Sat Nav & Apple CarPlay

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSlackBladder

Just took my 64 plate for its first MoT, passed with flying colours. While I was waiting I had a good look around the new models, as I expect to be ordering a new company car next summer. Speaking to the showroom guy, we got to talking about the Sat Nav.....he said the new ones had Apple CarPlay, which I knew, but then he said you HAD to connect a compatible Apple or Google phone in order to use Sat Nav. i.e. that the car, without a phone, didn't have a built in Sat Nav, as my current 64 plate does. I couldn't believe this was true, he checked with his manager, who said the same. Still not believing it, I asked him to show me, but he faffed around with excuses, not having keys available etc, and my car was ready so I left. Is this true, that in the newest models you HAVE to have a phone in the car if you want to use Sat Nav?!

As I understand it, in the UK only the Juro model supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This system does not have a built in SatNav but requires you to connect an iPhone or Android phone. In the case of an iPhone this means you have to use Apple’s own “Maps” Sat Nav. Personally, I find this SatNav works OK and from reports on this forum I suspect it is better than Mitsubishi’s MMCS equivalent.

Thanks Chris. Guess I'm just wary of change and a bit of a techno-phobe......personally I've had no issues with the MMCS/Satnav in my 64 plate, and I'm used to it now!

So does anyone know if the new 4H model has a built in MMCS Satnav that doesn't require a mobile phone?

My understanding is the same as the other Chris - the current 4H model has the MMCS satnav (but definitely worth checking with your dealer). I'm happy enough with the MMCS, but Google's satnav is superior in that it's up-to-date, and more 'aware' of current traffic problems. The only drawback is that it needs phone data, which is a potential cost (though at a few tens of MB/day, it's not likely to put much of a dent in a modern phone plan) and might not work too well if you're spending a long time in areas with a poor signal.

I believe the “Smartphone Link Display Audio” in the Juro provides pretty much all the functionality of the MMCS except for the integrated SatNav. To my eye it looks sleeker and more up to date than the MMCS being a touchscreen unit with no buttons. I suspect by next year it will have found its way into higher spec models, possibly with an integrated SatNav. However I may be completely wrong.

WAH64 said:
I believe the “Smartphone Link Display Audio” in the Juro provides pretty much all the functionality of the MMCS except for the integrated SatNav. To my eye it looks sleeker and more up to date than the MMCS being a touchscreen unit with no buttons. I suspect by next year it will have found its way into higher spec models, possibly with an integrated SatNav. However I may be completely wrong.

I think you may be right. I have just confirmed an order today for a 2018 Outlander PHEV 4h(3 year private lease). The Leasing Company just called me to ask if I wanted to go for the 2017my which is specced as per the Mitsubishi website and brochure but not available in the colour I want or do I want to go for the 2018my which has an updated head unit which now included Carplay and Android (he was a bit vague on wheather or not this was an improved system or not). Not sure if this still has built in navigation or not and can't find any information on the tinterweb. Other changes for 2018 include a heated front windscreen but the removal of the sunroof :shock:

I have gone for the 2018 as SWMBO wanted the heated widscreen and I get the colour I want. Apparently in stock in the UK so should be with me in a couple of weeks!! Once I have it I'll be able to say what head unit it has.

Actually, just looking at the Mitsubishi UK website, I wonder if the head unit will be similar to what is available on the Eclipse Cross

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/new-cars/eclipse-cross/technology/

I have had a juro since May2017. The satnav is hopeless. It fails about 1 in 4 times I try to use it.
If there is an Apple system upgrade, it hangs. No 4g phone coverage no satnav. You can't use any useful addons like where EV charging places are; this is a PHEV, and it can't tell you where to plug in.
Often, the map dissapears and you just get a cross hatch pattern. Worst of all, the hands free phone stops the satnav from working.
The dealer yesterday told me that they are rolling this so called upgrade to all models soon.
My advice is to avoid like the plague, the satnav is not fit for purpose.

I run a Sept 2017 Juro with Android Auto and it's brilliant.

Satnav is via google maps which provides live traffic updates (and seems to use very little data). I've only had a problem due to lack of 4g signal once (last weekend) when I was starting from somewhere with very poor signal - but once I had a signal it downloaded the route and everything was fine.

Lack of 4g would mean loss of live traffic info, but I traveled from deepest East Sussex to South Wales and had no problems, and it re-routed me away from the M25 due to major congestion issues. Great stuff!

I also get to play my Spotify playlists, and have no problems with inbound or outbound phone calls, none of which interferes with the satnav functionality.

The only problem I have is that I keep forgetting to unplug my phone and have to go back to the car to get it! (but that's an age thing... ;) )

Got 2018 4h as replacement for 2015 on lease. Very wary re new SDA as my current Blackberry Z10 needs to be changed too! Tried both android and apple and found Apple integrated better so have taken the plunge and gone Apple iPhone 8!
Watch this space for deleted expletives!
Overall new spec is much nicer. Lots of bings and bongs have gone which is good! 360 reversing camera is cool! Car seems to have more oomph at start off. Leccy handbrake took a while to realise it won't release if seatbelt not latched - farted about on my drive for hours!
Seat and ride maybe touch firmer?
Returning to the main thread - sat nav by phone - time will tell!

Starting to consider replacing my phev & poring over specs. 4h model seems best for me with SDA. Two users of the car, me on Android and wife on iPhone. Is there any problem switching between Android Auto & Apple CarPlay, according to who's driving / plugged in?

Back