Maximum EV Range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsimao222

Hi Guys,
I'm a new owner of a 2017 Outlander PHEV ( Bought on 1st September).
Really nice car to drive around.
Yesterday I've made my maximum EV Range. 50,4kms.
I think its a really good range based on what I've seen in this forum and others.
The first 46 kms where easy to do, but in the last 4,4kms it was a real struggle (I really wanted to pass the 50kms barrier).

Those kms where made at a medium velocity of 70km/h in a relatively straight and flat road.
No air con and outside temperatures of 26º.

What is your maximum EV Range?

I managed just under 30 miles - about 46km - just once when the car was nearly new and under ideal conditions. These days at 3 years old, I reckon anything over 30km is pretty good.

In summer, without aircon ... with speed never above 80km/h ... also my 3+ year old with 130.000 km on the clock ... can make a bit over 45km of range ... but I never tried to get the best (for get the best it will be important to use the car immediately after the battery has been top up, even leaving on charge couple of hours after the battery has been top up, it will have a bit less juice in the battery)

As welll... in order to maximize EV range, yes, it is important to run the last km at very low power usage , else when EV range is zero / --- the ICE will kick in if power request is above some level (which is quite low) .. this allows to discharge the main battery down to 26% capacity .. vs 30% normal discharge level.

I have had my 2014 4hs model a couple of weeks and so still learning the best way to drive and maximise range. Today, achieved 27 miles before the ICE kicked in (43kms), which I am pretty pleased with! That included about 5 miles of 60mph driving, rest country roads and town, so was able to do a bit of regen. Outside temp approx 14 degrees (it is the north of England in September!). 45,000 miles on the clock.

Total trip was about 58 miles and achieved 72mpg, which I am finding is pretty average for the 60 mile trips I do frequently. The last 15 miles of these trips, returning home, I climb 900 feet in about 15 miles which just kills the mpg figures in the Outlander and our other car - Toyota Auris hybrid.

I was a little worried about battery capacity / efficiency on a 3 year old car. Looking at the charging history when I picked it up, it looked like it hadn't been charged for 2 months prior to me getting it, and quite intermittent before then - got the sense it was a lease car close to agreed mileage and so little use prior to being returned and sold.

On this trip, I used B0 quite a lot running into slower speed zones, rather than B2+; figured coasting might give slightly better range as opposed to maintaining speed longer then regenerating.

Really enjoying the car - just wish there were more non-Ecotricity fast chargers in my neck of the woods!

I drove 27 miles today with some regen and arrived home with guessometer reading 4 miles and small amount of blue on battery gauge (3h+ so no MMCS)

After one week with our Outlander, yesterday was my first day needing a tiny bit of petrol. Battery guess-o-meter looked certain to run out of charge 3 or 4 km from home, but after hitting zero it stayed electric with "---" remaining on the estimate until the last few hundred metres before the ICE finally started.

Unfortunately I didn't set a trip meter at the start of the day, but plotting all the routes on a map website this morning it added up to 50.5 km. That was with no hills, 50 to 80 km/h speed limits, in an almost new MY17 model.

Back