Tyre recommendations

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisnsteffie

Hi all,

Looking at getting some new tyres.

Wife had a sidewall puncture away from home and didn't want to risk driving back with a leaky tyre - chose to not use the can of sealant in the boot. Tyre fitter she pulled into only had 1 tyre, so there was no choice. Anyway, an amount of money later (lone female, car garage, London, I'm sure she was charged accurately...) and she is back on the road.

Firstly, do we need a matching set on the car? I've had problems with cars in the past (Freelander) with mismatched tyres. Is this a problem on the PHEV? It is a rear tyre, if that makes a difference.

Secondly, I was looking at getting a whole new set anyway, as the tyres are nearly done anyway. We used to use Michelin Latitude Cross on our cars and really enjoyed them, they were good for the fields tow the caravan across, got good mileage, and lasted forever - in fact, 40k miles in, and they outlasted the car.

Turns out they don't get made in the correct size for the PHEV (225/55/R18, not as common a size as I had thought at first). So, I've been looking at alternatives. I'm having a bit of a hard time finding tyres that are as well rounded as the above. We are looking for tyres that have some off-road ability for towing across fields with the caravan (they can be very steep, and are usually wet), are quiet. They were marked M+S.

I've found the following which might work:
Conti WinterContact - they have a somewhat aggressive tread pattern for light off-road use. It is a winter tyre. We don't have storage for 2 sets of tyres. I've researched mixed views on whether it's better to run winter or summer tyres year-round in the UK - there doesn't seem to be a consensus that I could find. (there is also a slightly newer version of this available, the 860)

Conti CrossContact LX2 - they have a 20% off-road tread pattern. It is a summer tyre.

Conti CrossContact UHP - these are recommended a lot for softroaders. Honestly, we don't really drive above 60mph, so as long as the tyre is quiet up to that speed, any quietness above that will be wasted on us. The low rolling resistance is attractive to eke out as much EV range as is possible - although I don't suppose you can have traction AND low rolling resistance.

The EU label is about the same for the above tyres. We don't really mind too much about the price - we would rather buy one good set that will last, rather than several cheaper sets.

Also, runflats. None of the above are runflats in the PHEV size, although is this something worth looking into?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Winter tyres are no good in summer. Michelin CrossClimate are well regarded as an all season that actually work in moderate winter conditions They are supposedly just becoming available in the 18 inch PHEV size. On my last car, I found them good in all weather and light off road. However, others have discovered that they are still hard to obtain in this size. You might want to check the thread "winter tyres" which has a similar discussion.

Regarding matching, I am super reluctant to mix tyres on any car, especially a 4x4. Others do it without a second thought. I would get four the same.

Steve

chrisnsteffie said:
Hi all,

Wife had a sidewall puncture away from home and didn't want to risk driving back with a leaky tyre - chose to not use the can of sealant in the boot. Tyre fitter she pulled into only had 1 tyre, so there was no choice. Anyway, an amount of money later (lone female, car garage, London, I'm sure she was charged accurately...) and she is back on the road.

Firstly, do we need a matching set on the car? I've had problems with cars in the past (Freelander) with mismatched tyres. Is this a problem on the PHEV? It is a rear tyre, if that makes a difference.

Secondly, I was looking at getting a whole new set anyway, as the tyres are nearly done anyway. We used to use Michelin Latitude Cross on our cars and really enjoyed them, they were good for the fields tow the caravan across, got good mileage, and lasted forever - in fact, 40k miles in, and they outlasted the car.

Turns out they don't get made in the correct size for the PHEV (225/55/R18, not as common a size as I had thought at first). So, I've been looking at alternatives. I'm having a bit of a hard time finding tyres that are as well rounded as the above. We are looking for tyres that have some off-road ability for towing across fields with the caravan (they can be very steep, and are usually wet), are quiet. They were marked M+S.

