Ground Clearance error?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailordoc

I have just measured the ground clearance under the thicker part of the exhaust on my unladen 2015 (original specification) PHEV, and it was only 167mm, far below the quoted ground clearance of 190mm. The tyres are 225/55R18 at 35 psi so all as per specification.

What I am not sure about is whether this represents a mistake in their quoted ground clearance (which is the same as the diesel) or whether Mitsubishi have simply put the exhaust on wrong. The exhaust does not look twisted in any way, but does seem to sit a little bit lower than the battery pack. Can anyone enlighten me?

Well, I've had several replies on the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Facebook page, confirming ground clearances of 167-175mm. To put it into context the Toyota Prius has a ground clearance of 165mm! However, if anyone else can measure and post here I'd be grateful, as it is still a possibility that exhausts have been incorrectly fitted rather than a blatant lie about ground clearance.

There may of course be another explanation. This is just conjecture, but I believe it is common for SUV manufacturers to quote ground clearance in an unladen vehicle as it gives them a higher figure. However, in the UK the unladen weight excludes fuel and batteries in an electric vehicle. If that is how it was measured, it could account for the shockingly bad real life ground clearance I suppose?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-weights-explained

The context of this definition is "driving license". Imho this does not have to say anything about the definition of "unladen" in the context of "ground clearance". Or, for example, I the context of "road taxes".

BTW: ground clearance is about the same with mine (17 cm). I am not in shock, though ;)

anko said:
The context of this definition is "driving license". Imho this does not have to say anything about the definition of "unladen" in the context of "ground clearance". Or, for example, I the context of "road taxes".

BTW: ground clearance is about the same with mine (17 cm). I am not in shock, though ;)

Thanks for that. It does match the measurements I got and the Facebook group. As you are not in shock, I presume you never take it off the tarmac :lol: For a manufacturer to get something so basic wrong (or even worse lie) is rather worrying.

I do suspect they have simply taken the diesel Outlander ground clearance and applied it to the PHEV, forgetting about the exhaust routing. As my off road use is more occasional rough tracks than real off roading it isn't a deal breaker for me right now, but it does add to the catalogue of issues with the car that mean I doubt I'll buy another one unless they fix them. It's a shame because I think that PHEV has a lot to offer the SUV market, but I disagree with them marketing it as an SUV that is capable off road when it isn't. Here is a direct quote from their website:

Q: CAN I DRIVE THE OUTLANDER PHEV OFF ROAD?
Yes, the twin-motor 4WD system and Mitsubishi’s proven Super All Wheel Control system provide the vehicle with superb off road ability. The power delivered from the Electric Motor and Internal Combustion Engine is able to deliver 200bhp to the wheels.

The PHEV exhaust certainly does look like a bit of an afterthought. Reminds me of a Morris Minor installation from the 1960s. It's as if they forgot that it would need one, got a prototype made up for test purposes and then inavertently the prototype got put into production. Does the 'facelift' model have the same system? It certainly wouldn't last long in any more than a 'soft roading' adventure. I've had quite a lot of actual off roading experience in the past (Land Rover Defender, Series IIA, Discovery and Jeep Cherokee XJ) and would say that a PHEV has about the same off roading limitations of a 4X4 car such as Subaru Forrester or Audi Allroad (actually a lot better than you might think, but not anything like a Land Rover). A PHEV would not be in the same league off road as many of the other 'soft' 4X4 SUVs, mainly I would think because of the vulnerable exhaust, and also the limitations of the tyres and the fear of cosmetic damage that apply to all soft roaders.

Don't know if this helps, but have found this post (old) on another forum:

Problem Solved
Exhaust - muffler join was twisted when fitting tow bar assembly. Clearance now as specified.

Here's the topic:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/outlander-phev-ground-clearance_topic4625.html

AndyInOz said:
Don't know if this helps, but have found this post (old) on another forum:

Problem Solved
Exhaust - muffler join was twisted when fitting tow bar assembly. Clearance now as specified.

Here's the topic:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/outlander-phev-ground-clearance_topic4625.html

Alas, no. I have no tow bar, and the ground clearance is the same along much of the exhaust along the side of the car. Still not sure whether this is a generalised error or just sloppy build quality in some cars

I must admit when I first purchased a second hand car, when looking from afar I saw what looks like a brown exhust pipe along the bottom. I am not crouching down, but to see the exhust along the side of the car, I thought perhaps it was a bit dislodged or something. turned out wasn't. It does look like a bit of an after thought - perhaps the designers "oh cr*p" moment!

Well as the pipe and silencers seems to be made of some kind of stainless steel I actually clean mine - no really! Then the brown effect is a more appealing shiny silver effect. I use wet 'n' dry paper with water to clean off the rusty brown bits, and even Solvol polish. My PHEV has only done 6000 miles though. I believe although actually 'stainless steel', stainless steel systems do in fact acquire surface rust (I had an SS system on a Land Rover once and that got surface rust after a while) but they don't rot like mild steel systems do. Something to do with the type of SS that is used. Not the same grade as is used for SS fasteners. I believe a lot - if not all cars - now have stainless exhausts in order to achieve expected emmision/warranty periods.

My 10 year old Smart ForTwo has a stainless silencer but the hollow, mild steel 'hangers' fell off after about 4 years! Made some new hangers from long cylinder head bolts which were welded on to the silencer. Still there after 10 years.

Ferritic Stainless steel does rust austenitic Stainless steel does not. Try a magnet test. Magnet sticks to ferritic but not to austenitic.

Further to the obvious excitement to be had from polishing my exhaust so it's shiny silver instead of rusty brown it does - once polished - actually stay that way with very little effort. I thought it would quickly appear 'rusty' again but so far no. I actually remove the rear silencer to clean it as it's a lot easier off the car rather than on. It's only held on by one clamp bolt and some rubber hangers. Takes about 5 minutes to get it off (assuming the 'clamp' is not seized - I squirted lots of WD40 over mine and wiggled it free - now it easily comes off). It'll be interesting to see if winter salt 'n' sludge has more of a detrimental impact on the shiny finish. Won't it be interesting? My girlfriend doesn't think so, even though I've offered her the opportunity to help polish it she still doesn't seem very keen.

I was looking underneath a new PHEV in the showroom the other day and yes, it still has the same exhaust design!

Back