Anyone going for another one?!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSlackBladder

It's been a while since I was on here......spent a lot of time on here 3/4 years ago when I was switching from BMW company car to Outlander PHEV. After 3 years and 40k miles with the PHEV, I have to say I've been very happy with it.....no problems, ever, comfortable, quick enough, large load carrying, efficient, low BIK.......so much so that in six months I expect to be ordering my replacement Outlander PHEV. I did briefly look at new hybrid offerings from BMW, Mercedes and VW, but the SUV style from Mitsubishi still rules for me and my family. Anyone else on their second yet?

I have a quick question.....models and specs have changed significantly since first time round. I have a 4HS currently. It seems the new 4HS has a little higher spec with 360 camera. And of course there's the Juro and Koku now. Which spec is the closest to the original 4HS? I'm assuming the 4H or Juro (Leather) models after comparing on the website......

PS - it's good to still see some familiar names on this forum!

Nice to see you again DrSB!
I'm not allowed to replace mine until she's 6 years old - currently just over 3 years and around 29,000 miles....but if I was buying now I'd definitely be looking at a Golf or Passat GTE, possibly the BMW 330e or 530e, although that's probably outside my price range! I was hoping that by now there would be plug-in hybrids that could do 40 or 50 miles on electric, but it looks as if that's not going to happen. Tbh with my driving profile, it's not going to make much difference.
But I'm very happy with Phoebe, and, assuming that there's some sort of new Outlander PHEV out in 2020, it will be on my list.... Might look at the Tesla Model 3 as well, mind!

Likewise JDSX! :D

Yeah I looked at the BMW330E, Merc 350E and Passat GTE. But I'm so used to the higher driving position, the relatively large cabin, the large boot for the dog, etc., so I'll probably stick with the Outlander PHEV. And I'm set up already at home for the Outlander charging, so won't need to change my tethered cable. My heart was screaming for the BMW or Merc on performance (0-60mph in 6 secs :shock: ), but my head is saying the Outlander is still the practical sensible option. And my wife loves it, so best to keep her happy too :roll:

I'm sure, like you, that by the next time (almost 5 years from now) I need to choose, there'll be a whole load of different electric (and hydrogen?) options!

When I picked up my 4HS a few weeks ago, I was chatting with the dealer and he suggested that the Mitsubishi ASX is going to get a Plug-in option on the next model with suggested range of 200 miles.

How much of that is speculation vs reality, of course, is debatable. My rigorous 10 second Google search suggests nothing confirmed, but, if true, would be an interesting option for people coming on lease renewals?

Depends what is about in 1 year and 3 months time that can actually be purchased.

It doesn't look like there will be much more choice of low emission SUV's by then!

It still amazes me just how much of a jump on the rest of the industry Mitsubishi got with the PHEV. Its long been clear that SUV's were getting more popular year on year and due to their inherently poor consumption and emissions were a clear target for hybrid technology... yet still going forward there will be a lack of affordable models...

If available in time I would look at:
Citroen DS7 Crossback Hybrid.
Skoda Karok 1.5tsi petrol with DSG gearbox.
Honda CR-V hybrid if it gets made.
Peugeot 3008 petrol auto just makes the limit, cheap so keeps tax reasonable.
Maybe Vauxhall Grandland 1.2 petrol auto.

Or maybe I will say what the hell and consider
Alfa Romeo Stelvio 4wd 210bhp diesel 8sp auto (127g/km) (fast and sexy like I was once!)
Considered a Jaguar F-Pace but only the manual is below our company CO2 limit so pah!

Considering above.. my criteria being 1.SUV, 2. company car tax, 3. space, 4. decent performance/ride, It may well be a another Outlander PHEV is the only viable option!!

Like BobEngineer, I've got 15 months to decide. But I don't really need a large SUV (although I enjoy driving it), and BIK will cease to be a consideration for me, as I plan to retire.

So maybe a Kia Optima? Or maybe I can persuade Lex to let me buy my Outlander from them :).

Hi,

Very similar situation Dr. I have just taken delivery of a 5HS after 3 trouble free years with a GX4h which I have really enjoyed. The GX4h ticked all the boxes, it was a bit agricultural inside compared with the modern French and German offerings......in fact most other offerings...but as I say it did everything I wanted it to; family transport, dog compartment, 4WD, low BIK, excellent mpg and no issues. I looked around again in the summer and as others have said, MMC still seem to have this market sewn up. The new model certainly addresses the interior quality issues. However, after 3 days of ownership the sound system went very, very wrong and has today been picked up to be fixed....hopefully! My faithful GX4H gave me an average of 120mpg over the 3 years of ownership which far exceeded what I hoped for. Here's hoping the new one can do the same.

