Towbar electrics stopped working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafannon

I have a 2014 Gx4h that has a dealer fitted Witter towbar with 7-pin electrics. I recently bought a new bike carrier and came to test it today, but none of the electrics are working (lights, brakes, indicators all not working). I then tested with our old bike carrier and same story, no electrics.

After a lot of effort removing the boot floor panel, I managed to find a 20amp fuse next to the battery which looks like it's related to the towbar, but this is intact and tested ok.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there another fuse somewhere else? What's the best way to test the 7-pin socket on the car?

Thanks

John

Download a 7 pin diagram from the web and meter out the socket to confirm its dead with a cheap dvm . Then follow the socket back There will probably be a box with wires in and out of it that doesn't look Mitsubishi. That will most likely be dead (if the whole socket isn't working) You then need to find the 12v supply to it, and check that. If the 12v has no power then trace back to either a fuse or a broken connection

HTH!

Hi. When you found the battery in the boot, did you find two lots of red (I think) wires with blade fuses - these are the left and right towing wires. I had to have a fuse replaced last week as my trailer lights were out on one side.you can buy a tester which plugs into your tow bar and has a line of lights for all the different lights - indicators, brakes etc. Think they are only about £10.

If you need a new towing socket, you will need a dedicated car specific one with a micro switch - not a bog standard one you get from screwfix etc. You can order one from pf jones for instance - about £12.

Lastly. Does your tow socket have a decent rubber cover on the back to keep road cr** out? That was another issue with mine.

I learned a lot about tow electrics last week - 2 days, 2 garages and 2 new tow sockets, 1 fuse. Now working!

Sorry - that's the limit of my knowledge. Have you tried opening a car door - heard a story about an Audi dealer fitted tow bar wired into the courtesy light - electrics only worked with a door open. LOL!

Best of luck

Back