electrical system issues

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalldr0

I am a new owner of a Mitsubishi outlander PHEV having previously owned Toyota's. I am quite disappointed with the performance of the electrical and entertainment systems on the car, and was going to write this off as simply a bad experience, but then I see that the PHEV has just won 'best large SUV' in the 2017 what car survey, and consequently started to wonder if I simply had what used to be called a 'Friday' model.

Nothing seems to work correctly on it.
Staring with the FM radio, it tunes to stations but then the button forgets the name and reverts to the frequency display only.
The charging information doesn't update correctly. I charge it every night but not every charge is recorded even though the battery is fully charged and the car drives on EV.
While driving long distances the electrical system reboots with a loud thump through the speakers as if something has pressed 'control alt delete' and the centre screen blanks and then comes back with the Mitsubishi logo even though the engine continues to run and the car is being driven.
I've given up completely with the WiFi and the charging times as these seem completely random in their outcome.

it doesn't seem to regenerate any power, having previously owned a Prius, I'm used to driving a hybrid. The PHEV runs great as an electric car and then switches to be a petrol car, but doesn't seem to re-gen power unless I switch the mode to 'charge'.

Fuel economy is pretty abysmal too, with only about 35mpg at best once the EV battery is flat.

Maybe all of this behaviour is usual, and I'm just expecting too much
Darren

The MMCS is somewhat clunky and not as user friendly as other systems, but I’ve never had any of the problems that you describe, such as rebooting mid journey.

Likewise, the WiFi and remote app works fine for me and I use it all the time in the winter to set the timers for pre-heating.

So yes, I’d say that your car might be a bit of a lemon unfortunately, I’m not aware of reading anything else on here about MMCS re-setting or not working (albeit there are plenty of comments on it being outdated, not very intuitive, behind other cars, etc.)

The fuel economy of 35mpg is bang on what I’d expect though, and is in line with the general consensus on here. When the battery runs out, you are driving a large, heavy, SUV which is not very aerodynamic and 35mpg is a realistic expectation. Drive it hard and you’ll get even less than that. That’s one of the main reasons why the PHEV is only suited to drivers doing relatively lower mileages and can do a large proportion of their journeys on EV. Do a lot of motorway miles and the diesel makes much more sense than the PHEV.

My GX4h has a digital radio and that sometimes cuts out, pops, and reverts to FM. Sometimes the electrics can be slightly 'random' - but no more than your average laptop. I'd suggest getting a Mitsubishi main dealer to plug your PHEV in to their diagnostics which should highlight any problems. You don't say how old it is, how many miles. Does it have a full and complete Mitsubishi service history?

It should regenerate a bit of power in the 3-4-5 regane positions on the paddles. But to be honest it's not very significant when it comes to range extending. It will regane in the 1 or 2 positions too, but this may not be very noticable. You can see the needle go into the 'charge' zone on the 'power meter'. This may not be to the same level of efficiency as a Prius though - don't know as I have no experience of the Prius.

I'd agree with geoffshep69 about fuel consumption though - it's a big, heavy car with a 2-litre petrol engine. Let's be honest though, the way most people drive SUV's they probably don't get much more than 35 mpg from their diesels. My Smart 451 fortwo 1.0 litre petrol only does 45mpg!

April 2017 model - mine - never been to dealer other than service this april.

Hi Darren

Sounds like you have a faulty MMCS. This should be a warranty claim.

The comment about regeneration is interesting. To my mind a regular hybrid like the Prius *has* to fill it's battery by regeneration and on-board generated power, as this is the only way for it to get power into the battery. The Outlander is designed to get electric energy primarily by plugging in. Hence its default strategy is to use up the battery until it reaches a minimum SOC, which it then maintains to have some battery power on hand for acceleration and hills. It does gain power by regeneration braking, but it will use it up again pretty much straight away. If you want to maintain or gain SOC while driving you have to select Save or Charge.

Regarding fuel economy, if you did your research before buying you probably knew it already. I did a 350 mile round trip at the weekend. Started with a full battery, didn't get a chance to plug in. Averaged 37.5 mpg. This is competitive with a similar sized AWD diesel SUV (bearing in mind that they rarely meet the quoted mpg). I was mostly on motorways and fast A roads, and always up at the speed limit or keeping up with the traffic.

Steve

The standard Prius hybrid has a 1.3kWh battery (even the plug-in only has a 4.4kWh). So going down a long hill (there's a mile of 15% near me) would be enough to take it from empty to full. Going down the same hill in my Outlander adds just over a mile to the range (occasionally it appears as 2 extra miles on the guessometer), so I suspect they're roughly equally effective at capturing the regenerative energy.

Darren visit the dealer. I have never once experienced any of the issues you are describing.

Electrical system issues can manifest in various ways and can affect different components of a system. Here are some common electrical system issues:

1. Power Outages:
    • Causes: Power outages can result from external factors such as severe weather, utility company failures, or accidents. Internal factors like faulty wiring, tripped circuit breakers, or blown fuses can also cause outages.
    • Symptoms: Complete loss of power or partial power loss in specific areas.
  2. Voltage Fluctuations:
    • Causes: Fluctuations in voltage may result from variations in the power supply, poor wiring, or issues with electrical appliances.
    • Symptoms: Flickering lights, damaged electronic devices, or inconsistent performance of electrical equipment.
  3. Electrical Surges:
    • Causes: Surges can occur due to lightning, faulty appliances, or sudden changes in the electrical grid.
    • Symptoms: Immediate damage to sensitive electronic equipment, frequent device failures, or burnt-out components.
  4. Short Circuits:
    • Causes: Short circuits happen when a current bypasses its intended path and takes a shortcut, often due to damaged wiring or faulty appliances.
    • Symptoms: Tripped circuit breakers, burnt outlets, or the smell of burnt insulation.
  5. Overloads:
    • Causes: Overloads occur when the demand for electricity exceeds the capacity of the electrical system, leading to overheating and potential damage.
    • Symptoms: Tripped circuit breakers, flickering lights, or the smell of burning.
  6. Grounding Issues:
    • Causes: Poor grounding can result from inadequate connections to the ground or damaged grounding conductors.
    • Symptoms: Electric shocks, malfunctioning appliances, or inconsistent performance of electronic devices.
  7. Faulty Wiring:
    • Causes: Aging, wear and tear, or poor installation can lead to faulty wiring.
    • Symptoms: Flickering lights, overheating outlets, or burning smells.
  8. Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI):
    • Causes: EMI and RFI can be caused by nearby electronic devices, power lines, or radio transmissions.
    • Symptoms: Poor signal quality in audio or video equipment, disrupted communication systems.
  9. Corrosion and Oxidation:
    • Causes: Corrosion and oxidation can occur over time, affecting electrical connections and components.
    • Symptoms: Poor conductivity, intermittent electrical connections, or increased resistance.
  10. Insulation Issues:
    • Causes: Deterioration of insulation materials or physical damage to insulation can lead to electrical problems.
    • Symptoms: Increased risk of short circuits, electrical leakage, or reduced system efficiency.
Addressing electrical system issues often requires the expertise of a qualified electrician. Regular inspections, maintenance, and adherence to safety standards can help prevent and mitigate these issues.

First, make sure your 12V battery is not dying.

If it's fine, you should check your car for rodent damange and the electrical wiring + fuses.

If all of that looks fine, my next bet would be faulty multimedia.

Back