Regen problem?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypermiler

Hi all
Before I call the garage, has anyone had this issue please?

Even with low soc (battery level), regen needle never travels further into the regen zone past the “A” in charge, whatever regen level and regardless of pressing the brake. I’m sure in b3 say I would regen when lifting off the gas and then pressing brake pedal would increase it further.

Also the different regen levels don’t seem to be as distinct or strong as before. B5 is not that strong and when descending a steep hill, particularly with a trailer, this could give me some issues.

I’m a bit worried they either won’t find anything wrong ir it will be hideously expensive to fix...

Ta in advance
H

Really? oh dear. The needle only goes to the left of the A. If that is the case presumably nothing can really be done. I suppose I should call the garage. I’ve only done about 43k miles (<70k km)
Thanks Anko

anko said:
I have the exact same thing. I strongly believe it is caused by battery degradation.

Could be increased cell resistance, maybe just one or a few cells? In which case it may possibly be a warranty issue?

Can someone please remind me of battery warranty on 2014 uk car? I know initial general warranty was 3 years. I did ask re state of battery at my summer service before warranty ran out but they said it had had a basic check which doesn’t give full details just alerts if there’s a problem...
I would say this has happened since last summer, possibly even since I took it in for the spark plug recall. Perhaps not a sudden change but not that gradual either if that makes sense.
Cheers
H

Hypermiler said:
Can someone please remind me of battery warranty on 2014 uk car? I know initial general warranty was 3 years. I did ask re state of battery at my summer service before warranty ran out but they said it had had a basic check which doesn’t give full details just alerts if there’s a problem...
I would say this has happened since last summer, possibly even since I took it in for the spark plug recall. Perhaps not a sudden change but not that gradual either if that makes sense.
Cheers
H

I seem to recall a figure of five years, but that appeared to be against compete failure of the battery rather than gradual degradation. If the car is running, I don't think the warranty comes into play for a 2014 model. They changed the terms a year or two ago and I believe that they do now guarantee a maximum loss of capacity.

Our 2014 model does not seem to be losing regen braking - needle will go almost round to the end-stop in the blue zone - but it has been through very few recharge cycles over its lifetime, so perhaps the battery is ageing more slowly than others of a similar vintage?

At 77,000 miles its only a feeling, but I think mine has degraded, my range is rubbish at the moment and fuel consumption is up but its hard to tell with so much cold weather as I like it fully warm so the power is going to that a lot. It will be interesting in the summer what it still does.

It would be really useful if the MMCS had a counter of how many miles you got from your battery since last charging.

I suppose you could try and work it out by resetting a trip meter for distance and dividing it up based on the EV mode counter.
Of course if you used save or charge mode it would not be accurate.

It would be useful to know how many real battery miles you get as the 'guessometer' is no help for this.

Yes my ev range isn’t great at the moment either. I probably just got to 20 miles yesterday but it was milder at 8-10 deg. I don’t tend to run the battery down to empty without using save or charge to manage it. I don’t use heating on in range trips, just a bit of seat heating and fan to clear screen occasionally.

I was looking closely at it yesterday - when I use the brake the regen needle doesn’t go any further round. I do use the paddles a lot but as I said b5 is not very strong at all any more. Am going to call the garage and will let you know what they say.

My car is mainly used on ev so certainly will be more aged than yours maby
Thanks for your replies
H

BobEngineer said:
At 77,000 miles its only a feeling, but I think mine has degraded, my range is rubbish at the moment and fuel consumption is up but its hard to tell with so much cold weather as I like it fully warm so the power is going to that a lot. It will be interesting in the summer what it still does.

It would be really useful if the MMCS had a counter of how many miles you got from your battery since last charging.

I suppose you could try and work it out by resetting a trip meter for distance and dividing it up based on the EV mode counter.
Of course if you used save or charge mode it would not be accurate.

It would be useful to know how many real battery miles you get as the 'guessometer' is no help for this.

