iPod woes

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboy686

OK, so I know that this has been discussed before, but it really is doing my head in.

My iPod (nor my wife's, nor my son's, nor the Dealer salesman's) will not properly work with my car. Having been promised it would - it does not.

I plug it in, the display says iPod connected.. Great! And it starts play the tracks on it in alphabetical order. But, go to the menu and it will not list the Artists, or Albums, or Genres, or Playlists. Each time it just goes away for a little while and comes back with "No File Found". It will however list all of the tracks on the iPod, you can scroll through and select and play them.

Now, the dealer I bought it from says that his iPod works OK in his PHEV, but he tried it in mine, and it was the same result as I get. He later told me that all the other Mitsubishis in the showroom also behaved the same as mine does with his iPod. I'm waiting for him to come back with a solution (I won't hold my breath!). But in the meantime, if anyone else has experienced this and, more importantly, got a solution, please let me know!!

Thanks,
Nigel.

If you search the forum there are others that have issues with iPods and the prior threads may be able to help you.

The poor quality of the in-car audio isn't worth listening to in my opinion, absolutely terrible for a £40k car, it's only fit for talk radio.

The Mrs does listen to music in the car (anything as long as it is the Pet Shop Boys). The music is on a SD card in the MMCS, which is also fraught with it's own difficulties such as order of the tracks being wrong.

As you can tell I'm not a fan of MMCS :lol:

What timing, just got both barrels from the Mrs who has lost the will to live trying to add extra tracks to the SD card, adding the tracks is fine, tracks are being ignored by MMCS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My old iPod generally works fine, runs playlists, shuffle, skip, etc, no problem. It occasionally gets a bit lost, but then power off/on sorts it out.
One little gripe is I wish it would remember which playlist it was playing when the car is turned off, but there are more important things we'd like the car to remember across shutdowns, right ?

Can I ask you, ps44, the size of your iPod - and roughly how many tracks you have on there? It seems that that could be a factor.

SolarBoy, there seems to be a limit to the number of tracks the MMCS will recognise on an SD card - maybe your other half has run into that limit?

I agree, in a £40k+ car the MMCS is shockingly bad.

Nigel.

fatboy686 said:
SolarBoy, there seems to be a limit to the number of tracks the MMCS will recognise on an SD card - maybe your other half has run into that limit?

Sorted it last night, only took a few hours ...

Had to reduce the track filenames sizes, would only work on USB not the user SD card.

On user SD card the track order would be in completely the wrong, USB has a different set of options.

Only has 10GB of songs loaded.

In my opinion it's not fit for purpose.

As I use the my phone for SatNav because the MMCS SatNav is so awful, I suppose I should just stream music from my phone as well and have done with it ...

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with the Outlander PHEV :lol:

The MMCS isn't all bad, although some aspects are.

I usually stream music from my phone (Spotify, Apple Music, Soundcloud etc) over bluetooth with no problems whatsoever....as long as I have wifi turned off.

I don't think the sound quality is that bad at all. Ok, it's not super premium but it's certainly comparable with a lot of other cars IMO

I gave up using the phone connected via USB in 'iPod' mode early on. Just didn't appear to work at all with some wacky behaviour.

I have an SD card inserted which has about two dozen albums on. All play perfectly, include cover art and no complaints. Maybe if I ported my whole library I would run into issues.

CD player is fine, as CD players go. Think I've only used it the once.

The DAB radio is fantastic though, as are the various Economy stats/display. The Sat Nav feels very 'last generation' but I've seen shocking implementations of this in other cars too. I tend to use the sat nav to get into the rough area I want to go, and then switch to phone navigation for the more intricate task of finding the exact place.

What bugs me about car makers and media players is that generally you get what you are given and that is it. There is little work on firmware updates or the sort of stuff you take for granted when you buy any other form of technology. My biggest gripe above all others is the bluetooth bug where the phone/audio drops momentarily if wifi is turned on. It's happened since day 1, happens to others although Mitsubishi appear to deny it exists as a problem and I've given up hope of it ever being fixed now.

Yes it seems like there are a lot of problems with the media side of the MMCS. DAB radio is OK, but for some reason mine just won't find BBC Radio 5 Live, but I can live with that.

It my personal music library that I have problems with. The car gives me 4 ways of playing my music through the system (iPod, SD card, USB stick and Bluetooth), none of which work particularly well - especially if you have a large amount of tracks.

In my last car (an aging Jaguar X-Type) there was no provision for any of these playback options - which was the only thing that was missing, the car had everything else I wanted - so I installed a Parrot Mk3200i, and it just worked with all of the above. That is a £100-ish piece of kit - not expensive for what it did. I was looking forward to having a similar but integrated solution in my new car.

I love my new PHEV for everything else, but I can't believe that in a car so sophisticated and technically advanced that they can't get an effing iPod connection to work. God knows who tested it when it was being designed!

OK. Rant over.
Time to drive home :)
Nigel.

I have an iPhone 7+ with 256Gb memory and it has 125Gb of music on it - in fact my entire music collection of over 12,500 tracks loaded via iTunes. I connect to the MMCS via bluetooth and have never had a problem. I also stream Spotify tracks the same way and that works. I have streamed radio via the phone in the past (internet radio) in a similar manner.

I can also do the same to my £70 radio (Sony) in my Eunos Roadster with no issues and it also has a 3.5mm input for my iBasso Audio DX80 music player.

I have to agree that the MMCS is not great at linking with an iPhone etc but at least it did do it. Mine has now stopped even seeing the phone or giving me the option of connecting an external device. This means I can't play music from the phone or receive incoming calls (the system for dialing out is so awful I simply don't use it as it's positively dangerous). Any ideas how I can get the car to recognise the phone again?
Thanks

Just got back to this.

If it ain't broke don't fix it :x

I decided to tidy up my ipod and remove a bunch of stuff I never listen to, and to see if reduced content would improve things.
MMCS will now only play the songs in alphabetical order. It won't shuffle play, and cant find playlists, or artist/album lists.
Nice.

Going for a factory reset and start from scratch with the contents....

Did you add any unusual characters to the folder, playlist or song names?

Someone here posted the limited list of characters that are supported by the Blutooth version used by the car, but I haven't been able to find it.

Andy

It's USB connected and worked fine before I stared pruning songs, so there can't be much wrong with the naming. And doing a factory reset and reload of the iPod made no difference to the behaviour. I also tried it with another iPod and had the same poor result. Very odd. I can't find anything in the MMCS where I can tell it to forget all it ever knew about an iPod and try again.

Next thing is to put the music on my phone and try to play from there - it works fine as a connected phone in the car and to play podcasts, so fingers crossed...

Back