Fuel consumption on petrol

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benc45

Just bought a 4h.
When not using any battery power, what is a typical figure for petrol consumption up to about 60mph.
What is the best mode to use, battery save or drive with emptry battery?

I’d work on around 35mpg at 60mph when battery has depleted and vehicle is running as a ‘normal’ hybrid.

Second question of yours has been done a lot on these forums but consensus seems to be to let the car do its own thing rather than fiddle with save and charge unless you have specific requirements (e.g. towing with a hill at the end of the journey, entering a zero emission zone etc)

If you are out of battery then the heater will use the ICE to maintain cabin temp. On a cold day like today you will find the engine runs continuously even when stationary, so consumption can be down to around 20 mpg in urban traffic.

EchoVictor said:
I’d work on around 35mpg at 60mph when battery has depleted and vehicle is running as a ‘normal’ hybrid.

Hi,

As a "continental", I always have to put in google "35mpg to l/100" and then some sites pop up. Something I've noticed "not so early" is that there are US and imperial gallons, and since the US only started having PHEV this year, I'm guessing most of the people here are using Imperial mpg. Thus 35mpg works out to ~8l/100km which at ~100kph I'd say sounds about right.

Before I figured this I was always a bit surprised with the quoted values which always seemed impossibly good (I thought perhaps I was a bit foot heavy)... beware :)

By the way:
* us gallon ~3.7l
* imperial gallon ~4.5l

As a mental rule, I get about:
* 7l/100km @ 60kph
* 8l/100km @ 100kph
* high 8 - 9l/100km @ 120kph
* 10l/100km when I go a "bit above" :)

These figures are as quoted by the car which I sometimes have trouble believing myself, but I do not have a single speed measure more reliable than this as between fillups I usually do different types of trips...

Best,
Ricardo

benc45 said:
Just bought a 4h.
When not using any battery power, what is a typical figure for petrol consumption up to about 60mph.
What is the best mode to use, battery save or drive with emptry battery?

Have you thought about useing LPG ?

EchoVictor said:

Second question of yours has been done a lot on these forums but consensus seems to be to let the car do its own thing rather than fiddle with save and charge unless you have specific requirements (e.g. towing with a hill at the end of the journey, entering a zero emission zone etc)
Or, a leisurely part at the end of the motorway. The trick is to drive as much as possible on electricity below 80 km/h and switch to petrol above 100 km/h. In between is a bit of a grey zone.

Back