Baffling mileage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlander660

Running on EV the other day, available EV mileage went to zero, car ran for another 8 miles without ICE cutting in and overall available mileage increased from 284 to 288 before stopping car at home, this was without charging in operation but full use of regen braking, anyone had the same experience?

March 2017 4HS in ruby black.

Not had the particular phenomena you describe, but today - just as weird - did a run of about 30 miles on 'normal' for a while and then 'save' (with heater on all the time) for a bit, towing a trailer with 500kg of logs in it so wouldn't have got far on EV alone (especially with the heater on).

Eventually towards the end of the trip the battery bar was almost at the bottom and had around 3 miles range left. Then when I switched on again a couple of hours later the battery bar has gone back up and indicated it has a range of 12 miles. I switched on and off a few times to check and it still indicated 12 miles. Based on previous experience (especially towing half a tonne) It's far more likely to be showing 3 miles than 12 after a trip of this type, using only 'normal' and 'save' modes. I had regain on 4 but even with half a tonne of trailer it doesn't put a significant amount of charge back into the batteries. I haven't put it on charge so next time I use it I'll make a note of what happens.

On my second PHEV so now driving a 2017 model. Fine at the start and indicated fully charged battery showed 28 miles - over the last two months this has dropped to 14-16 even taking into account the winter temperature this is nothing like I used to get with my 2015 model. Having asked a friend with a 2017 model as well, his was ‘software’ reset by service department all well for 2 weeks back to 28... now the same as mine. Mitsu, what is going on, you state 32 so 28 is fine by me but 50% reduction really isnt what the advert is telling me.

Zsaraman said:
On my second PHEV so now driving a 2017 model. Fine at the start and indicated fully charged battery showed 28 miles - over the last two months this has dropped to 14-16 even taking into account the winter temperature this is nothing like I used to get with my 2015 model. Having asked a friend with a 2017 model as well, his was ‘software’ reset by service department all well for 2 weeks back to 28... now the same as mine. Mitsu, what is going on, you state 32 so 28 is fine by me but 50% reduction really isnt what the advert is telling me.

Are you talking about the number displayed on the guessometer, or the range actually achieved? Our late 2014 PHEV has never had a winter range much better than 16 miles since the day I picked it up new from the dealer. The summer range has always been more like 24 miles than 32.

I usually get 22 - 25 miles on the guessometer apart from one occasion a few weeks ago, the day before I had been on the motorway and was using the adaptive cruise control, at one point the car in front slammed his brakes on and the regen braking came in very heavily, much more than I've seen before. The recharge on returning home went up to 31 miles?

March 2017 4HS in Ruby Black

outlander660 said:
I usually get 22 - 25 miles on the guessometer apart from one occasion a few weeks ago, the day before I had been on the motorway and was using the adaptive cruise control, at one point the car in front slammed his brakes on and the regen braking came in very heavily, much more than I've seen before. The recharge on returning home went up to 31 miles?

March 2017 4HS in Ruby Black

Interesting ...

Maybe the BMU / PHEV Firmware does check the IR on high current regen .. and it decided you battery is more healthy then previous firmware guess

About 8 miles in EV with 0 range ... this is quite a record ... did you get any downhill ?

I have done 3 or 4 KM max without any EV range .. this is normal .. EV range is 0 when the car guess that battery is at 30% .. but it is allowed to drive till 26% SOC, only if the power request from battery is very low ... so driving very soft up to 40km/h .. allow to go down to 26% battery ... but make 8 miles with 4% battery (~0.5kwh) it possibly a "record" ... which can be explained by some downhill or by some mayor error in the firmware battery guessing ...

Have now decided that Doctor Who has had a hand in the design of my 2017 4HS. Two days ago after a five hour charge the available EV mileage showed 42 miles, it usually only goes to 26 miles. Then I noticed that my drive which used to be 10 yards long is now 2 miles long, also the golf club used to be 8 miles away, it is now 22 miles away, according to the guessometer that is. Wonder if the car's spatial awareness settings need to be looked at, must look for a TARDIS manual to see if that helps. Anyone else seen this phenomenon?

Never noticed if I have the same problem as I never bother checking what the car thinks in the way of 'range'. That would be the same as asking the wife to read a map or program the gps! :shock: Besides, with such a short EV range does it really matter? Unless of course you're out of petrol and need to know if you can reach your nearest petrol station after a full charge. ;)

outlander660 said:
Have now decided that Doctor Who has had a hand in the design of my 2017 4HS. Two days ago after a five hour charge the available EV mileage showed 42 miles, it usually only goes to 26 miles. Then I noticed that my drive which used to be 10 yards long is now 2 miles long, also the golf club used to be 8 miles away, it is now 22 miles away, according to the guessometer that is. Wonder if the car's spatial awareness settings need to be looked at, must look for a TARDIS manual to see if that helps. Anyone else seen this phenomenon?

It is 100% normal

If EV range is shown unusually high ... it is because this is computed based on available battery capacity divided by previous/last trip energy efficiency

So .. if your last trip is consider very battery efficient (sometime if the previous trip was having the ICE involved, the PHEV "computer" get a bit confused on calculate the energy efficiency of the last trip), you will get a very high EV range shown on the dash ... but unless you can drive very very efficiently , the EV range will go down very fast while driving

Back