New Owner First Impressions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beltizar

Firstly, thanks for allowing me in. This forum was a hugely positive influence in my decision to choose an Outlander Phev as my new company car. The model I have is a 2016 MY Juro - which is based on the 3h with a couple of extras. It has an electric heater, Android Auto (brilliant!), heated seats, reverse beepers and I am truly delighted with it.

I only live 8 miles from work so unless I am travelling to visit customers, I am on battery only. Mileage incurred when visiting customers is reclaimed on expenses so happy days. Obviously family days out will involve ICE too but on balance I should save quite a bit as +90% of my use will be on electric.

First impressions:
1. Coming from a Nissan Qashqai, the Outlander is bigger, smoother, feels more premium
2. My running costs are minimal. I have used roughly half a tank of petrol in 4 weeks - all claimed back on expenses
3. It is a pleasure to drive.
3. Other cars are very noisy!
4. Android Auto is great. Voice control is truly excellent and mostly reliable.
5. I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the leather seats
6. Charging at home is so much more convenient than a trip to the petrol station every week or two
7. Based on my almost identical daily commute, It estimates 27 miles of EV use, which is more than enough for my daily use
8. I quite like using the paddles but am so far unconvinced they make a noticeable difference
9. Ditto Eco-Mode - although that may be because of point 10
10. Air Con reduces my range considerably. I have rediscovered the simple pleasure of an open window instead.

My only real journey of note so far was a 180 mile round trip to Birmingham where I returned 49.5 mpg, using both the EV and ICE. I drive light footed and used B0 on the M6 where possible. I don't know if that figure is good or bad but It doesn't seem bad to me for a vehicle of this weight.

I truly have not found anything to dislike so far.

I do have a question though: Is there a way of seeing the lifetime average mpg since I have had it rather than trip A? I have looked in the settings but confess I have not opened the manual yet

Thanks in advance

beltizar said:
8. I quite like using the paddles but am so far unconvinced they make a noticeable difference
As your regular journey is quite short, at least for the first few miles regeneration from the brakes will be restricted so as not to overcharge the battery (assuming you're topping up the battery before setting out). You should feel more difference on the way back when the battery has depleted a little.

49.5 mpg is very good - even allowing for 30 miles on the battery, that's still better than 40 mpg. Motorway cruising at around the speed limit gives me ~35 mpg.

Hi Beltizar

I am also a new owner as from last Friday a 9/16 3h+ with sat nav, Dab and Apple car play.

I am very glad I didn't pay a lot more for a 4h, I can do without the auto tailgate and sunroof and all the other twiddly things (but I do miss the camera).

I came from a RAV4 hybrid excel, a lovely car which on more than a 10 mile run would return at least 45mpg but for me it had a couple of drawbacks; 1) the load space was useless with folded seats sticking up and 2) very bad mpg on short journeys.

The PHEV solves these problems.

I have been impressed by the range (maybe because it's warm?). The dealer told me to expect 22-25 miles on the battery but yesterday I did 28 miles and got home with some battery still left. He also told me not to use ECO mode as his customers had found it made things worse trying to compensate for it so I haven't tried it yet. With the RAV I developed a drive and roll technique which works well using B0 but I have used the higher settings to slow downs before junctions.

I only do around 5000 miles a year and before the purchase I based my calculations on 22 mile range and realised I'd save at least £300 pa on fuel cost and also the PHEV is group 25 whereas the RAV was a 34.

Also for some reason my family think I suit the PHEV more although I'm not sure how to take that comment........

beltizar said:
I do have a question though: Is there a way of seeing the lifetime average mpg since I have had it rather than trip A? I have looked in the settings but confess I have not opened the manual yet

Thanks in advance

The Trip A and Trip B (on the dials beside the speedo) are purely to record distance travelled since last reset, and they are completely independent of the mpg calculation, which is displayed on the MMCS screen.

The MMCS has two options – Manual and Auto. Manual shows the overall mpg since it was last reset by yourself, and Auto resets itself automatically every 4 hours. So, if you want to know lifetime mpg since you got the car, you need to reset the Manual counter yourself, and then just leave it.

