key not detected

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMH

Hi, on occasion if a door is slammed the car key moves in its slot and the message "key not detected" appears on the dashboard. Does anyone know if this will cause problems with the car ie. it stops running and also, is the key still being charged? Thank in advance for any help, regards, SMH

No, the car won't stop running. Is the key charged on the newer models? I've never put the key in the slot in my car, I would have to find it first ;) , it is usually somewhere in my pocket.

It seems there is a common misconception about the key and the slot. I think Mitsu just suggest it as a place you could keep the key, mines never been in there. The remote uses a CR2032 battery as far as I know, I dont think theres any question of charging involved unless its a new feature. I dont see the point anyway, a good battery is a pound, and lasts years.

My understanding is that the slot is needed only if the battery in the key has failed. My key never leaves my pocket (except for storage at home when not in use :)).

westdevon said:
It seems there is a common misconception about the key and the slot. I think Mitsu just suggest it as a place you could keep the key, mines never been in there. The remote uses a CR2032 battery as far as I know, I dont think theres any question of charging involved unless its a new feature. I dont see the point anyway, a good battery is a pound, and lasts years.
My understanding too. Has anything changed on the newest model? I rather doubt it. The car gives a "key battery low" warning if needed.

jaapv said:
I've never put the key in the slot in my car, I would have to find it first ;) , it is usually somewhere in my pocket.

Sorry jaapv, can't resist it - Funny place to keep a slot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It happens the same to me. When I put the key in the charger and then, I open and close one of the doors, the message appears: key not detected. Someone knows the cause.
B.R.

Interestingly you can drive the car without the key present!

I dropped my wife at a theatre door, just pausing to let her out of the car and without switching the car off. I then drove 500m or so to find a space and parked the car. When I went to lock the car I found that I didn't have the key. I later found that my wife had the key in her handbag as she had preceded me going to the car to 'unplug' it and had unlocked the car and placed the key in her handbag as she usually does. :roll:
As I walked away from the parked car it automatically locked itself.

Didn't the car complain when she got out with the key with lots of noise and flash up a message on the screen?

Tipper said:
Interestingly you can drive the car without the key present!

I dropped my wife at a theatre door, just pausing to let her out of the car and without switching the car off. I then drove 500m or so to find a space and parked the car. When I went to lock the car I found that I didn't have the key. I later found that my wife had the key in her handbag as she had preceded me going to the car to 'unplug' it and had unlocked the car and placed the key in her handbag as she usually does. :roll:
As I walked away from the parked car it automatically locked itself.
Not so strange. This is for the eventuality that something fails in the connection between the key and the car during driving - empty battery, interference by a cell-phone, etc., It prevents the car from grinding to a halt in an inconvenient spot.

greendwarf said:
Didn't the car complain when she got out with the key with lots of noise and flash up a message on the screen?

Not squeak until I went to lock it and found I didn't have the key, then it was me that complained the most as it was pouring with rain!
I didn't find out it had locked itself as I walked away until I had got hold of the key and returned to the car to find it self-locked. I was soaked and my wife's name was !!!!! :evil:

Back