A Couple of Issues

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uptodat

Now 3 years old and 34k miles. Had just had service and MOT when the handbrake went slack and failed to hold. Diagnosed as a seized rear brake caliper - as Bob Engineer's. Dealer told me they had seen a few of these on ASXs but mine was the first they'd seen on a PHEV. Part obtained next day and fixed under warranty - phew.
Then last week I got a windscreen stone chip that caused a 20 inch crack at eye line, driver's side. I have full, no excess glass cover so got on to Autoglass. After deliberating about what features - rain detection, lane deviation etc, I was asked if it was acoustic glass. Pass. I followed instructions to look for an ear symbol on the f.n.s. which I couldn't find, so non-acoustic it was. I was told 3-5 days, but then was called back to say 7 days minimum but apparently they can't be had for love nor money and it might be quite a wait. They do try to source from dealers apparently. Fortunately mine is drive-able but it makes you wonder how long your car could be off road if the whole screen was smashed.
Everything else on the car is fine and I will probably go for another in time, despite the illogical new VEL regime. I hope they improve the MMCS and poor satnav before then.

That's not good news. My MOT is due in September and is unlikely to pass due to the number, size and position of many small cracks and chips in the screen. I may get onto Autoglass and ask about pre-ordering a screen, if that's possible.

UK MOT Rules for Windscreens

The MOT test is an annual check on the roadworthiness, safety and emissions of most vehicles older than three years to ensure that they meet road safety and environmental standards.

Windscreens and the MOT test

The MOT test covers the condition of the windscreen plus that of the windscreen wipers and washers.

You car may fail its MOT if:

The washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the windscreen wipers

The windscreen wipers are missing, insecure or in poor condition so that they do not clear the windscreen to give the driver a clear view of the road ahead

The windscreen is chipped or cracked. The maximum damage size is 10mm in the drivers’ line of vision (a vertical strip 290mm wide centred on the steering wheel), 40mm elsewhere in the rest of the area swept by the wiper blades.

Even a small windscreen chip within a driver's line of vision could cause a windscreen to fail an MOT test, so drivers hoping to pass their MOT should make sure windscreens are repaired or replaced as necessary before an MOT test takes place.

MOT Windscreen repairs

As a small windscreen chip could cause windscreens to crack or lead to cars failing the MOT test, it's important to repair windscreens to an acceptable standard before your MOT assessment.

Autoglass® can quickly repair chipped windscreens to British standard BS AU242a:1998, so windscreen repairs are flush with the surrounding glass and almost invisible.

However, not all windscreen chips can be repaired - even by our expert team. Cracked windscreens or badly chipped windscreens will need to be replaced before an MOT inspection occurs.

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-r...-repair/mot-windscreen-rules-and-regulations/

I had autoglass replace my screen a couple of weeks ago due to a stone hitting the screen bang in the middle and only 1cm from the top so it instantly crack. Autoglass came out within two days and unfortunately the new screen was no good as had a load of chips and scratches on it. That meant they had to come back the next day after getting another screen.

I'm still waiting to hear from Autoglass. :( Hoping someone makes some soon... Mine would be a definite MOT fail but fortunately I just got it tested. Perhaps a zealous traffic cop would pull me over - if such a beast still existed.

Uptodat said:
..... Perhaps a zealous traffic cop would pull me over - if such a beast still existed.

In which case, it has only just happened and you are trying to get to a place where you can get it fixed!

Hmm interesting, I am still waiting for a call back from the dealer to say brake parts were in, seems like not hard to get then!

I better chase them up.

Windscreen - pretty sure mine would fail MOT, the driver side crack was 'repaired' but it looks worse or no change, the bigger one is way over middle of passenger side so can wait.

I just know the minute I get it done a meteorite will fall from the sky and smash it again, just the way my luck goes....

Back