My car hit while parked

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarBoy

The Mrs was doing the school run, parked up, walked our infant to his classroom, and came back to this:

ng3mmp.jpg

The mum that hit it stuck around, she's managed to give herself a few go faster stripes on her car and pressed in 3 panels on her Hyundai.

I have dashcam footage of the mum driving into my car, and she isn't contesting any of it.

Insurance want a small local bodyshop to fix it, I'm not confident they'll manage to do a decent job as the car is pearlescent white. I also have no idea if they know how to fix EVs.

The fog lamp holder is cracked, the bumper section has a few cracks, and the paint has been removed.

I'm a bit annoyed, I'd only washed it the night before, and I'll no doubt be driving an ICE car for a number of days whilst it's fixed.

Anyway, is there anything I should be concerned about, the car is a company car and although it drives me mad with it's annoying habits I don't want it bodged and it on balance is a nice piece of kit (if you ignore MMCS).

As I understand it you are well within your rights to request it is repaired at an authorised repair centre - typically the dealer.

I also believe you can hire an equivalent sized car as, afte all, why should you be put out by the person crashing into you. The cost will need to be charged to her insurance so I would request for them to sort it in the first place. If you end up with an ICE and can demonstrate the additional cost you have incurred, you can charge that to them too (although be clear with them you will be doing this and give them an option of sourcing a phev).

I ram into the rear of another car when it started and stopped suddenly at roundabout. And a lady rammed into me. You needs genuine Mits patts , go for a standard garage. Best ring Mitsubishi First they will sort everything out.

SolarBoy said:
.........Insurance want a small local bodyshop to fix it, I'm not confident they'll manage to do a decent job as the car is pearlescent white. I also have no idea if they know how to fix EVs.

The fog lamp holder is cracked, the bumper section has a few cracks, and the paint has been removed.....................Anyway, is there anything I should be concerned about, the car is a company car and although it drives me mad with it's annoying habits I don't want it bodged and it on balance is a nice piece of kit (if you ignore MMCS).

Who is your Insurer?

Who is the third party's insurer?

Which one of them is handling the claim?

JimB

Lance said:
As I understand it you are well within your rights to request it is repaired at an authorised repair centre - typically the dealer.

I also believe you can hire an equivalent sized car as, afte all, why should you be put out by the person crashing into you. The cost will need to be charged to her insurance so I would request for them to sort it in the first place. If you end up with an ICE and can demonstrate the additional cost you have incurred, you can charge that to them too (although be clear with them you will be doing this and give them an option of sourcing a phev).
Thanks Lance, replacement will be via Enterprise, the nearest similar 4x4 automatic for a large family of 5 seems to be Volvo XC60 or equivalent.

Am expecting a call from the insurer so will put to them that because I have solar panels, the insurer can pay for any fuel I use. I have used about 2 gallons in the Outlander since just under 3 months ago.

Kesto said:
I ram into the rear of another car when it started and stopped suddenly at roundabout. And a lady rammed into me. You needs genuine Mits patts , go for a standard garage. Best ring Mitsubishi First they will sort everything out.
Thank you, I have been assured that genuine Mitsubishi parts will be used, it's a company car and although I may or may not purchase it at the end of the lease, I'd like it to look good. I will fight in the corner for the lease company because if it's a bodge I'll be responsible on returning the vehicle.

Many thanks all for insights and if there are more please keep them coming.

Claymore said:
Who is your Insurer?

Who is the third party's insurer?

Which one of them is handling the claim?

JimB
Thanks JimB, at the moment I am dealing with the lease company directly, as per their procedure. Do have to add that it only happened yesterday, Tuesday, so still very early days. Insurance is on a company policy, I know who it is, oddly enough my Dad was the UK Director there back in the 80s/90s...

I am expecting a contact from the insurer as my wife has been deemed 'responsible' for the vehicle despite being, and I've measured more accurately, 200 meters away as the crow flies.

I feel sorry for the Mrs, this is the second not at fault, not moving whilst someone else hit her, incident in 2 years.

OK, it's just that really is nothing to motivate insurers to carry out shoddy repair work on damaged vehicles - they'll only have to pay for it to be done again and their reputation, if they're bothered about that, will suffer.

JimB

SolarBoy said:
..... I also have no idea if they know how to fix EVs.

The fog lamp holder is cracked, the bumper section has a few cracks, and the paint has been removed.

