MY14 to MY16 - Quite different

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stvtech

So today I took my MY14 (March 2015) GX4h in for it's 2nd (24 month) service.

I was expecting a compact car of some sort as courtesy car, but instead was given late model (66 plate for us Brits) PHEV.
How surprised was I to find how much better the drive was.

First off, the pickup from standstill was substantially improved. I had known already that the throttle had been remapped for MY16 cars to give faster 0-whatever times whilst maintaining the same 0-60, but was really impressed when I experienced it for myself. The car literally launched itself away from rest and went on to feel very sprightly tootling around at urban speeds. My own car takes a second or so to realise I have asked it to go...

Steering was a lot more positive, or to put it another way, a lot less vague. Driving my own PHEV, I sometimes think I'm driving in one of those 70's TV movies where all drivers are filmed continuously moving the steering wheel from side to side. The ride was also a lot smoother - comparisons with no ICE running so the suspension and tyre combination of this newer model was clearly superior.

It must have only been a GX3 as the equipment was lacking - no media display therefore no SatNav or reverse camera, and I couldn't hear the reversing sensor beeps unless the absent noise level was complete quiet. It would take effort to wean myself off the gadgets upon which I have come to rely, so a 3 wouldn't cut it for me!

My lease contract ends today and I am on 'extension time' from hereon in until my new (non-Mitsu) 100% EV arrives, so this new experience made me kind of sad that I wasn't replacing it like for like but with the latest incarnation.

I have loved my PHEV for the two years I have had it, yet setting back off after returning the loaner, it felt slightly like a sluggish tank by comparison (but of course it has felt great up until this point).

It won't be long now before I say farewell to my PHEV - and it has served me well.

Thank you Mitsubishi :D

My test drive was in a 2015 model 4hs but by the time I was allowed to order mine I got a MY 2016 4h. There was 10 months between the test drive and getting mine so I could not do a back-to-back comparison like you have done.
What full EV are you moving on to?
Let us know how you get on in comparison to the PHEV.

It makes a big difference doing a back to back. I would never before have described my PHEV as sluggish, but that's exactly how it felt having got back into it.

I am moving to a Hyundai Ioniq Electric when it finally turns up - it's stuck on a boat still, somewhere between here and South Korea.
My first step in replacing my outgoing PHEV was to look at another GX4, but the lease payments would have been over £100 per month more than I currently pay, so I took a test drive on the Ioniq

Worlds apart are the two cars, but the Ioniq's lightweight chassis sports a single 88kw motor which obviously gives it a bit more of a kick compared to the 60kw available to the 2 tonne PHEV when running in EV mode. Plus you get nice things such as Lane Keep Assist (steers itself), active cruise control that will bring the car to a complete stop when required and then start off again, blind spot and rear cross-traffic radar, etc etc.

The Ioniq is not an SUV, and has limited range being 100% EV, but in analysing my trips over the 2 year period I've had the PHEV all but trips to the coast etc. have been within range. And the one thing thing that I don't love about the PHEV is having the ICE cut in, so going full EV is for me, a reasonable risk to take.

SolarBoy said:
How much is the new EV costing if you don't mind me asking?
On a 6+23 12k/year the figure was £335.00 - this is on a P11D value of £31,305.00

GX4h models at the time were coming up at between £468.00 and £506.00 for a similar deal.

I also save on the BIK owing to lower P11D as well as the Ioniq being far more efficient than the Outi in EV mode, which will save on my home electricity bill.

That is a very good price.

Outlander is no longer on the company scheme, well at the moment anyway, so that scuppers renewal of another PHEV for early 2020.

Fingers crossed there will be a large BEV available in 2020 that can fit a family of 5 and all of our stuff ... (Yes I know about the Tesla S & X, quite a bit more than I would consider spending on a depreciating asset!).

Please don't think I didn't look at Tesla ;) - they were between £800 to well over a grand... :lol:

Keep us updated on things like EV range compared to their quoted figure and whether you ever experience range anxiety.

Dusz said:
and whether you ever experience range anxiety.
I already am, lol.

But seriously, my PHEV just about manages my round trip commute on a single charge. Just under 20 miles, and instead I get ICE anxiety. I hate the ICE cutting in.

It is a shame that Mitsu have not yet increased the EV range of the Outlander, because that would have gone a long way to justifying the extra cost of staying with the marque this time around. Oh, and a heat pump like the Ioniq has, would be nice too (if they haven't already got that one covered) because the resistive heater in mine reduces the EV range considerably.

Must arrange a drive in the latest one sometime, got my curiosity now.

I have about 20 months in my GX4 before decision time again, be getting on for a 100K miles by that time so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Don't know what replacement will be except it needs to be high SUV/MPV and I detest giving HMRC a penny more than I have to for basically a self propelled toolbox in my case.

Could be another Outlander PHEV.

Liked the look of the Kia Niro but boot is tight on hybrid so really disappointed that the new PHEV has lost even more boot. Had 30kg/km CO2 in its favour.

There is the BMW 2 series tourer PHEV but it needs updating really.

What looks really interesting if its on sale in time is the Citroen DS7, 4wd plug in, suv, lots of toys, 300bhp.

Otherwise I may just say sod it, I deserve a treat and have a Jaguar F-Pace!

Just signed on the dotted line to trade in my 64 plate version for a 65 new shape. I test drove it yesterday and agree that it's got a lot more vim from a standing start, and I like the 360 camera and some of the other upgrade bits and pieces as well. My main reason for changing was that my 27 month old car had done 30,000 miles and I was worried that it would very quickly become high mileage and out of warranty (old 3 year warranty). The new one is a year old with 9,000 miles on the clock and the 5 year warranty, so I should be good to go for 2 or 3 years at least.

JSC said:
Just signed on the dotted line to trade in my 64 plate version for a 65 new shape. I test drove it yesterday and agree that it's got a lot more vim from a standing start, and I like the 360 camera and some of the other upgrade bits and pieces as well. My main reason for changing was that my 27 month old car had done 30,000 miles and I was worried that it would very quickly become high mileage and out of warranty (old 3 year warranty). The new one is a year old with 9,000 miles on the clock and the 5 year warranty, so I should be good to go for 2 or 3 years at least.

Have they done anything about the 'dithering bermuda triangle zone' you know, mid speed, been cruising in EV, pull out to overtake and floor it, engine starts OK but it sometimes takes an age to kick all up to full power and get moving leaving you floundering a while?

How did you find the electric handbrake? (I know you looked in the old place and there it was boom-boom)

BobEngineer said:
JSC said:

Have they done anything about the 'dithering bermuda triangle zone' you know, mid speed, been cruising in EV, pull out to overtake and floor it, engine starts OK but it sometimes takes an age to kick all up to full power and get moving leaving you floundering a while?

How did you find the electric handbrake? (I know you looked in the old place and there it was boom-boom)

I have to confess that I didn't investigate the bermuda triangle or the handbrake. The ICE seemed to kick in a bit more readily than on the pre-facelift model, but I didn't try it out in the overtaking situation you describe. I should pick it up next weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to sus it out then - hope it's not any worse than the pre-face lift performance. I did notice that the dash was different - but I wouldn't say it was better or worse. I also believe that the entertainment centre has been upgraded, but I don't know if it's really any better. Apparently the Satnav is still much the same.

I'll report back in a week or two

Back