Non Toyo tires

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkshire

Hey,

Just bought a 2014 GX3 and need to replace my tires. After reading various threads about Toyo or non Toyo tires I'm still non the wiser.

Does anyone have firsthand of buying any other brand? And if so can you please let me know the spec?

I can get trade prices but the Toyos are costly when you are buying 4...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... :D

Cheers

All A-brands offer special SUV tyres. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them. Toyos cannot really be rated as top-of-the-line.

You may consider going for all-season tyres. The newest types are as good as summer tyres in summer and rival winter tyres in winter.

Michelin Cross Climate (expensive), Vredenstein Quatrac 5 and Goodyear Vector come to mind.

Excellent, thanks for that jaapv. Been on loads of tire sites, confusing - each one tells a different story about the same tire.

Would the Toyo fitted be classed as summer? They are on some sites. I'll take a look at those now. I'm in Ireland so rarely need winter but it's pretty wet.

Ireland has an excellent climate for all-season tyres. They are excellent in summer, comfortable and not too loud, they can double as winter tyres for the few snowy days in winter, and they really shine on wet, slippery roads with autumn leaves or farmer's mud in the spring and autumn. Aquaplaning behaviour is better than summer tyres too.
In our country, which may be slightly colder than Ireland or the UK in winter, but has a pretty similar wet climate, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is the highest rated tyre in Trustpilot.
Toyo's are clear summer tyres which are not very grippy in cool wet conditions and downright useless in winter snow and ice.

Can't vouch for specific tyres for PHEV, but we've been running Michelin CrossClimates on our supermini and our MPV. They've been great all year and haven't put a foot wrong in the recent snow when a couple of cars in our courtyard (including a 4wd Audi S3) got stuck on our shared drive on summer tyres...

ThudnBlundr said:
when a couple of cars in our courtyard (including a 4wd Audi S3) got stuck on our shared drive on summer tyres...

I'll bet that was humbling. More research to do. Some of the brands above are pretty dear but I might just bite the bullet.

Cheers

Hi,
I have change all the toyo tyre to avon tyres in November due to the wet rating and so far they preformed well, not expensive, £91 each. 4 tyres and wheel alignment for less than £400.

Jimc said:
Hi,
I have change all the toyo tyre to avon tyres in November due to the wet rating and so far they preformed well, not expensive, £91 each. 4 tyres and wheel alignment for less than £400.
I noticed Avon's on Black circles. Did you have any issues with the TPMS after fitting?

I haven't had any problem with tpms, just removed, replaced and balance, no need to remove the tpms sensors.

Fit Vredenstein Quatrac 5 (excellent!) or similar.

I'm a recent convert to 'all season' tyres (maybe they've not been around very long (?)) but quite honestly now that they are I believe it should be a legal requirement in the UK to have them fitted if you're not swopping summer and winter tyres at the approriate climatic points in the year.

Quite apart from the improved performance in reduced temperatures I'm sick and tyred (see what I did there) of seeing endless TV footage of the country grinding to a standstill every time an inch of snow falls on the roads. People stuck in cars for days when there's only 6 inches of snow on the ground!

Looks like the gritters are running on summer tyres too.

And it's going to snow again this weekend....Gaaaawd help us all!

Jim B

jaapv said:
I fully agree. In climates like ours, all-season tyres or a summer-winter swop should be a legal requirement.
You'd think Mitsubishi would have a higher spec of tires then. Shame.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

You wouldn't believe the penny-pinching that goes on in the motor industry. A maker will put out a tender for tyres and the one that just meets the specs and is 1$ cheaper gets the order.

Look at the problems Ford had with their (?Explorer) SUV as they cut costs on tyres. Their issue was that they sold so many that a $mall saving per tyre added up to million$ over the production run

I too have been looking at alternatives to the factory fitted Toyo tyres. The advent of All Season tyres makes those such as the Vredestein Quatrac 5 seem very appealing. My Toyos have done over 31,000 miles with around 5-6 mm tread remaining so I'm not complaining.

I had been looking at summer tires due to the fact the Toyo are too.

Was looking at these: They get decent reviews https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/kumho-crugen-premium-kl33-225-60-r17-99-h?origin=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm5jf7O7u2QIVyZkbCh0PmAN2EAQYASABEgK5efD_BwE

The rolling restistance and grip are good too. It is rated as having better grip in the wet than the Vredestein Quatrac:
https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/vredestein-quatrac-5-225-55-r18-98-v#185028219

Would have thought the all weather would have better wet grip? Will make a decision tomorrow.

I'm in on west of Ireland coast. It's wet rarely icy here, snow would be extreme -only once got proper snow in the last 15 years - the beast from east!

Cheers

Yorkshire said:

I'm in on west of Ireland coast. It's wet rarely icy here, snow would be extreme -only once got proper snow in the last 15 years - the beast from east!

Cheers

Whizzed up and down the west coast, inc. The Dingle on the Toyos in Summer 2016 with no problems - rain or shine :D

Yorkshire said:

Was looking at these: They get decent reviews https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/kumho-crugen-premium-kl33-225-60-r17-99-h?origin=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm5jf7O7u2QIVyZkbCh0PmAN2EAQYASABEgK5efD_BwE

The rolling restistance and grip are good too. It is rated as having better grip in the wet than the Vredestein Quatrac:
https://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/vredestein-quatrac-5-225-55-r18-98-v#185028219

Would have thought the all weather would have better wet grip? Will make a decision tomorrow.

Cheers
Winter tyres are not just for snow - a common misconception. Thet are meant for any inclement weather below 15ºC. Don't tell me you don't get rain in winter in Western Ireland...

Back