The display is somewhat confusing. In the EV information screens, you will see a button for ‘Manual’ in the bottom left, and a display showing ‘Auto Mode’ in the top right (and vice versa). The indicator top right shows which display you are currently looking at, and the bottom left is a button to switch to the other display. So you want the screen to be showing ‘Manual mode’ top right, and ‘Auto’ bottom left, which means you are looking at the Manual mpg indicator which will be cumulative since you last reset it manually.

geoffshep69 said:
beltizar said:

Thanks in advance

The Trip A and Trip B (on the dials beside the speedo) are purely to record distance travelled since last reset, and they are completely independent of the mpg calculation, which is displayed on the MMCS screen.

The MMCS has two options – Manual and Auto. Manual shows the overall mpg since it was last reset by yourself, and Auto resets itself automatically every 4 hours. So, if you want to know lifetime mpg since you got the car, you need to reset the Manual counter yourself, and then just leave it.

The display is somewhat confusing. In the EV information screens, you will see a button for ‘Manual’ in the bottom left, and a display showing ‘Auto Mode’ in the top right (and vice versa). The indicator top right shows which display you are currently looking at, and the bottom left is a button to switch to the other display. So you want the screen to be showing ‘Manual mode’ top right, and ‘Auto’ bottom left, which means you are looking at the Manual mpg indicator which will be cumulative since you last reset it manually.

Thanks I will take a look although I am pretty sure I have an inferior system to the MMCS system, I have what is termed the MGN (Mitsubishi Global Navigation) which I don't think is the same thing. It has a 6.5" screen vs the 7" MMCS. I can see no setting for the car mpg in this, only the trip mpg on the dashboard.

http://www.firs-garage.com/news/view/214-new-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-juro

This shows the unit I have, if anyone is interested. Thanks for your help but I haven't found anything yet so am doubtful my car has this function. I shall report back if I find something

Ah OK, my apologies, I didn’t realise you didn’t have the MMCS screen so I’m afraid I can’t help with how it works on a non MMCS version.

Hi guys
Another phev newbie here. Also up/side-grading from a Qashqai diesel.

My journey is around 50 miles x2 a day, so my trip is half electric and half petrol.

Loving the car so far, but it has been at the dealers for half the 3 weeks I have had it - opted for additional parking sensors front and rear, and the fronts would come on randomly. They had to have a few goes at getting it sorted, but all ok now.

I am very pleased with the battery range.

Today I travelled to Tunbridge Wells and back which is a fairly undulating road and although I did use save mode briefly up a couple of steep hills on the way back (for a few hundred metres only) it was battery for 29.4 miles with 3 showing on reaching home.

But what will it do in the winter?

As regards mpg I am keeping a log of mileages and time spent charging. If the cost to charge estimator on the Mitsubishi web site is correct I have so far achieved the equivalent of 140 mpg.

Chris

Austen said:

Today I travelled to Tunbridge Wells and back which is a fairly undulating road and although I did use save mode briefly up a couple of steep hills on the way back (for a few hundred metres only) it was battery for 29.4 miles with 3 showing on reaching home.

As regards mpg I am keeping a log of mileages and time spent charging. If the cost to charge estimator on the Mitsubishi web site is correct I have so far achieved the equivalent of 140 mpg.

Chris

You will see.

My EV range on dash did jump from 35km to 46km from winter to summer ... and I lost 0.3Ah of capacity per the EvbatMon in the same time

Also you will have to handle the ICE that want to start to warm up the cabin in case you keep air ventilation and a requested temperature above 15deg ... if the difference on requested temperature and outside temperature is above 9deg

Winter time has multiple factors against EV :
- Colder temperature = more dense air .. higher resistance for the car especially at high speed (ICE car has same, but colder air = more efficiency in the ICE, so it compensate)
- Battery with temperature below +10deg .. have higher IR (internal resistance) and possibly also less capacity
- Run the electric heater (when it run, since for high delta temperature ICE will start), does consume around 4kw .. that has quite some impact on EV range ... for example AC in summer is less then 1kw

ChrisMiller said:
beltizar said:
As your regular journey is quite short, at least for the first few miles regeneration from the brakes will be restricted so as not to overcharge the battery (assuming you're topping up the battery before setting out). You should feel more difference on the way back when the battery has depleted a little.