Conti WinterContact - they have a somewhat aggressive tread pattern for light off-road use. It is a winter tyre. We don't have storage for 2 sets of tyres. I've researched mixed views on whether it's better to run winter or summer tyres year-round in the UK - there doesn't seem to be a consensus that I could find. (there is also a slightly newer version of this available, the 860)

Conti CrossContact LX2 - they have a 20% off-road tread pattern. It is a summer tyre.

Conti CrossContact UHP - these are recommended a lot for softroaders. Honestly, we don't really drive above 60mph, so as long as the tyre is quiet up to that speed, any quietness above that will be wasted on us. The low rolling resistance is attractive to eke out as much EV range as is possible - although I don't suppose you can have traction AND low rolling resistance.

The EU label is about the same for the above tyres. We don't really mind too much a bout the price - we would rather buy one good set that will last, rather than several cheaper sets.

Also, runflats. None of the above are runflats in the PHEV size, although is this something worth looking into?

Forget about runflats. The suspension must be designed to take them, Mitsubishi's isn't.

Don't run winter tyres in summer. Not only do they wear too fast, you will add many meters to your braking distance.

For your use I think you should look at Vredestein Quatrac or Goodyear Vector. Both are all-season tyres that are slanted towards snow/mud and mild off-road use.
The Michelin Cross-Climate is basically a summer tyre with extended use in wintery conditions.It has limited off-road capabilities, but is an excellent tyre for all-year road use in the southern UK.

Hi Chrisnsteffie

Autoexpress Magazine has just brought out a winter special edition (edition no 1498). It may be of interest to you because it has a comprehensive test of eight all-weather tyres but usefully also compares them with a leading dry weather tyre and wet weather tyre. Tyres are compared in dry, wet, snow, warm and cold conditions plus on noise, rolling resistance and price. For UK road use they recommend Michelin Cross Climate as the best compromise, closely followed by Goodyear 4 Season and Nokia’s Weatherproof. Unfortunately for you, Autoexpress did not include any off road performance. I am guessing that performance in snow may have some correlation with performance on wet, slippery grass but I may be wrong..

I echo your views on Michelin’s Lattitude Cross tyres. I have them on a Suzuki Vitara and they are excellent.

I will be getting a set of Michelin Crossclimates next year when the Toyos run down to around 3mm.
If you are a member of Costco (or join), they have a £50 off offer for 4 tyres at the moment (to 26 Nov) - warehouse offers (and do all the fitting) -

https://warehouses.costco.co.uk/offers/

I rang them a couple of weeks ago and they quoted me £172 each ( a bit pricey but seems consistent).

WAH64 said:
Hi Chrisnsteffie

Autoexpress Magazine has just brought out a winter special edition (edition no 1498). It may be of interest to you because it has a comprehensive test of eight all-weather tyres but usefully also compares them with a leading dry weather tyre and wet weather tyre.

I meant to say “.. a leading summer tyre and winter tyre” of course.

Thanks for the replies all!

Daff said:
Winter tyres are no good in summer. Michelin CrossClimate are well regarded as an all season that actually work in moderate winter conditions They are supposedly just becoming available in the 18 inch PHEV size. On my last car, I found them good in all weather and light off road. However, others have discovered that they are still hard to obtain in this size. You might want to check the thread "winter tyres" which has a similar discussion.

Regarding matching, I am super reluctant to mix tyres on any car, especially a 4x4. Others do it without a second thought. I would get four the same.

Steve
Ill steer away (oh dear...) from winter tyres in that case then. Doesn't really get too cold for long in the UK anyway I suppose. Ill add those tyres to my list. Thanks for the pointer towards that thread, I'll have a look. I'm conflicted about the matching - I'm weary to not match, had a freelancer which blew out the prop shaft and the rear diff - garage put it down to the wrong tyres being fitted!

jaapv said:
chrisnsteffie said:
Hi all,

The EU label is about the same for the above tyres. We don't really mind too much a bout the price - we would rather buy one good set that will last, rather than several cheaper sets.

Forget about runflats. The suspension must be designed to take them, Mitsubishi's isn't.

