Link display and Hands Free Connection

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnCourse

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can answer this as it's starting to drive me insane.

I've recently bought a 2017 Outlander PHEV. I've setup my Android Samsung Galaxy phone so I can use hands free calling and that was easy enough to complete. However, now I'm attempting to setup my phone to use Android Auto and it simply will not connect to the car system. I've tried three cables to no avail. The cables work because when I turn off Bluetooth the phone starts to charge so I'm assuming the cables are fine.

I've searched in the manual to see if there's a setting in the Car to enable this feature but it appears not to be the case. So my question is, can you have your phone setup for hands free AND use the Link Display or are they mutually exclusive? I really didn't want to try unpairing my phone, etc., just in case that's not the problem and I may end up with problems trying to reinstate it.

Any help would save what remaining hair I have left

Thank you
Dave

Have you got the Android Auto app installed on your phone Dave?

In terms of the cable, there are separate pins for power and data, so it charging your phone doesn't automatically mean that data is transferring too. Try plugging the phone into your computer - does the PC "see" the phone and install its drivers?

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have Android Auto installed on my phone and the phone connects to my PC no problem as I always use a direct connection for transferring photos and music. I have a Samsung Galaxy 6, running Android version 6 OS which, apparently, is compatible with the Outlander system. As I say, the normal hands free connection works well but of course that is purely handled via Bluetooth. I understand what you say about the separate pins in the cable connectors but I have tried three different cables.

Are there any specific MMS car settings pertaining to the Auto App that need turning on, as I certainly haven't discovered any and all the documentation simply states install the Auto App and connect the cable?

Do you have the Bluetooth (hands free) connectivity working AND able to connect/use the Auto App?

Thanks again for your time

Good to know that the cables are fine Dave. I don't have MMCS myself, I use a Pioneer with a rooted Android that gives me full phone usage on the head unit.

In your phone's Auto app, have you checked whether "Only connect to known cars" is ticked in Settings, Connected Cars?

If that's ticked, I'd untick it then restart the connection. If it's not ticked, I'd delete the Bluetooth pairing then try the app from there.

Kev

Can't actually see that setting in the app but there are obviously no cars showing in the app. The option to start setup when connected to a car system is selected but of course that doesn't kick in because a connection is never made. I think I'll forget using the link display, I originally thought it would be useful for Google maps but will just live with the inbuilt sat Nav

That'd be a shame. One last thing to try - when you connect to the car, drag down the top of the phone screen to show the notification area. If you're running Oreo, you might see at the bottom that it says USB charging. Tap on there and try file transfer instead.

Kev

Hi Dave
Are you sure you have a Andriod system installed in the car? and not the old MMCS.
The Android system has no satnav only the old MMCS has a satnav.
Regards
Peter

peterb2 said:
Hi Dave
Are you sure you have a Andriod system installed in the car? and not the old MMCS.
The Android system has no satnav only the old MMCS has a satnav.
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter

I'm not sure. All I know is I have a Sat Nav and my manual tells me I can use Android Auto, simply by connecting it via USB. My car was first registered in May 2017.

Just thought I would update this thread in case any other poor soul has spent too much time trying to get your Android Auto App to connect to your Multi Media Communication Screen. Don't bother trying! It doesn't work! Finally I received a response from Mitsubishi. Despite what 'I think' I've been reading in the manual here's what they said to my question 'Should it work?'

I can confirm the android auto app connects with the new SDA unit (Smartphone Display Audio), as you currently have an MMCS (Multi Media Communication Screen) this would not be able to work with Android Auto.

My PHEV was registered end of March 2017

Back