As far as I know .. the ICE never charge directly the 12v battery, I bet that the generator connected to the ICE is optimized for charge 300v battery and not the traditional 12v lead acid

Back