Don't run winter tyres in summer. Not only do they wear too fast, you will add many meters to your braking distance.

For your use I think you should look at Vredestein Quatrac or Goodyear Vector. Both are all-season tyres that are slanted towards snow/mud and mild off-road use.
The Michelin Cross-Climate is basically a summer tyre with extended use in wintery conditions.It has limited off-road capabilities, but is an excellent tyre for all-year road use in the southern UK.
I didn't know that about runflats - thanks for the info. Consensus seems to be to stay away from winter tyres in the warmer weather. Ill take those off of my list. Ill add your suggestions to my list - thanks!

WAH64 said:
Hi Chrisnsteffie

Autoexpress Magazine has just brought out a winter special edition (edition no 1498). It may be of interest to you because it has a comprehensive test of eight all-weather tyres but usefully also compares them with a leading dry weather tyre and wet weather tyre. Tyres are compared in dry, wet, snow, warm and cold conditions plus on noise, rolling resistance and price. For UK road use they recommend Michelin Cross Climate as the best compromise, closely followed by Goodyear 4 Season and Nokia’s Weatherproof. Unfortunately for you, Autoexpress did not include any off road performance. I am guessing that performance in snow may have some correlation with performance on wet, slippery grass but I may be wrong..

I echo your views on Michelin’s Lattitude Cross tyres. I have them on a Suzuki Vitara and they are excellent.

I would imagine that winter performance and mud performance might be similar? Ill grab a copy if it's at the shop/see if it's available on Kindle. Thanks for the idea.

gobiman said:
I will be getting a set of Michelin Crossclimates next year when the Toyos run down to around 3mm.
If you are a member of Costco (or join), they have a £50 off offer for 4 tyres at the moment (to 26 Nov) - warehouse offers (and do all the fitting) -

https://warehouses.costco.co.uk/offers/

I rang them a couple of weeks ago and they quoted me £172 each ( a bit pricey but seems consistent).

I'll check out the Crossclimates. I'll see if there is a Costco near me - I'm not sure where the nearest one is. Thanks for the idea!

Conti CrossContact UHP - I fitted a set of 4 of these this summer, to replace the Toyos which had done around 37k Miles. That in itself is decent mileage in my opinion, however, 4wd vehicles are better for even wear.

Really good tyre. Quite a bit quieter than the Toyos, and good grip levels in all weathers. Obviously it's more of a summer tyre, so don't know yet in Snow.

It's standard fit on a lot of Volvo, BMW, MB and Audi SUVS, so that speaks for itself. And to be fair, Continental don't really do a bad tyre - in fact most of the their tyres are top of the ratings for most applications.

I've done 7k miles now, and wear seems good (although too early to tell really). I would buy the same again, and I've always fitted Conti's to my previous cars.

I did toy around with the idea of cross-climates, but to be honest, the last 2 winters have been fairly mild, and temperature wise, i wouldn't have the benefit of the prolonged winter use, to off-set the slight loss of performance in the summer.

If money was no object, and I was keeping the car 5 years +, I'd have two sets of tyres, winters and summers. Although you have to store them, cost wise it works out OK, as you only use each set half the year.

So, been doing some research on the tyres. I think I've narrowed it down to the Conti LX2 or the Michelin CrossClimate. I'm leaning slightly towards the CrossClimates.

I can find the LX2s pretty easily, but can't find anywhere that has the CrossClimates in the correct size.

I saw the CostCo offer - although they don't mention (or I can't find) if they do the correct size.

Has anyone been able to find the CrossClimate anywhere in the UK that they could link me to?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi there guys. I'm also heading towards replacing for 4 new CrossClimates soon. However with a slight(?) twist in it, I'd go for 235/55 R18's. These are just a slightly bit thicker tyres - ok, they are wider a bit but what really counts for me is the 6mm increase in sidewall height. Stock is too sporty-low profile for a SUV anyway - both in the looks, but it also feels on the relatively hard ride feel.

