Quick Charging (Chademo)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevorh

I found this in the manual today:

Charging will stop at approximately 80 %
charge. This is a control for efficient charge
and not a malfunction.
To achieve full charge, repeat charging from
Step 2 again

Does that mean that you can use a Chademo charger to charge it up to 100%? Has anyone done this??

I have.

Infact the first time I tried a rapidcharger I already had a high level of charge, less than 80% and the car went to 100%.

So I have done a charge followed by a charge again since then, but for me the time is too much for the range you get.

Also in the UK chademo sourced electric miles cost more than petrol miles!

It stops at 80% for a reason. Beyond that the charge rate tapers off heavily & the batteries don't like to be DC charged up to full. 80% should give enough headroom to get to your destination or to the next charger - and there's always the 4B11 if push comes to shove.

Unless you REALLY need that last 20% (which translates to ~8km) while waiting for another 30 minutes and pissing off BEV drivers who may desperately need the DC Fast charger more than you, by all means.

stevorh said:
Does that mean that you can use a Chademo charger to charge it up to 100%? Has anyone done this??
Yes - just start the charge a second time.

Rechargeable lithium batteries are charged in a 2-phase process. The first, constant current, is the fastest and gets the battery up to about an 80% state of charge. Then the phase shifts to constant voltage (CV) for the last 20%. During the CV phase, the charging current continues to taper down towards zero. Even though CHAdeMO might be capable of 40 or 120A at peak, the charge algorithm and feedback from the battery and BMS won't let the charger push more than the battery can accept. It's not like connecting a hose to the fire hydrant and hoping the pressure doesn't blow out the windows. ;)

Charging etiquette might keep one from using a CHAdeMO box to charge to 100% when others are waiting in line, but the car won't let the charger hurt the battery.

Is there really no way to force fast charging up to 100% without manually confirming at 80%? I get all that being polite to others stuff, but assuming this charger is not much used and no one is around...

I do it all the time, we have one at work and I usually use the Rapid twice instead of the AC chargers. This allows everyone who can’t use the rapid (most other PHEVs) free AC chargers instead.
I’ve also noticed that it will charge from just below 80% to full without stopping.

Back