Charging lead rainproof?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Eagerly awaiting delivery of my first Outlander PHEV. While I wait to have a charging point installed could someone advise if the supplied charging lead is rainproof, ie if plugged into an external (waterproof) socket, or should it be used undercover only?

Thank you

Hi Phil, all I can say is that mine looks like it is intended to be used outdoors.

The box, fittings and plugs all look like they're waterproof.

The car plug itself is IP44 rated (says so in small raised letters on the black plastic). This says what its designed for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

first "4" means:
physical particles larger than 1mm - Most wires, slender screws, large ants etc.

second "4" means:
Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect, utilizing either: a) an oscillating fixture, or b) A spray nozzle with no shield.
Test a) is conducted for 10 minutes. Test b) is conducted (without shield) for 5 minutes minimum.

So I would conclude "no", don't leave anything less than IPx5 out in the rain.... (But I have to admit I have left the plug on in the rain when I didn't notice it raining, so far I've been lucky - careful disconnecting it).

This is for the car plug itself, the box I have not checked.

The instructions don't seem to be very clear about this. It says that the plug must be plugged into a weatherproof socket if outside, and to my thinking that implies the box itself can be used in the rain. It certainly looks like it, and it would be pretty crazy for it not to be.

Remember not to let it dangle by the plug - use the rope.

Steve

IEC 60529 is the standard that covers "Degrees of protection provided by enclosures (IP Code)". Mains powered products outdoors e.g. lawnmowers (IEC 60335-2-77), are subjected to catagory 4 for water ingress, high pressure washers which could have the high pressure water sprayed on them even though the instructions tell you not to are tested to category 5 for water ingress.

The IPX5 test is water with a flow rate of 1 min/m2 for at least 3 min through a nozzle of 6.3 mm diameter at a distance of 2.5 to 3 m,.

So, IP44 is OK for use outdoors and simulates rain, albeit not torrential rain. Note, for this item because it is not ground supported the spray from the hoop is a virtually full 360 degrees I. E. The "rain" is also going upwards which does not normally happen.

Not to worry, the plug is splashproof and current is switched off at the control box as soon as you depress the lock on the plug.

Whilst I do not connect mine if it is raining heavily it does get left connected in the rain and I have had no problems with tripping or disconnection.

Thanks all, that's all good to hear. The alternative was to us a long extension lead an leave the charger in the boot, but I'd prefer not to do that. Hopefully it will only b for a couple of weeks until a charging pon is installed

Phil said:
Thanks all, that's all good to hear. The alternative was to us a long extension lead an leave the charger in the boot, but I'd prefer not to do that. Hopefully it will only b for a couple of weeks until a charging pon is installed
That would be, to a certain extend, counter productive. The piece of cable between the box and the wall plug is designed to be max. 30 com for safety reasons :geek:

Phil said:

The previous owner of my PHEV managed to destroy the charging box .. since he did left exposed to the elements (rain and snow) for X weeks

Anyhow .. if it is only for few weeks .. I would not bother .. but leave the charging box exposed to rain and snow for months does not look "safe" at least not safe for the box itself

In my case I have the PHEV exposed to the elements .. but my charging box is under a "roof" , free from snow and rain .. but not free from birds and spiders :mrgreen:

anko said:
The piece of cable between the box and the wall plug is designed to be max. 30 com for safety reasons :geek:

Well they don't want the box laying on the driveway where it will get run over exposing live parts. That kind of safety reason.

I don't think a suitably rated extension cable, properly used, would be electrically unsafe.

Steve

Ours was used outside for over 18 months permanently live being plugged into an external socket...didn't seem to come to any harm at all. At first it laid horizontally upon a stack of house bricks and then hung by its cord on a hook on the wall adjacent to the external socket. We never took it with us on a trip so it was there all the time. I only took it in when we were away for more than a couple of days as I didn't want it stolen although as the car is parked 60m from the road and out of sight from it that was unlikely.

We now have an Electric Nation provided charge point so the car's box and cable is stored under the boot floor and hasn't been used since as we never bother to charge when away from home.

Daff said:
Well they don't want the box laying on the driveway where it will get run over exposing live parts. That kind of safety reason.

I don't think a suitably rated extension cable, properly used, would be electrically unsafe.
The 30 cm limit set forth in the standards is not about protecting the box. The wires between the wall socket and the box are always hot and not protected by the GFCI in the box. The wires between the box and the car plug are only hot during actual charging and are protected by the GFCI. This is why they wanted to minimise the length of cable between the box and the wall socket. Often, wall sockets themselves are protected by GFCIs. So, indeed it is not a huge problem. But the standard does not take that into account, as there is no guarantee.

GFCI ? Sorry not familiar with this term.

Here in the UK I have a combination of RCDs + circuit breakers for house circuits (new in 2013) and a RCBO, for the additional separate circuit for the dedicated EV Charger circuit (2017).

I'm struggling to see the logic of that. Lots (all) other appliances have cables that are only protected at the consumer unit RCD. Even ones used outdoors. I suppose the brick is left unattended for long periods, but really?

If this was the concern then requiring a circuit breaker plug would be a better solution.

Steve

Daff said:
I'm struggling to see the logic of that. Lots (all) other appliances have cables that are only protected at the consumer unit RCD.
This may be the case in the UK. Or in the Netherlands (although ...) But the standard was not designed specifically for the UK or the Netherlands.

Daff said:
If this was the concern then requiring a circuit breaker plug would be a better solution.
How effective would that requirement be when people start using extension cords? Now you understand my point about the use of extension cords? Personally, I do use them without any worries. But if one is overly concerned with safety, extension cords are probably not the way to go.

The extension cable thing is clearly lawyer arse-covering in case people do silly things, such as using a 5A extension, or leaving the extension wound round the spool. I get that.

The stupidly short cable on the charger is still unexplained as far as I am concerned.

Steve

Daff said:
The stupidly short cable on the charger is still unexplained as far as I am concerned.
I have strong feeling you are not agreeing with the explanation given, but that is something else ;) Or do you really not believe that this is the reason for the short cable?

So I have a 10A charger. Both at home and work I use a 5m extension lead to connect with the charge box, and the power points are standard external type plugs which are undercover. I specifically bought heavy duty extension leads, and make sure they are fully extended without sharp curves. In both cases whilst charging, the plugs, cords and charge box barely get warm. So in my experience as long as you are sensible, using an extension lead shouldn't cause issues.

Back