Big question is tho, whether the PHEV drivetrain (TMPS, S-AWS, electric motors, differentials, etc) will be conformable to the 11mm larger dia wheels. Most discussions on here indicate the differences between axles are of key concern, but seems no one yet went the route of switching all four to any valid replacement tyre sizes. My choice fits well within the recommended replacement size limits of 2.5% max. deflexion from original size but PHEV could still have a word here... :geek:

Sadly no tyre shop offers some testing before purchase option - I'd pay up to a tyre's cost for that.
But if anyone have ever gone on a replacement size (anything different from stock 225/55 R18) pls let me know.

mrqz said:
Hi there guys. I'm also heading towards replacing for 4 new CrossClimates soon. However with a slight(?) twist in it, I'd go for 235/55 R18's. These are just a slightly bit thicker tyres - ok, they are wider a bit but what really counts for me is the 6mm increase in sidewall height. Stock is too sporty-low profile for a SUV anyway - both in the looks, but it also feels on the relatively hard ride feel.

Big question is tho, whether the PHEV drivetrain (TMPS, S-AWS, electric motors, differentials, etc) will be conformable to the 11mm larger dia wheels. Most discussions on here indicate the differences between axles are of key concern, but seems no one yet went the route of switching all four to any valid replacement tyre sizes. My choice fits well within the recommended replacement size limits of 2.5% max. deflexion from original size but PHEV could still have a word here... :geek:

Sadly no tyre shop offers some testing before purchase option - I'd pay up to a tyre's cost for that.
But if anyone have ever gone on a replacement size (anything different from stock 225/55 R18) pls let me know.

Don't do it.

You'll void any vehicle warranty and also your insurance (unless you declare).

Also likely to cause issues with TPMS and possibly also drivetrain. I've no idea whether the turning circle might be affected too - you might need to fit bumpstops on the inside (with tyre being wider it could catch). Finally, you also need to consider whether the alloy wheel will take it - 18 x 6.5J or 7J width?

Easiest but dearest way is to swap to 17" wheels, and go for the equivalent tyre to match stock - like some do when using a seperate winter package (higher profile tyres work better in snow), which means the overall rolling radius remains the same, but you get more sidewall and comfort.

Cheers.

Actually, if you use non-specified tyre sizes, your car can be pulled off the road by the police in certain countries (notably Germany)

StevieB said:
mrqz said:

Don't do it.

You'll void any vehicle warranty and also your insurance (unless you declare).

Also likely to cause issues with TPMS and possibly also drivetrain. I've no idea whether the turning circle might be affected too - you might need to fit bumpstops on the inside (with tyre being wider it could catch). Finally, you also need to consider whether the alloy wheel will take it - 18 x 6.5J or 7J width?

Easiest but dearest way is to swap to 17" wheels, and go for the equivalent tyre to match stock - like some do when using a seperate winter package (higher profile tyres work better in snow), which means the overall rolling radius remains the same, but you get more sidewall and comfort.

Cheers.

Hi,

Many valid points. But, I live in continental EU and my country has no such strict laws on tyre size - according to the best of my knowledge. In fact, we are free to use any tyre size *within* the official replacement tyre sizes chart (basically that contains all sizes staying within the range of 2.5% maximum deviance from original size.)

I guess my alloy is 18 x 7J. Again, 7" takes a theoretic max. of 225 tyre. However, this is not universally true - above the sidewall aspect ratio of 50, the following rule applies: rim width should be no less than 70% of the tyre tread width. With 235's, the 7" alloy stands at 76% - which theoretically should fit fine (and know from a lot of examples around the web, that it does even on low profile setups - eg. 235/40's on 7" mazda wheels)

I'd be very surprised if turning were affected by a 1cm tyre tread difference - it must come with such a tolerance built in.
That leaves me with the only remaining concern regarding the PHEV system operation. But your statements made me wary anyway so seems I must try to borrow some 235s and test them first.

jaapv said:
And your speedometer will be affected by the different rotational speed.

