New Outlander 2014 owner with questions :)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pabbie

Hi!

I just bought an Outlander and I have a few questions. I'll probably come with more questions as time goes so I'll just keep adding as we go along :)

1. When i finish my ride, I want to turn off the engine but keep listening to music. Is that possible? I tried putting it into Neutral first but that didn't help.

2. Is there a way to have the doors lock themselves automatically after driving a few meters?

3. What's up with all the beeping? :shock: Is there a way for it to now beeping while for example changing the temperature? I already figured out how to turn of the beeping in the dashboard.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

1. I don't think you can do this directly. You'd have to press the power off button, and then press it again but without putting your foot on the brake. This is basically like turning the ignition on in a normal car, so will allow you to use all the electrical functions but without the engine being started (or put into 'Ready' mode in PHEV terms). Note though that unless you are running the engine for heat, when you come to a standstill you can just put the car into Park and not Power Off. That should allow you to continue listening to music and the engine shouldn't run unless its needed to provide heat for the cabin.

2. This isn't possible on the PHEV, and I thought that this was down to legal requirements in many countries where having the doors locked is deemed to be dangerous in the event that you have a crash. I could be wrong, and I know some manufacturers implement this so that the doors unlock when an impact is detected, but either way there is no setting on the PHEV to activate this function.

3. Yes, a quick read through this forum will make you realise that everyone else is also irritated by the constant beeps. Not a lot you can do unless you want to start removing panels and ripping out wiring, but one thing I have learned to do is put my seat belt on before I press the Power button, which at least eliminates the annoying 5 beeps you get as soon as you press Start !

Thanks for the fast reply.

See thats the thing though, I live in Sweden and it get cold. So then the engine would start to keep the car warm.
But I guess I could just put it in Park and turn of the Clime Control :)

daveken said:
2. my dealer said this is now a legal requirement for the doors not to lock automatically

Legal where?
I used to drive an Audi and I'm pretty sure the doors unlock in case of a collision.

pabbie said:
Thanks for the fast reply.

See thats the thing though, I live in Sweden and it get cold. So then the engine would start to keep the car warm.
But I guess I could just put it in Park and turn of the Clime Control :)

If your in auxiliary mode, pressing the start button without pressing the brake, the heating or engine won't work, just some electrical things like dashboard and radio.

If you park from 'ready' mode instead you can have heating on, if you don't select 'save' or 'charge' mode the engine won't start it will use battery power for heating, until the battery gets to minimum allowed level.

The cars wifi user/password wasn't provided to me by the previous owner, is there no way to reset it?
Can I do it myself or can Mistubishi do it? Or can no one? :/

pabbie said:
The cars wifi user/password wasn't provided to me by the previous owner, is there no way to reset it?

WiFi password can be read only using the MUT3 diagnostic ... so you most probably need the official Mitsubishi dealer for this.

Some get this done for free inside the servicing of the car ... some dealers may ask money for this service.

In my case I did not got the WiFi password from the previous owner of my PHEV, and my local dealer has been qyuite bad on managing this issue ... so ... I still don't have this .. but actually I don't miss this function.

The only important remote tool, is the activating of cabin heater or AC .. and this is done perfectly by hacking the key fob.

elm70 said:
pabbie said:

WiFi password can be read only using the MUT3 diagnostic ... so you most probably need the official Mitsubishi dealer for this.

Some get this done for free inside the servicing of the car ... some dealers may ask money for this service.

In my case I did not got the WiFi password from the previous owner of my PHEV, and my local dealer has been qyuite bad on managing this issue ... so ... I still don't have this .. but actually I don't miss this function.

The only important remote tool, is the activating of cabin heater or AC .. and this is done perfectly by hacking the key fob.

Yeah the app seems horrible so might not even miss it really.
Hacking the key fob?

How do you guys lock the cable while charging in public charging spots?
I'd be helpful you could post pics.

It locks into the charger; you must swipe your card to start charging and lock the cable and swipe again to unlock. If in doubt, park one wheel on the cable and pull the hand brake.

daveken said:
2. my dealer said this is now a legal requirement for the doors not to lock automatically
And he is right in the EU.
But it is not THAT difficult to push the central locking button when driving off.

jaapv said:
It locks into the charger; you must swipe your card to start charging and lock the cable and swipe again to unlock. If in doubt, park one wheel on the cable and pull the hand brake.

I haven't gotten my cable yet, will arrive tomorrow so don't have experience yet. I don't think the public charging stations lock the cable in place but I guess I'll see.
The cable won't take damage from putting a wheel on it?

jaapv said:
But it is not THAT difficult to push the central locking button when driving off.

No it's not, it's just one of those nice to have features. Not a big deal.

Normally, at a public charging station, you will need to plug in, swipe the card, which will lock the cable on the charger side, charge, swipe the card again to unlock, and unplug.

I once got into trouble. I had plugged in, a lady drove up, and plugged in, probably not all the way, swiped her card, didn't get a charge and unplugged the cable to drive off. I didn't think about it, swiped and left. Coming back my cable was locked to the charger. It turned out she had locked my cable in. It took me half an hour to get the provider to unlock the charger remotely.

These are heavy armoured cables; you can drive a truck over them without trouble.

jaapv said:
These are heavy armoured cables; you can drive a truck over them without trouble.

Never seen any type of armour so far... Maybe you have a Star Wars version?

I simply wouldn't do that intentionally, especially not on hard ground like asphalt or concrete at the charging station.

BR, Harald

jaapv said:
daveken said:
On the other hand, the car still supports it. Mine auto locks, but it requires a helpful dealer or special tools (not just an obdii dongle)

The cable may or may not lock in to the charge post. For example, some over here from podpoint will release the cable once it is disconnected at the car end.

I just use a padlock - 5mm iirc - on the car end. Sure, someone who is determined would probably be able to break it but it discourages the general riff raff from playing around with it.

Lance said:
The cable may or may not lock in to the charge post. For example, some over here from podpoint will release the cable once it is disconnected at the car end.

I just use a padlock - 5mm iirc - on the car end. Sure, someone who is determined would probably be able to break it but it discourages the general riff raff from playing around with it.

How do you mean on the car end? Could you please post a picture if you find the time? :p

pabbie said:
Could you please post a picture if you find the time? :p
Some type 1 connectors (car side) have a little hole in the button that you must press to unlock the connector. Where they do, you can put a small padlock through the hole, making it impossible to push the button.

Back