New outlander owner

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahaml620

Hi all,
Recently purchased a 2016 Outlander Phev from Motorpoint.
So far I cannot connect to the WiFi in the car as it sees the network but doesn’t accept password. Had it in to Mitsubishi to get the software updated but it keeps failing?

I have also just got Chargemaster to install a tethered point at my house, but the connector fits fine but doesn’t seem to connect, they have been back and tested the unit but still won’t connect. Works fine using 13amp plug?

It is due to go back in to Mitsubishi tomorrow to try and fix software and have a look at connector.

I’ve only had the car three weeks, love the car but a bit discouraged by the problems :cry:

Anyone had similar problems?

Welcome, sorry to hear of your troubles. Can't help with the wi-fi problem, but a few thoughts on the charger issue. First, if it's accepting charge from the supplied Mitsu "brick" there's unlikely to be anything wrong with your car. It might be a control fault in the wall charger, or the micro switch in the lead connector. There have been instances of those being faulty.

Hi Ray thanks for the reply.
Chargemaster tried it with a brand new unit and connector but still won't connect, they said the socket on the car looks rusty and could be causing it

Don't recall anyone on here reporting rust problems in the charge port. Possible, I suppose, but why does the Mitsu lead work OK? Do keep us informed of your progress, please. Where are you? Are you aware of anyone in the area whose charger you could try?

Does the Mitsubishi 13amp socket actually have the same, or as many 'live' connectors as the 16amp version, even though it goes into the same hole? Seems unlikely that two new wall chargepoints would fail. Maybe somebody has been a bit hamfisted with the socket in the past. There are a lot of pins to connect and if somebody has forced it at any time at a slight angle, then the input socket could be damaged and not connecting correctly with the 16amp plug. I always wiggle mine in very carefully in and out (ooh, matron). Presumably also a damaged input socket could have in past use damaged the receiving part as well.

Some people do seem to have little sympathy with things mechanical and electrical. They introduce an unnecessary emotional rage response and force things. The sort of person who bangs a computer mouse on the desk when it won't work properly. My girlfriend does this - especially with inanimate objects that can't protest. She's only plugged the PHEV in once under controlled conditions. You'd have thought Motorpoint would have tested this crucial component though wouldn't you? Wouldn't you? - although I was once told by a salesman at Motorpoint that a PHEV would achieve 164mpg at any speed and in any type of use.

I have a Rolec unit, and can confirm there's only 4 wires in the lead - the same as the Mitsu brick. Live, Neutral, Earth and CP (control pilot) wires. I can't see any reason why one charger would work and another not, if it's a fault on the car side of things. It's very odd.

Grahaml620 said:
Hi Ray thanks for the reply.
Chargemaster tried it with a brand new unit and connector but still won't connect, they said the socket on the car looks rusty and could be causing it
Rusty? Those are copper contacts in plastic... try a bit of contact spray or WD40.

Indeed, if it does work with the brick charger it should work with the ChargeMaster as well. Unless it was not properly installed, for example with insufficient grounding. I would try to get my hands on another PHEV (or another car with type 1 connector) and see if that charges with your ChargeMaster setup.

is there anything you can elaborate on? Does it start charging and then stop? Does it try to initialise charging but fail? What is going on? Do you hear any relays clicking in the car when connecting?

Took the car to Mitsubishi in Paisley. They tried to connect it to a chargemaster and it wouldn't work, then they tried a Rolec and the car just kept clicking on and off looks like a bad connection. It's going back in next week to see what the problem is.

Sounds like the car is establishing a 'charging' state but there is no voltage detected over the Neutral and Phase. Could indeed be caused by a bad connection on the two bigger pins. Maybe the pins (male or female?) on the brick charger are longer than the ones in the other chargers.

Update: Just got the car back from Mitsubishi. Seemingly the charge socket on my outlander is not working properly and they have had to put a replacement on special order.
Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Back