2019 Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

There are a few reports appearing ahead of a reveal of the 2019 model at Geneva. Some significant changes.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/102706/revised-2019-mitsubishi-outlander-set-for-geneva-with-phev-tech-upgrade

15% increase in battery capacity (pushing it to 13.8kWh)
10% increase in battery output.
Electric motor is receiving a 10% increase in output.

The really big one for UK company drivers is this (if true):

"The mechanical side of the powertrain has been updated too, as the sole internal combustion engine available (a petrol) is now a four-cylinder 2.4-litre Atkinson cycle unit."

If it can give better economy as well as being bigger it would be quite a gamechanger for those being reimbursed for business use by AFR (advisory fuel rates)

The PHEV is currently in the 1401cc to 2000cc category, the new bigger engine would put it in the Over 2000cc so you would be paid a significantly higher rate per mile, currently 14p, the over 2000 rate is 21p!

At 14p per mile and petrol around £1.18 litre you need to average 38mpg to break even.

At 21p you only need do 25mpg to break even! even the lead footed should manage that! and if the engine does give more efficiency people will actually make a bit of profit running a PHEV entirely on petrol.

I know the Green issues concerned guys here will be horrified at this news, but Mitsubishi will be selling PHEV's like never before as it will be a no-brainer to run one.

Also there have been complex UK tax changes, for company car drivers who are offered either money to run their own car or a company car, they will be taxed on whichever works out worse for them! the exemption is if they pick an ULEV to drive, so a huge amount of drivers will be looking at PHEV's next time they renew their car.

The linked AutoExpress article claims there will be little improvement in (EV) range, as the extra battery is cancelled out by higher power. But I don't think that's correct - unless you drive with your 'pedal to the metal', there's no necessity to use any more power than in the current model, so I would hope to get a real-world range of over 30 miles.

ChrisMiller said:
The linked AutoExpress article claims there will be little improvement in (EV) range, as the extra battery is cancelled out by higher power. But I don't think that's correct - unless you drive with your 'pedal to the metal', there's no necessity to use any more power than in the current model, so I would hope to get a real-world range of over 30 miles.

This is true, and peak power is only ever used for hard acceleration anyway so for a short time, making it more responsive isn't a bad thing.

I am surprised they didn't go a bit bigger still, but from 2020 the BIK rates will be sub-divided on EV only range.

The current PHEV (33) is in the 30-39 band so 12%, if the bigger battery on the new one can squeeze it to 40 miles ('official' test, of course never in real world!) then it goes into 40-69 band so BIK is only 8%, very attractive...

I have a strong suspicion this is the strategy Mitsubishi are targeting.. its very smart of them.

If we think the PHEV has been big up until now, with the changes happening to UK tax and the modifications to the PHEV it could be even bigger going forward.

Back