New tyre advice, from The Cardinal..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cardinal

Hi all.

I'm just about to buy two (or four if the price is right) new 225/55/R18 98H tyres. Whilst I know that TOYO R37's are normally fitted, I think some of you have had others fitted and wonderd what thoughts you had of other all-season tyres instead, obviously keeping the price down to around what you would pay for a R37 though.
It would be good if I could get them fitted by a supplier in Northamptonshire if possible as I understand that Mitsubishi in Northampton get theirs done at Northampton Tyres and don't do it themselves.

Regards to all
Cardinal..

The Toyo Proxes R37 is not an all-season tyre.
I still have the original Toyos on with about 5-8k to go to roughly 3mm all round when I will replace.
For what it is worth,I plan to get Vredestein Quatrac 5 to replace them having done some research. I've had Vred winter tyres in the past and been very impressed on numerous ski trips.
On pricing, they are very roughly £10-20 more expensive a corner than the Toyos but, in my view, worth it for the added capability for winter mornings/unexpected trips etc.

My Conti summer tyres are nearing the end of their life, I am fitting my Hankook winter tyres for the 4th season in November. My plan is to fit the new Michelin all-season tyres in spring, as they get enthusiastic reviews.

If you mean the CrossClimate then yes they are very good, albeit I only had them on my Forester for a year and we didn't have a harsh winter. But they impressed me in the wet and dry, appeared to be long lasting, and did well enough on mild off road use.

Steve

Don't know for sure. Michelin UK website implies it is in the tyre search page, but it's not in the full list of sizes. And I find some online places claiming to sell it, but at crazy prices (up to £200 each)

Steve

That's very interesting.
Crossclimate would have been my first choice but checked Michelin site and not listed in the right size - 225/55 R18.
However as Daff has pointed out, there are a few places claiming to sell them - albeit at £160-180.
Need to investigate further!

Update - it does come in the right size.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-suv

However quite expensive. I'm guessing that it has just been introduced in that size so price may drop a little over the next few months.
Costco do Michelin and have a £50-100 off offer for 4 a couple of times a year so will see if they are more competitive.

Further update. £174 inc fitting, balancing etc at Costco.
I'll wait for bit. Price may drop anyway and Costco have an offer twice a year (currently £100 off for 4 Goodyear).
That would take it under £150 a corner which, to me, seems about right.

Although many of you are going for all weather/conditions tyres, does anyone know of a purely road tyre that is significantly quieter than the factory fitted TOYO's? For such a quiet car mechanically I find the tyre noise really grates on me. I don't have any need for snow/ice/mud pluggers, I simply stay at home!

There is not much difference between the various brands regarding noise It varies between reasonable and acceptable. Based on the 2017 tests I would probably go for the Goodrich Efficientgrip.

Thanks, Jaap. I've looked up a few, and frankly the Toyo seems as good as any for road use. I've certainly been satisfied with both wear and performance. I'll probably opt for direct replacements when the time comes.

And I think I'm right in saying that decibels are an exponential scale so 1db might make more difference than you realise.

Lance said:
And I think I'm right in saying that decibels are an exponential scale so 1db might make more difference than you realise.
dB is actually logarithmic (10 times the logarithm to base 10), so 10dB is 10x the energy, 3dB is twice the energy, 1db is 25% more energy. Because the ear's response isn't linear, we 'hear' a 10db sound increase as being about 'twice as loud' and 1dB is barely perceptible.

Lance said:

1db is about as small a change as a human can reliably detect, often 3db is quoted as doubling, but that is a doubling of power not perceived volume. About a 10db increase is a doubling of heard volume.

Of course volume isn't everything, how annoying the sound is and at what frequencies, also how persistent, I would think a 28db tyres that rumbles on all surfaces could be more annoying than a 30db one that rumbles around town but goes quieter on smoother motorways for long journeys.

I'd have preferred the Michelin Cross Climate's but couldn't find them available in the right size a couple of weeks ago so have ordered Vredestein Quatrac 5 225/55 R18 98V which seem to get pretty good reviews as all season tyres with Mud and Snow ratings, and low rolling resistance.

About £120 each via 'Mytyres' inc delivery to local tyre fitter who charges around £10 per tyre for fitting.

Tyres, I believe, are Dutch (should I be worried?) but mine have been sent from Germany (don't think 'Mytyres are British!)

Hope they last better than the Toyos, mine haven't done 10,000 miles yet and I drive for economy and the fronts look pretty thin to me, haven't actually measured them though.

JimB

Regulo said:
Thanks, Jaap. I've looked up a few, and frankly the Toyo seems as good as any for road use. I've certainly been satisfied with both wear and performance. I'll probably opt for direct replacements when the time comes.
Personally I found the roadholding of Conti Crosscontact UHP far more stable. No more wobble when running a wheel through a gutter. Lasted me over 40.000 km too.

Back