Improved battery warranty with capacity statement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailordoc

I thought people would be interested to know that the battery warranty for the PHEV in the UK has been improved, with a specific statement on battery capacity. People may already know this of course but I didn't!

There is now an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the traction battery, including a guarantee that if the traction battery falls below 70% capacity in 8 years / 100,000 miles a free repair or replacement will be carried out.

The warranty info can be seen at http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/battery-warranty.aspx

I emailed Mitsubishi UK to clarify whether the new warranty terms applied to existing PHEVs and received a reply stating that this battery warranty applies to all PHEVs, which is welcome news. Naturally, I've archived that email in case I ever need it!

Wondering if Mitsubishi does applies the same rules in all Europe

And if this is valid also for the 2nd owner of the car.

Also can be tricky if a car is 1st register in one country and then moved to a 2nd countries inside EU

I guess there are lot of PHEV from NL that get exported as used in the rest of continental EU , like it was the case of my PHEV

PS: In my case my battery is reported to have 94% capacity compared to new .. and it is 3.5y old ... so ... I hope to still have above 80% when the 8y mark will arrive

The UK website suggests it applies but only to cars registered after 1 July 15.
I have a Jun 14 so very interested if it applies retrospectively.
However, I bought it without the warranty so can hardly complain and I take some comfort in their faith in the battery's longevity.
Also, I haven't seen any reports of major problems which is great.

gobiman said:
The UK website suggests it applies but only to cars registered after 1 July 15.
I have a Jun 14 so very interested if it applies retrospectively.
However, I bought it without the warranty so can hardly complain and I take some comfort in their faith in the battery's longevity.
Also, I haven't seen any reports of major problems which is great.

I believe the battery warranty is separate to the general 5 year warranty, and the reply from Mitsubishi UK stated this battery warranty applied to all PHEVs. My car was registered in June 2015, but the dealer and Mitsubishi applied the 5 year warranty from new.

I suggest you contact Mitsubishi UK through their website to clarify your situation- might also be worth posting their response here for the information of others.

And just replied that it applies to all Outlander PHEVs so my Jun 14 model is covered.

I just received this, so if anyone has anything to the contrary as to when this starts from, I would be grateful to hear.

Jeff

Good Afternoon Dr Temple-Heald,

Thank you for your below clarification.

The website battery guarantee relates to vehicles registered as of 2016, therefore, 2016 model year onwards. As your vehicle is a 2014 model tear, this guarantee doesn’t apply.

I trust that this information has answered your enquiry.

Regards,

Victoria

Mitsubishi Motors in the UK
Victoria Rolfe | Senior Customer Service Advisor
Customer Services Phone: +44 1285 647774
e-mail: [email protected]

Watermoor | Cirencester | Gloucestershire | GL7 1LF
www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk | Facebook: /MitsubishiUK | Twitter: @MitsubishiUK
YouTube: /MitsubishiTV | Instagram: /mitsubishimotorsuk | Pinterest: /mitsubishiuk

Ok - that's what I had back below -

Thank you for your website enquiry.

This is on all Outlander PHEVs, so this does include your vehicle.

Kind regards,

Simon

Simon Kent | Customer Services Advisor

YouTube: /MitsubishiTV | Instagram: /mitsubishimotorsuk | Pinterest: /mitsubishiuk

Original enquiry -

Dear Sir or Madam,
I understand that there is now an 8 year warranty for the battery on an Outlander PHEV.
Does this apply just to new vehicles or retrospectively to older cars? Mine is a Jun 2014 model.
Thank you.

Let me know how you get on.
I notice that your's was a "senior" customer service adviser - mine just a common garden one.
Good luck!
Jonny

Regretfully, I have just received this . . .

Good Morning Dr Temple-Heald,

I have now spoken with our Warranty Department for clarification.

Firstly I must apologise, the information provided to my colleague Simon was incorrect.

The website battery guarantee does only relate to vehicles registered as of 2016.

Once again, I am sorry for the miscommunication.

Regards,

Victoria

Victoria Rolfe | Senior Customer Service Advisor

Hmm. My response was also from Simon Kent so unfortunately it looks as though he has given out the wrong information on a few occasions :x

I'm going to email again and demand to know what the correct battery warranty is.

And I don't think "vehicles registered as of 2016" actually gives you a clear statement of the situation. What do those words mean ?
I think I'm ok as I have a 2016 vehicle.

Just received this reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Firstly, there appeared to be some confusion regarding this matter, we have now had confirmation –

The traction battery on the Outlander PHEV comes with a warranty of 8 Years / 100,000 miles, This includes a guarantee that if the traction battery capacity falls below 70% in the first 8 years/100,000 miles a free repair or replacement will be provided.
This however, following confirmation from the factory and our warranty department is only applicable to 16MY PHEV’s onwards.

I trust this is of assistance and our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Kind regards,

Simon

Simon Kent | Customer Services Advisor

I have sent this in return:

Dear Simon Kent,

Thank you, but you have not answered my question. I asked you what warranty terms apply to my 2015 Outlander PHEV, and that furthermore I wanted an explicit statement as to what percentage loss of original traction battery capacity would be grounds for repair or replacement within the warranty period. Please now answer the questions I asked.

I'll post whatever response I get. Their customer service department is shockingly bad....

Bizarrely, I have received the following reply from Mitsubishi UK:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Further on from my e-mail below.

With regards to your model/year of the PHEV -

MMC warrants that the main battery maintains a Capacity of 70% or more, during a period of:
• 8 years from date of first registration of the vehicle, or 100,000 miles whichever comes first.

On customer complaint basis and in case the main battery Capacity is less than 70%, replacement of the main battery is covered by warranty.

I trust this is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Simon"

This is the same as the 16MY car! I've emailed again just to double check......

Well, it appears to be correct! Just received this response to my email:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm the below is correct and this relates to - Main traction Battery Capacity Warranty.

Kind regards,

Simon"

Back