Best EV Estimate and what was you doing to get it ..?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vijay

The EV estimate following a full charge is based on the previous driving style and active functions being used as well as ambient temperature etc.

Best reading we have had to date was 37 miles on 24th Oct. I would post a picture as proof - I was that impressed that I took one!

The previous day, we had travelled to Nottingham and back on cruize control, no air-con / heating options, Economy Mode and B5 regen active, fully laden with four adults and a boot load of stuff. The weather was warm and dry.

Anyone seen better? What was you doing at the time?

I only got my new PHEV in September, but my best guesstimate displayed to date after a full charge was 36 miles.

I hadn't had my new baby long, it was quite warm weather and I had been spending the last few days practicing eking out the maximum range on my daily commute. Now its turned colder I expect it will be a long wait before I see those kind of heady numbers numbers again..

Are you looking for the highest estimate, or the most accurate? I don't think I've ever seen ours estimate more than about 33 miles, but the highest actual EV range that I've ever achieved was a carefully measured 29.5 miles. That was achieved in late summer when the car was just a couple of months old, driving at a steady 30mph on flat, uncongested roads with the aircon off.

These days (three years old with 37,000 miles on the clock), it generally estimates about 25 miles and I generally achieve a little less than that. I don't think we have lost much range in those three years - it has never been easy to get 25 miles out of it with my natural driving style.

The highest estimate ever I saw on MMCS was (IIRC) 669 km. What I have been doing to get that estimate? I have been playing around with a very bad OBDII adapter that caused massive collisions on the CANBUS :mrgreen:

If you exclude electronic tricks ( Sorry Anko ;) ) the best I have seen was 98 km, coming down a mountain pass in B5/Charge. Mind you, the actual range turned out to be 19 km driving up the next one...

My best was the morning after a charge after an outing on the day prior.

My return home that day was a very long downhill running in series hybrid mode.

The next morning after a charge, the guessometer was showing something like 80km.

About two minutes into the drive to work, it came back to its senses.

:lol:

Best I've seen was 36 miles but never achieve that, have managed close to real 30 once or twice.

I've noticed that if I manage to avoid using petrol over a period the prediction, after charging, tends to keep falling but bottoms out around 19 miles in cold weather.

But if I zero the drive battery on a trip and use petrol for around 4 /5 miles minimum then after the next charge the estimated range shoots back up to 30 miles or more.

I've assumed that if I use all of the drive battery's capacity which is available to the driver then on a common return journey which ends with about 3 miles of descent, which usually produces around 2 miles recovered range often produces no indicated recovered range. This leads to believe that the car has used some of its own reserve and obviously recovers that first before giving any back to the driver.

In those circumstances I have deduced, perhaps incorrectly, that the drive system recalibrates itself, hence the higher range figure after the next charge.

All very unscientific, just based on observation and an over active imagination.

One things sure, when you get a predicted range of, say, 35 miles, those magical extra miles disappear faster than a motor manufacturer's promises.

Jim B

I get the magic 52km range of EV ... every time I disconnect the 12V battery, and then I fully charge the car.

Also I notice that EV range after have had a trip using petrol, is more "generous" then EV range after trips in pure EV mode.

The best I have seen without tricking the system and only in summer time is 46km range, that is more or less then max I could get with my PHEV

In winter I have pre-heating of the car .. so now, I'm getting just 35km EV range in these days ... which more or less are correct for my usage.

36 miles is my best EV estimate. which usually drops to about 8 or 9 after the 14 mile drive home after (occasional) work, as there's a gradual climb of about 400 feet.. My best EV range has been 30 so far - on a few of those nice warm summer days. If I'm working on a day like that, I can get to and from work without charging or using petrol, but as soon as temperatures drop, I walk in to work from the ASDA charge point.

Just revisiting this thread to report that I got my first ever real 32 miles range performances over an average of level ground last summer - when the temperatures in England were up towards 30 degrees and there was no wind. It seems a far cry from that now in January - lucky to get 25 miles, and the battery is only accepting around 8.3 Kwh on a full charge.

Furthest actual range was 33 miles on my 2019 4HS.

Best reported EV range was 42 miles, probably the morning after I did the above! (Early October 2018, UK, still mild, no heat and no A/C).

stripey said:
STS134 said:
Driving down a mountain in a traffic jam. Lots of regen, very little use of motors.
Very good! Did you charge up at the top?

No, this was actually after I got home and charged up to full. The computer keeps track of the average mi/kWh and uses that value to extrapolate into an estimated range. I remember seeing values over 5 mi/kWh on the meter after getting home and I charged the battery all the way just to see what estimated range I would get.

STS134 said:
No, this was actually after I got home and charged up to full. The computer keeps track of the average mi/kWh and uses that value to extrapolate into an estimated range. I remember seeing values over 5 mi/kWh on the meter after getting home and I charged the battery all the way just to see what estimated range I would get.
Even slight slopes make a considerable difference. I always charge up to full unless there are exceptional circumstances. From a home or near-home charge to the next town, which is 14 miles away, I usually will only use about 40% of the charge in the battery, but even then I won't get back home on the remainder unless the weather is very warm. If I do charge it in that town, I'll sometimes do a few extra miles to get the battery down to 50%. If I don't, then after I've charged, the Ev estimate will be in the 30s - sometimes up to 36. My home is at 700 feet ASL, and the next town's altitude is about 180. So the average gradient is almost negligible, at 520/73920, or 0.007, but it makes a heck of a difference.

If I've charged up at home overnight and drive to church, a drop of 70 feet in I mile, then the average miles per Kwh is around 9.

I have a MY19 and got it in November. The highest EV range I’ve seen has been 26miles and lowest only 14miles, after overnight charging.
Maybe the newer models calculate range using a different algorithm? The predicted range does seem to be fairly accurate, though.
I’m hoping for more in the Summer. After all, it has a slightly bigger battery.

Back