49.5 mpg is very good - even allowing for 30 miles on the battery, that's still better than 40 mpg. Motorway cruising at around the speed limit gives me ~35 mpg.

Thank you for that - it makes perfect sense now. I used them on the way to work this morning (once battery depleted a little) Started off with a range of 27 miles. 8 mile journey with a range of 22 at the end of it so something in it. B0 down a long gentle hill B3-B5 for junctions and bends. Its more like piloting than driving - navigating corners and bends with the paddles.

beltizar said:
ChrisMiller said:
beltizar said:

Thank you for that - it makes perfect sense now. I used them on the way to work this morning (once battery depleted a little) Started off with a range of 27 miles. 8 mile journey with a range of 22 at the end of it so something in it. B0 down a long gentle hill B3-B5 for junctions and bends. Its more like piloting than driving - navigating corners and bends with the paddles.

There are lots of different thoughts about what B number to use and and when. B0 is basically the same as coasting in a normal manual transmission car, so I normally wouldn't be using B0 on downhill sections, I'd be using a high enough B number to control my speed (i.e. similar to using, say, 3rd gear in a normal car) but to also benefit from the regeneration. B0 might be OK on a gentle hill, but anything beyond that and you could find the car running away with you, like if you were going down a steeper hill in neutral.

I use B0 on motorways where possible, as its more efficient to maintain a constant speed than it is to slow down using the regenerative braking, but then have to accelerate again.

When you definitely have to slow down, for junctions or traffic lights, then I use the highest B number I can to reduce usage of the friction brakes and to maximise regeneration.

elm70 said:
Austen said:

Chris

You will see.

My EV range on dash did jump from 35km to 46km from winter to summer ... and I lost 0.3Ah of capacity per the EvbatMon in the same time

Also you will have to handle the ICE that want to start to warm up the cabin in case you keep air ventilation and a requested temperature above 15deg ... if the difference on requested temperature and outside temperature is above 9deg

Winter time has multiple factors against EV :
- Colder temperature = more dense air .. higher resistance for the car especially at high speed (ICE car has same, but colder air = more efficiency in the ICE, so it compensate)
- Battery with temperature below +10deg .. have higher IR (internal resistance) and possibly also less capacity
- Run the electric heater (when it run, since for high delta temperature ICE will start), does consume around 4kw .. that has quite some impact on EV range ... for example AC in summer is less then 1kw

I am sure you are correct but I have thought of some mitigating circumstances;

1) when I calculated the economic viability of owning this car I worked on an average range of 22 miles (35 Km) :)
2) We don't seem to be getting the pipe splitting winters (at least in Sussex) lately :) :)
3) In the winter I don't go out as much :) :) :)
4) If it's that bad I'll use my wife's car :) :) :) :)

Chris

Adding a few impressions from my side after a few days with the PHEV:

Picked up the car from the dealer and went straight into a 2 weeks holiday without charging possibilities.
So, no big experience on EV distance yet.

Long distance driving (max. 900 km a day) was fine and relaxing, no special points to mention.

Driving the PHEV on narrow, winding mountain roads was a pleasure. The torque of the motors at any speed is really a nice driving experience.

A "second's silence" when using full acceleration for overtaking is something not so nice, but I think I can get used to it.
I've opened a separate thread for this topic. (http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3399)

Having driven some km offroad today with passages in steep terrain, a dozen river fords, etc...
I absolutely like the behaviour of the electric motors. It's great to move slowly and carefully in steep terrain, reverse out of dead ends, etc... Some of these situations had been pretty bad for a car that could do extra low speeds only by using the clutch (when not having separate low gears).

And last but not least, the limited ground clearance is the most critical factor for me so far, when using the car offroad.

Best regards, Harald

Back