The simplest way if you have the MMCS is to set the charge cost to "1" per kWh and look at how much went in on a recharge from "empty"

It should be close to 9 Kwh on a good battery.

Hi, yes I will check that HHL, thanks.

I called and spoke to a service engineer. He says it is the cold weather this winter... I said it was the same yesterday at 10 deg but he said the battery probably wasn’t as warm as that. I’m not sure I agree as surely the needle would move on braking, just not as much. Anyway he said it will improve with warmer weather so I will have to wait and see. I might try ringing a different garage.
H

Did you speak to another garage. I didn't really think too much about this before as we didn't own the car from new but ours also doesn't go past the a in charge. Ours has done 76k and is charging to approx 21 miles in this cold weather. This is after being driven very carefully. The charge cost to us is showing as 86p a day set at 1.00 on charge car settings. I'm wondering now if its worth getting mine checked out too.

Hi. I did and he understood the issue more than the previous one and said he’d never come across it. I asked if they could do anything - he said there’s no error code... he said he would speak to mitsu technical dept but he’s not got back to me yet.

Is your needle not moving any further if you go into b5 and then brake from about 50mph with <1/3 battery level?

How long have you had your car - was it like that when you bought it?
Cheers
H

Mine doesn't go past the left of the a at all, doesn't matter what b mode I'm in or if I apply the breaks harder. I bought the car in September. Keep us posted how you get on please I might get mine looked at if it's supposed to do so,(I just won't take it to my local mitsubishi dealer who failed to pick up it had 2 rear seized calipers not long after I purchased it!)

Hypermiler said:
Hi, yes I will check that HHL, thanks.

I called and spoke to a service engineer. He says it is the cold weather this winter... I said it was the same yesterday at 10 deg but he said the battery probably wasn’t as warm as that. I’m not sure I agree as surely the needle would move on braking, just not as much. Anyway he said it will improve with warmer weather so I will have to wait and see. I might try ringing a different garage.
H
Hypermiler, that's not an unreasonable answer. If you can plug-in at home, try running the heat for 10 or 20 minutes before you depart. See if a warmer battery drives better. If there's no change in regen response, it might be worth taking it in. If the car takes more regen, then you've confirmed you have a service tech with a clue. Good Luck!

(I'm coming to the PHEV world from the EV side of things where I learned that a pre-warmed battery is a happy battery. :lol: )

At the risk of being divisive, I don't ever remember seeing the Charge needle going very far into the blue, since new. Are users really seeing a difference rather than looking because they feel there is something wrong? I still get well over 20 miles after 21k miles (3+ years) and charging up from about 50%every night, with very little change between winter & summer. I accept it might be that my battery never gets very cold because I have a fully enclosed car port to keep it in overnight - imagine a wide garage with on door. :D

greendwarf said:
At the risk of being divisive, I don't ever remember seeing the Charge needle going very far into the blue, since new. Are users really seeing a difference rather than looking because they feel there is something wrong? I still get well over 20 miles after 21k miles (3+ years) and charging up from about 50%every night, with very little change between winter & summer. I accept it might be that my battery never gets very cold because I have a fully enclosed car port to keep it in overnight - imagine a wide garage with on door. :D

Descending a moderately steep hill in B5, the needle on ours gets close to end-stop in the blue. Any difference between warm and cold weather has been too small for me to notice.

Been testing this again on my 2014 phev and the needle never goes past the a, I was going down a hill doing 55 mob with b5 on and used break a little too and it didn't go past the a at all.
My charge cost is only ever around 80p to 86p max I'm wondering if I have a problem too.

anko said:
Bobbybuttons said:
My charge cost is only ever around 80p to 86p max I'm wondering if I have a problem too.
Kinda depends on what your kWh rate is .Maybe it is better if we communicate in terms of kWh rather than p :geek:

I'm paying 9.08p per kwh. I set my charges to 000. 10 on settings.

Back