I doubt they'll find much 'EV' stuff around the paint and replacing the front bumper! :lol:

SolarBoy said:
it's a company car and although I may or may not purchase it at the end of the lease, I'd like it to look good

Off topic, but I'm in a similar possession (my own company, leased through Lex). I thought about buying my PHEV when the lease ends (even though I completely understand that it's a pure lease-rental agreement and I've no right to do so), but when I was on the phone to Lex about something else, I asked about this and they simply said "not possible".

It may be that this is just a 'computer says no' problem and I'd need to try higher up the corporate food chain. Or perhaps Lex have an iron-clad contract that they must sell all such vehicles on to some third party operation. It seems a bit daft, because I'm pretty sure that (like most of us who haven't abused their cars or discovered they had a 'Friday afternoon' model) I'd be prepared to pay significantly more than it would fetch at auction, which I assume would be its ultimate fate.

Anyone have any inside knowledge or experience relevant to my question?

Anyway, sorry to interrupt your thread, SolarBoy - hope everything goes well with your repairs.

Back in Feb a Mr White Van Man in a hurry smashed my driver's door mirror and did not stop. The car is a fleet car so they put it into a local repair shop slightly further away than the Mitsubishi main dealer.
Had a shock when they asked me to authorise the invoice. I actually phoned the main dealer to get their prices. Local place is charging alost an extra £250 just for the mirror, they are asking £400 for labour, Main dealer said about £100 but worst of all they are billing £400 for paint which would be enough to respray the whole car.
So the moral is that local repair shops can be a lot more expensive than the main dealer. Better to get a few quotes.

Dusz said:
Back in Feb a Mr White Van Man in a hurry smashed my driver's door mirror and did not stop. The car is a fleet car so they put it into a local repair shop slightly further away than the Mitsubishi main dealer.
Had a shock when they asked me to authorise the invoice. I actually phoned the main dealer to get their prices. Local place is charging alost an extra £250 just for the mirror, they are asking £400 for labour, Main dealer said about £100 but worst of all they are billing £400 for paint which would be enough to respray the whole car.
So the moral is that local repair shops can be a lot more expensive than the main dealer. Better to get a few quotes.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Going through getting some quotes for work on our house, and second quote is a third of the cost of the first quote, so yes good advice.

It's a car repair place in the next town, unfortunately, or fortunately, I have no say in the matter. Having had my own car written off just 2 years ago or by a driver on the wrong side of the road, I have little appetite to argue.

Seems like they may get the parts, spray it all up, bake it, then have my car for a day or so to bolt on the replacement bits. I've tested the sensors, washer thingy, fog light, they all work perfectly.

Probably will happen during the school holidays, so if so, I'll skip the replacement vehicle out of not wanting to contaminate myself driving an ICE* (*also I won't live it down with my mates who I constantly rib about their dirty diesels :D )

Car got picked this morning, I am told it may be back tomorrow if there is no further damage identified.

Elected to go without a replacement car, if it turns out they need to keep it to Thursday/Friday I'm going to get something delivered.

It's funny having nothing on the driveway! :lol:

Just hope nobody is helping themselves to my charge point whilst I'm asleep ;)

Disaster on top of disaster ... instead of 2 to 3 days, car was away for 11 days and came back with a bad case of acne and a colour match issue that even my mother-in-law could see.

Survived on Ubers etc, but car going back to the garage and this time we'll get a replacement vehicle on the driveway even if it's powered by liquidised unicorns.

I rang the Mitsubishi Assistance Program (MAP) number when my o/s alloys were badly scraped and they handled everything insurance wise, loan car and made sure a Mitsi recommended repairer was used. I sent them the dash cam footage showing the numpty pull across the front of me and me swerving to miss him - hence the two alloys damaged..

It's FOC and they did the leg work for me. All done and finished.

Steve

Well the Outlander has gone back to the body shop for them to re-do their work.

The shame, I have a Nissan Squashie as a rental car. Diesel. It is horrible. Loud. Clunky. The hill-start sucks. Ugh. Interior is worse than the Outlander.

The only thing I do like is the panoramic sunroof shade that goes all the the way to the back.

I want my Outlander PHEV back!

If for any reason anybody in the UK feels the urge to contact 'Mitsubishi First' (or MAP the same thing?) regarding any insurance claim I strongly recommend that you enquire of Mitsubishi First, very carefully, that your particular insurance provider is fully ‘on board’ and are totally in agreement with Mitsubishi First in all respects, when it comes to any repair claim. Quite how you'd know whether this is the case or not before the event I’m none too sure. A read of your insurers policy guide will clarify that likelyhood. Maybe enquire of your insurer whether or not they recognise the phenomenon that is Mitsubish First when you take out the policy? If you read the promotional material from Mitsubishi First you’ll see what I mean regarding the idea that you contact them and not your insurer - which may or may not be a good idea, in my experience I’m really not sure. I’m no lawyer but presumably your legal agreement is with your insurer, to whom you have paid money.