Interesting Tristar......can you give a little more detail on how the newer compares to the older regarding interior fit/finish/quality? I've read in several places that interior has been improved, but I can find little to no actual detail. Cheers :)

I had a good look just before the new car tax changes in April as mine was coming up on 3 years and 20k.
My thoughts -
1. As others have commented, still nothing out there demonstrably better in price/performamce (particularly if you like an SUV). The BMW and Volvo SUV hybrids are twice the price and simply not worth it. One neighbour has a Cayenne hybrid which would be well over twice the price of a new PHEV and gets 14 miles range on electric (in summer!!) as well as pumping out 76g CO2 so doesn't even qualify for congestion charge exemption.
2. Another neighbour has a Passat GTE which looks nice but is about the same price as a new PHEV but less roomy and similar performance.
3. I then looked at getting a new model (4H around £30k from brokers) which would be £12-15k cost to change.
4. On balance, decided that the small improvements were probably just not worth it for me. In addition,and this is a very personal view, but I think that the reskin has lost a little of the purity of the original design and I wasn't that keen on the chrome front end.
5. Also, I have it as a company car and the tax regime is getting worse so makes more sense for me to buy my existing car out of my company - obviously for the lowest justifiable price.
6. Finally, mine hasn't had a single thing go wrong, has only done 20k and I've been very encouraged by the comments online about likely longevity of the battery pack.
So decided to stay put and keep it. I'm lucky it is a second car for mainly school run and town driving which it will, hopefully, continue to do efficiently for another 3-5 years.

IMHO the improvements have been brought about by improving the quality of the materials in the cabin, particularly the doors, ceiling and I think part of the dashboard has been softened a bit. The new centre console helps reduce the hard black plastic look of the older model and, this might sound daft, but the doors are that bit heavier and exterior sound has been dampened very well. I have had plenty of opportunity to notice the sound proofing due to the stereo/Bluetooth/sat-nav outage......which has been fixed!

gobiman said:
So decided to stay put and keep it.
And, if it's a significant consideration for you (as I realise it is for many PHEV owners), by far the kindest thing you can do for the planet in choosing a new car is to keep your old one. Probably true even if you drive a Range Rover or similar gas guzzler.

Tristar500 said:
IMHO the improvements have been brought about by improving the quality of the materials in the cabin, particularly the doors, ceiling and I think part of the dashboard has been softened a bit. The new centre console helps reduce the hard black plastic look of the older model and, this might sound daft, but the doors are that bit heavier and exterior sound has been dampened very well. I have had plenty of opportunity to notice the sound proofing due to the stereo/Bluetooth/sat-nav outage......which has been fixed!

I would have to test the ride, I know they tinkered with it since the original model, but I would rather it filtered out thumps better than more soft plastics inside.

To me the suspension is tuned wrong, its fantastic at 90mph, it really smooths out but who want to lose their licence whilst doing 22mpg :eek:

With the busy traffic we have now I quite like cruising at 55-60 mph if the journey isn't too long, stay out the way of all the push and shove whilst managing 40mpg. but the suspension isn't at its best at this speed and can be quite jiggy on poor roads.

Hi Bob,

Yes the suspension has been re-worked as well. It's better at taking potholes and speed bumps at lower speeds than the old one. It feels more composed at 20-50mph and cruises well above that. The steering too has more feedback. Certainly worth testing out first though.

My local dealer asked me in to see if they could persuade me to buy another (mine is coming up to 3yrs at the end of this month). Took the new model for a spin but at the end of the day, for a £20k spend to get the same car, bar a few new bells and whistles (and a horrible blinged front end (IMHO)) it just doesn’t seem justifiable, so I said no.

One thing I did notice though, the off the mark acceleration is much better in the new models; more sprightly.

Although not in the market yet I have had a peruse of some of the current choices, what I most noticed is actually the value of the PHEV. Most other brands, everything either needs a shift to top spec or options to get things and the costs rack up fast.

HID headlights, leather and/or heated seats, reversing camera, privacy glass, electric boot, keyless, folding mirrors etc you get with Mitsubishi

My friend who persuaded me to ditch LR for the PHEV has just bought his 3rd :shock:

He changed the first for the facelift and that's just coming up for 2 years old with only 9.5k miles on clock but dealer offered him a cracking deal so he swapped

Going to look at it this week and I'm interested in EV button and electric handbrake but mine's only a year old so not in a rush to change for some time whatever the deal

Based on his px I would only lose £6k depreciation in 2 years on what I paid after discounts - I also got a tax rebate too for similar amount so not bad compared to the £24k I lost in same period on my last RR Sport :cool:

Anyone know when the next facelift is due? There are several front end variants shown in a Google search, guess some are somewhere between concept and production.....

I'm thinking about another one, I just wish the lease deals were the same as the one I got 3 years ago (3h on 6+35 @£250 pm).

I was going to get the Countryman PHEV, but my wife really wants a preheating option and loves the idea of a heated steering wheel, neither of which you can get with the Countryman. Looking at an upgraded model this time, probably a 4h.

I live in Scotland qualify for an interest free loan for an electric vehicle, but event with Carwow discount I would be paying over £420 pm for a 4h, and I have a lease offer from Gateway on a 6+47 term @£328 per month, so given the risk residuals might not be great in a few years this looks a great option.

I love the fact in the new version you have the pure EV button, and it will be nice to have the extra toys like integrated satnav and full app use in the 4h version (vs my current 3h).

I'm happy to look at a 4 year lease as we're only changing the current one as the lease expires in December and we cannot extend the lease.

Back