Brake Failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozukus

Today while parking the car, my Outlander PHEV shot forward, even though I had my foot firmly on the brake.

Luckily the car in front of me stopped it from hitting anything worse, like a person.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with either the brakes or the car accelerating oddly.

For reference I have a GX3h.

Cheers,

Ozukus

Not possible, if you really have got your foot firmly on the brake when stationary unless the you have hydraulic failure, in which case you would have felt the pressure release before it moved. :?

personally, i would park it up and get it towed into a dealer for a check if i suspected any problems with brakes.

Jimmac said:
personally, i would park it up and get it towed into a dealer for a check if i suspected any problems with brakes.

Ha! This MOT thing has raised a generation of motoring wusses! When I was a boy, we always pressed the brake pedal with a degree of curiosity - wondering if it was going to work this time... :twisted:

Ozukus said:
Today while parking the car, my Outlander PHEV shot forward, even though I had my foot firmly on the brake.

Luckily the car in front of me stopped it from hitting anything worse, like a person.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with either the brakes or the car accelerating oddly.

For reference I have a GX3h.

Cheers,

Ozukus

Jeez this is a subject-and-a-half. Check out the Wikipedia 'Sudden unintended acceleration' page. Statistics going back decades. I remember reading a story in the Times not long ago about some cars that allegedly did this - can't remember the make though. Wasn't Mitsubishi I don't think. Wouldn't have thought it possible with the brakes applied - would have to be engaged in drive and foot hard on the accelerator to have any hope of overwhelming four calipers locked on discs, you'd have thought. Unless the vehicle was already moving and the brakes failed completely to stop the vehicle - is that possible with a modern braking system?

I have regular nightmares about this. If it ever happened to me and I was convinced that I hadn't pressed the throttle instead of the brakes (and everyone else thinking I must have pressed the throttle not the brakes) I might go mad. Like something from the X-Files. Presumably you're going to have your Mitsubishi dealer take a very close look at the PHEV in question. Do let us know the outcome of this.

I imagine there is lots of software connecting the brake pedal to the physical braking system, for example the system that works out how much ebraking to use. Probably an interesting software state existed that got the poor thing a bit confused, and could be very hard to reproduce.
(This from someone who has a bit of inside knowledge of the state of auto software !)

NightPHEVer said:
Jeez this is a subject-and-a-half. Check out the Wikipedia 'Sudden unintended acceleration' page. Statistics going back decades. I remember reading a story in the Times not long ago about some cars that allegedly did this - can't remember the make though. Wasn't Mitsubishi I don't think. Wouldn't have thought it possible with the brakes applied - would have to be engaged in drive and foot hard on the accelerator to have any hope of overwhelming four calipers locked on discs, you'd have thought. Unless the vehicle was already moving and the brakes failed completely to stop the vehicle - is that possible with a modern braking system?

I have regular nightmares about this. If it ever happened to me and I was convinced that I hadn't pressed the throttle instead of the brakes (and everyone else thinking I must have pressed the throttle not the brakes) I might go mad. Like something from the X-Files. Presumably you're going to have your Mitsubishi dealer take a very close look at the PHEV in question. Do let us know the outcome of this.

I never had any problem on the PHEV regarding this area.

It sound unbelievable to me that the car can mistake read the brake pedal and let the acceleration to go

I personally experience this:

- When starting the car from "OFF", when I engage the D gear .. I feel sometime a little push forward if I don't have my foot on brake well firmed on it.

- On my wife car, that is a little automatic Aixam .. the pedal are a bit offset .. and if I'm not careful, sometime I pressed both brake and accelerator on the same time ... normally I realize the mistake when I start the car in this situation that the engine will revs faster then normal .. but still the car don't move since brake overpower the acceleration ... on a manual gear car the mistake is less likely to happen since people start always with a foot on clutch and this allow to get a right reference to the pedal position.

So ... I believe is relative easy to mistake one pedal from the other.

As well ... the PHEV is designed to "accelerate" once it is in gear and no pedal is pressed .. that is one of my reported bug .. the car should not start automatically like a old ICE with automatic gearbox ... there should be no power when there is no pressure on acceleration.

Only situation that can cause an issue on the PHEV .. is if the brake pedal stop sending the signal to the ECU .. but then ... there should be an error on the car .. and as well .. if the brake is not pressed the car should not even properly switch on nor should D gear engaged

PS: Having said that ... my wife on her little aixam reported couple of time that accelerator was stuck on on her little car .. once she also crash .. making a U turn .. but ... judging the little crash cause ... I'm more for believe on a woman fault then not in a car fault ...

Aixam? I thought I knew all the European manufacturers [fires up Google ...], blimey £10,000, no wonder we don't see many in the UK! Are they that expensive in Poland, or is this a 'special' UK price? :)

ChrisMiller said:
Aixam? I thought I knew all the European manufacturers [fires up Google ...], blimey £10,000, no wonder we don't see many in the UK! Are they that expensive in Poland, or is this a 'special' UK price? :)

They are spectacularly expensive for not a lot of car, aren't they?

Isn't Aixam one of those funny little French cars that can be driven with no driving licence...in France that is?

In France you see OAPs footling about in them.

A bit like a Reliant Robin*, you can drive an Aixam on a moped licence in the UK. Technically, they qualify as a quad bike.

* which needs a motorbike licence

So doing a bit of research I have found various instances related to brake failure on the Outlander PHEV, here in the UK and in the US.

In the US there has been a recall for the Outlander due to a defect in the Accelerator System.

Cheers,

Ozukus

Ozukus said:
So doing a bit of research I have found various instances related to brake failure on the Outlander PHEV, here in the UK and in the US.

In the US there has been a recall for the Outlander due to a defect in the Accelerator System.

Cheers,

Ozukus

"Drive by wire" always makes me a bit nervous!

Ozukus said:

Cheers,

Ozukus

So what particular variety of 'brake failure' did these instances include? Maybe I'm unreasonably afraid of this phenomenon due to my recurring dream of applying the brakes and nothing happening!

NightPHEVer said:
Ozukus said:

Cheers,

Ozukus

...Maybe I'm unreasonably afraid of this phenomenon due to my recurring dream of applying the brakes and nothing happening!

You get used to it - just encourages braking early!

anko said:
PHEV in the US? Did I miss something?

Nope, I didn't say Outlander PHEV, I just stated Outlander.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mitsubishi/Outlander/2016/brakes/service_brakes.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Mitsubishi/Outlander/2015/brakes/brakes_failed.shtml

I'd assume that some of the components on the Outlander are also on the Outlander PHEV, yes the PHEV will have some specific components, but the basics of the braking system by example would be the same.

But the drive train is completely different and it is that the OP referred to - the car apparently shot forward despite have a foot on the brake. No mention of the brakes themselves failing - which is obvious, as anyone who has had it will testify. :eek:

What I will say is that at least twice I have almost hit other road users when slamming on the brakes (in the dry) after the wheels locked and car slid on alarmingly (weight & tyres?). I have also been caught out sometimes by the lack of engine braking (or Regen) when having to brake unexpectedly in B0, when car doesn't slow down as quickly as I expect - again weight? This is after over 2 yearts of mainly urban driving. :oops:

Back