In fact I would recommend that you read your insurer's policy guide very carefully (be prepared for a few surprises perhaps!) if you imagine that using genuine Mitsubishi parts and an approved Mitsubishi repair shop, is a realistic possibility. Based on recent experience of a windscreen claim, all I can say is that your insurance provider might not agree. Mitsubishi First made a bit of a mistake with my enquiry and subsequent claim, but did rectify their mistake to my complete satisaction. This ‘mistake' did cost them a bit though. I do now have a genuine Mitsubishi replacement windscreen with genuine Mitsubishi seals and clips, fitted at a Mitsubishi dealer (£833 inc vat!). But my insurance company were not at all willing to pay for it.

This unwillingness on the part of some insurers to use genuine manufacturers' parts and repair shops may explain why certain insurance policies are a lot cheaper than others. Maybe you are ‘within your rights to request’ but I’m not sure whether the insurance provider has to take any notice of that request. It would seem that there could well be some ongoing disagreement between car manufacturers (not just Mitsubishi) and insurance providers when it comes to the use of genuine manufacturers' parts and repairs.

It is a company car NightPHEVer so there was no choice unfortunately, and main dealer was turned down by the contracted management company despite me not being at fault (and dashcam to prove it).

NightPHEVer's post got me thinking. Because my car is on personal contract hire I wanted to ensure that any repairs were done using genuine manufacturer's parts. I opted for Mitsubishi's own insurance that guarantees this but is considerably more expensive. I reckon that if Mitsubishi First and Mitsubishi Insurance fall out they had better work it out for themselves.

However, what I did not consider was what happens if an accident is not my fault but the other party's insurance refuses to pay for genuine parts in a Mitsubishi approved workshop. Hey-ho, just hope it doesn't happen.

When mine had a crunch it took forever to be fixed. Like Solar's mine is a leased company car but the companies insurance handler took care of it, not really any choice, the local bodyshop. Did come with a free courtesy car as long as mine was in, a Corsa - how many times did I bang my head getting in? :oops:

Eventually came back but on collection inspection the plastic sill was clearly hanging loose, they had a go at refitting it then conceded. It was never admitted but we both knew they had broken some of the mounts. I continued to drive it though until again ages when a new sill came in.

This time they fitted it OK. Car looks OK generally but disappointingly there is some over-spray on the cables and seals where the door hinges. I assumed they would spray the new wing off the car then fit! To a prospective buyer its now obvious its had work.

Its a Lex car and we have always been offered the chance to buy at the end, maybe that's changed? not that I would want it.

BobEngineer said:
Its a Lex car and we have always been offered the chance to buy at the end, maybe that's changed? not that I would want it.
Mine is a company* car on a Lex lease-rental, so there's no contractual option to buy at the end of the lease (I think this is fairly standard for company leasing). I asked Lex whether I could make them an offer (almost certainly better than what they could get at auction, which is where I imagine it would end up) and they said 'not interested'.

Seems a bit daft to me as I'm trying to offer them free money, but perhaps it's just "computer says no" and I need to ask again at a more senior level. Or maybe Lex have a binding agreement that all their cars are sold on to a third party for ultimate disposal (in which case, it's really them I need to contact). I'm by no means desperate to hang onto it, but it would be nice to have the option.

* The 'company' is just me, but it's a genuine Ltd.

ChrisMiller said:
BobEngineer said:
Mine is a company* car on a Lex lease-rental, so there's no contractual option to buy at the end of the lease (I think this is fairly standard for company leasing). I asked Lex whether I could make them an offer (almost certainly better than what they could get at auction, which is where I imagine it would end up) and they said 'not interested'.

Seems a bit daft to me as I'm trying to offer them free money, but perhaps it's just "computer says no" and I need to ask again at a more senior level. Or maybe Lex have a binding agreement that all their cars are sold on to a third party for ultimate disposal (in which case, it's really them I need to contact). I'm by no means desperate to hang onto it, but it would be nice to have the option.

* The 'company' is just me, but it's a genuine Ltd.

Yes, I saw your post earlier which is why I mentioned it in case you saw. Strange isn't it?

Back