Real consumption

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardoso

Hello everybody,
I'm possible future Mits. Phev owner. My question is; which is your real consumption?

City ?
Highway during eg. 300km distance at 120km/h?

Regards

Actual consumption varies hugely between users, because of different driving patterns. If you can charge the car, assume you can go for about 40 km on a full charge and thereafter use about 8 litres/100km and that should give you a better idea.

FWIW, over 20,000 km my actual petrol consumption has been 90 mpg (just over 3 litres/100km). If I make allowance for the cost of charging (a full charge is roughly the same price as a litre of petrol) that reduces to 60 mpg (4.7 l/100km), but I do a lot of short trips on pure EV with only occasional longer journeys. Your mileage may (will!) vary.

cardoso said:
City ?
Highway during eg. 300km distance at 120km/h?

City usage is normally zero ... there are ~40km of real EV range inside city .. so normally if the car is charged overnight, for city usage there is no need to use petrol

300km @ 120km/h ... I mainly tested ~140km/h on long motor way distance .. and my consumption has been around 9.5L/100km up to 10L/100km .. possibly at 120km/h it should be around 8/8.5L / 100km.

Without the possibility to charge the car, my "long" trip on country side road (villages + country street up to 100km/h) .. my average consumption has been 7.5L/100km .. with fully loaded car and 3 bikes on the rear hook

My experience mirrors elm70's:

Assuming batteries discharged:

1) at <90km/h I can do in the 7's (l/100km)
2) if I go to 120km/h it will rise to the 8's (l/100km)
3) at 140km/h it will go quickly to 9-10's (l/100km)

This is as reported by the onboard computer and for longer trips (on quick trips the value is very unreliable as it depends on when the ICE decides to start up).

On a full charge I can get slightly more than 40km in city driving (<50km/h), on the highway at around 100km/h yesterday I got around 32km on a full charge.

The aerodynamics seem to be quite poor (I'm guessing a combination between the large vents on the front, the high ground clearance and the overall vehicle size) and the quadratic wind coefficient dependence with speed rises quickly. I plan to do a few tests on covering the vents (easiest point) and check if it improves anything.

Hey All.

During holiday we did a 3000km trip, not charging a lot.
Car fully loaded, 2 adults. 2 kids.
Average 9 liters on 100km

Lifetime average of 44mpg - but it is used primarily as a petrol car.

Yoran said:
Hey All.

During holiday we did a 3000km trip, not charging a lot.
Car fully loaded, 2 adults. 2 kids.
Average 9 liters on 100km

Interesting ... my summer 2500km trip ... reported 8.2L at the end .. and I was also having 3 bicycle on the rear hook (almost all the time) .. so additional drag too.

But I have to say that possibly only 1/3 of the trip has been on motorway, and I was going slow most of the time up to 125km/h on the clock ... in order to switch between ICE and EV mode

So, I guess you had most of the trip on motorway at ~130km/h on the clock

Anyhow .. main point is that when there is no possibility to charge the PHEV, the fuel economy is not very good ... but I guess it is more the limit of a huge SUV, then not the limit of the hybrid technology implemented by Mitsubishi

elm70 said:

Anyhow .. main point is that when there is no possibility to charge the PHEV, the fuel economy is not very good ... but I guess it is more the limit of a huge SUV, then not the limit of the hybrid technology implemented by Mitsubishi

Exactly! You could get better out of a modern diesel for a similar body size and style, but you would be continuously wondering how long it would be before you were banned from driving into cities.

maby said:
elm70 said:

Exactly! You could get better out of a modern diesel for a similar body size and style, but you would be continuously wondering how long it would be before you were banned from driving into cities.

Also in diesel models if you do short runs you have problems with regenerations...in my ASX the oil in motor increases because diesel during regeneration if isnt burn goes to oil. Big problem of new diesel cars nowadays.

cardoso said:
Thank you all for sharing information about the consumption

I´m gona ask one last thing , RAV4 or Mit Phev ?

There's no simple answer to that question - it depends entirely on your pattern of use. If you are looking for a "soft-roader" and the majority of your trips are going to be less than about 50 miles, then the PHEV is probably your best choice. It will give you very decent running economy and a nice, quiet ride. As soon as your average trip goes much above the 50 mile mark, the PHEV will begin to lose its economy benefits and the decision starts to become one of which car you prefer for its specifications and capabilities. The PHEV is not a particularly good off-roader and my experience is that it is rather flimsy - a light nudge of a plastic refuse bin left us needing a complete new front wing!

Our pattern of use is not well suited to the PHEV - short journeys two days per week and a 300 mile round trip with no ability to recharge the other five days. We most certainly bought the car for its tax advantages - it is a company vehicle and we own the company. As employees, we benefited from the low BIK penalties and zero car tax. As the owners of the company, we benefited from the flexibility of write-off against corporation tax. Next year, we will benefit from the rather high depreciation when we will sell it to ourselves at a very low second hand value, thus getting quite a lot of money transferred out of the company at low tax penalty.

We get something like 44mpg out of it - not spectacularly great, but not too bad either for a reasonably large petrol SUV. The decision was made three years ago when the tax benefits were pretty much at their peak. They are now gradually being withdrawn - if we were going to choose a car now, I don't think it would be a PHEV - it would not make any economic sense for us. As they say, your mileage may vary!

My mpg is shown in my signature on fuelly and I'm in same position as Maby owning my own company and being an employee I win win on the PHEV

I was averaging 35 mpg during ownership of a diesel LR Discovery Sport before this and high 20s with previous Range Rover Sport

I've also bought a Lexus hybrid now for longer trips and weekends which is showing around 45 mpg on-board computer but need 2nd fill to check this figure

I wouldn't have a diesel vehicle now unless you paid me and I've had loads since about 1992!

cardoso said:
Thank you all for sharing information about the consumption

I´m gona ask one last thing , RAV4 or Mit Phev ?

I owned a RAV4 hybrid before the PHEV.

There were 2 reasons to change.

1) The load space in the RAV is not flat, I thought I could live with it but I couldn't.
2) My driving profile suits the PHEV. I make mostly short journeys and I was finding that the RAV never really made best use of the battery. When I did the occasional longer journey it would return around 45-48 mpg. My equivalent mpg (including petrol and electric cost) with the PHEV for the first 1000 miles has been 83mpg which includes one 250 mile and a 60 mile round trip.

So you have to look at how you would use a car.

Have you looked at the Kia Niro?

Just over 1 year's ownership, and just over 10,000 miles done... Averaged at 162.7mpg over the course of the year.

Back