Geolandar G015 all terrain tyres / off-road tips

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailordoc

On previous threads last year I bemoaned the off-road performance of my PHEV when going around shooting estates, but found it was OK when I took it around the easy sections of an off-road centre near me. As another season starts I have had Geolandar G015 all-terrain tyres fitted as the only thing I could do to improve the car’s performance. Initial impressions on road are good - not found them any loader than the previous Toyo tyres, and performance in the wet seems fine. They have the “mountain and snowflake” certification for severe snow service which will be good for the winter weather, although there hasn’t been any snow over the last few years.

I’ll report back when I know how the car performs on the rough estate tracks on shooting days. I’ll have 4WD Lock engaged but am still a bit confused as to whether I should have ASC off whenever off-road or only if you get stuck. The manual implies only when moving off in mud or snow. Any thoughts?

Advice from a Facebook PHEV group seems to be leave ASC on until you get near mud, sand or deep snow, and then turn it off before entering those terrains.

That is correct. The idea is to prevent the ASC from braking slipping wheels in succession until you grind to a halt.

jaapv said:
That is correct. The idea is to prevent the ASC from braking slipping wheels in succession until you grind to a halt.

Yup - that’s what happened last year :D

Hi,
I’m choosing which Tyres to fit in my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for off-road performance upgrade. I found the Yokohama Geolandar G015, but i’m afraid they could be too noisy and/or rise the car’s fuel consumption. I know they provide the best grip off-road but what’s the cost-effectiveness?

asterix550 said:
Hi,
I’m choosing which Tyres to fit in my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for off-road performance upgrade. I found the Yokohama Geolandar G015, but i’m afraid they could be too noisy and/or rise the car’s fuel consumption. I know they provide the best grip off-road but what’s the cost-effectiveness?

I found no difference in road noise. Difficult to tell regarding fuel consumption as the Toyos were near the end of usable life (and thus would cause less drag) but I can’t say I’ve noticed much reduction in EV range.

Well, as promised a quick update on the performance of the PHEV off road on the Yokohama G015 AT tyres. I’ve had a few days on shooting estates so far, with today being very wet and muddy in the fields. So far, when engaging 4WD lock and turning of ASC in mud the car has behaved very well, going everywhere the Nissan Patrol and Land Rover Discovery Sport went without any problems. I have several more days booked, and will see how things go, but so far I am happy.

A final update. I’ve now had the PHEV out in snow and ice, wet muddy fields and rough muddy tracks. On the Geolandar G015 A/T tyres, with ASC off when in deep mud, it has been absolutely fine with good traction and going everywhere the other AWD vehicles went (But not the serious mud slingers on M/T tyres obviously!). I haven’t done any serious off-road, but have been pleased with its performance over the mild stuff I’ve put it through. I have however been very careful not to let it cross-axle or exceed the very limited ground clearance :lol:

Back