When the speedometer shows 100, the speed will be 101.5 kph.
In fact - the speedometer always tends to show more than the actual speed - this is so by factory design -, so the slight diameter difference will just work towards the more accurate clock readings.

mrqz said:
jaapv said:
And your speedometer will be affected by the different rotational speed.

When the speedometer shows 100, the speed will be 101.5 kph.
In fact - the speedometer always tends to show more than the actual speed - this is so by factory design -, so the slight diameter difference will just work towards the more accurate clock readings.

In the UK, the Speedometer is legally allowed to over-read, but not under-read - which obviously makes sense. This allows for tyre wear and incorrect pressures.

I just think for the cost and risk of doing so, I don't think you'll notice any major difference to the driving and potentially just give yourself headaches along the way. And then you might need to revert back to standard to sell easier.

Easier to go for 17" wheels and put some cross-climates on. Then you'll be better off in winter and also have the correct ratio, whilst having an increased profile. But costly unless you sell old wheels and tyres.

In the UK, you can fit any size tyre you want, so long as it doesn't foul the bodywork, doesn't protrude past the arches and provides adequate performance as a standard tyre would i.e. not cambered out like the current trend is, not stretched and also loading and speed rating is correct.

I gave Costco a phone today - never actually been there, but I'm equidistant between 2.

They do stock the Crossclimates in my size (£691.12 for the set), although they won't have any until mid-December.

Really weird I can't find this size anywhere else though - guessing stocks must be low all over.

StevieB said:
In the UK, the Speedometer is legally allowed to over-read, but not under-read - which obviously makes sense. This allows for tyre wear and incorrect pressures.

I just think for the cost and risk of doing so, I don't think you'll notice any major difference to the driving and potentially just give yourself headaches along the way. And then you might need to revert back to standard to sell easier.

Easier to go for 17" wheels and put some cross-climates on. Then you'll be better off in winter and also have the correct ratio, whilst having an increased profile. But costly unless you sell old wheels and tyres.

In the UK, you can fit any size tyre you want, so long as it doesn't foul the bodywork, doesn't protrude past the arches and provides adequate performance as a standard tyre would i.e. not cambered out like the current trend is, not stretched and also loading and speed rating is correct.

Hi, all my past and recent cars read 100 at about a real speed of 95 kph. Only this gap to increase upon tyre wear. So I'm not particularly concerned about narrowing the existing gap by 1.5kph.
Re-sale values aren't really affected by this on our markets - again - if staying within the recommended 'replacement tyre size', that is.
The 17" would hurt me in more ways: 1) I like the look of the 18's on this car. 2) I particularly like the looks of the 18" PHEV rim, and third, I don't want the expenses of 4x new alloys.

I'd like to stress this is really really a slight adjustment is tyre size - on an ordinary car no one (in here at least) would pay any attention to that detail - but the PHEV is another beast because its unique sensors and computer control procedures. At this point - i'm not completely decided yet - but if i will change, i won't do without testing it first. By the way, if you go below or above 18", you will then again use replacement tyre sizes - which will only approximate the stock sizes - there will always be some millimeters of differences.

On the Cross Climates, I suspect that Michelin have been caught out by the demand hence the shortage.
Costco are a major Michelin customer (used to be their only tyre brand) so probably best placed to get stock.
I'm a big fan of Costco - cheapest and best bog roll going.

gobiman said:
On the Cross Climates, I suspect that Michelin have been caught out by the demand hence the shortage.
Costco are a major Michelin customer (used to be their only tyre brand) so probably best placed to get stock.
I'm a big fan of Costco - cheapest and best bog roll going.

That would make sense. I'll hold off until mid-December when they hopefully have some back in stock!

I'm going to pay them a visit soon, I've yet to go to one. We have a Bookers Cash and Carry - got 12 packs of 36 rolls for £1.92! Guy on the till scanned the barcode for one of the inner packs, rather than the outer wrapper - I wasn't going to correct him!

Back