Chargemaster

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris555

When I purchased my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV G4hs in May 2015 I had a tethered Chargemaster Home Charge unit installed by Chargemaster on 3rd June 2015. Up until last few weeks, it has worked fine. In the last few weeks, it has become faulty. When you plug it into the car it goes through the charging sequence for about 20 seconds then starts to flash amber and green every few seconds and not charging the car. I have plugged in a Mitsibushi charging cable to a 13 amp plug and that works fine and the car charges fine elsewhere so I know it’s not the car. I decided to contact Chargemaster and found to my surprise the charging unit was still under warranty until 3rd June 2018. I explained the problem and they immediately said it was down to wear and tear and was not covered by there warranty. I explained actually there is a split in the casing where the plug sits so I don’t know if that is letting in water or there is another problem. They asked me to take some photographs which I did and now say its accidental damage therefore not covered by the warranty. When I contacted Chargemaster I did not know the charger was still under warranty and expected to pay for a repair, but their whole attitude has been intent on not honoring their warranty and I cannot recommend them at all. I wonder if other owners have had similar problems with Chargemaster.

A symptom of today, I'm afraid. Not just chargemaster, but every firm I've ever had dealings with. They take your money with utopian promises of ongoing happiness, but when things go awry, they don't want to know.

By the way, a lot of charging problems are found to be due to the little microswitch in the plug at the car end of the lead. Some are set right at the limit of their operation, and a bit of wear and tear will see them operating when they shouldn't. Could be worth a check, if you're inclined to a bit of dismantling.

Thanks, Ray - it is sad, I will look into the switch. I'm not sure if anyone can recommend a suitable replacement to the Chargemaster home charger unit.

I bought (privately) a Rolec unit. When it failed, I bought one of these: https://ecoharmony.co.uk/collections/evse-protocol-controller

That got me going, while I faulted the original unit. That proved to be the Mains to 12 volt power supply. £3.25 later, it was replaced with a generic one from eBay (other suppliers are available).

So I now have the original re-installed and am keeping the Viridian unit as spare. There's nothing complicated to changing out the controllers as a unit, you don't need to know what goes on inside them.

Try wiggling the cable at the car end when its plugged in. You may find that its a poor connection in the lead near where the connector is and it might intermittently start charging. If this is the case it really should be covered under warranty. Even if this does not work, these units really should have been expected to last more than 3 years. Don't give up too easily on claiming a repair or replacement under warranty.

Chris555 said:
Thanks, Ray - it is sad, I will look into the switch. I'm not sure if anyone can recommend a suitable replacement to the Chargemaster home charger unit.
Normally you just have to bend the actuator strip slightly.

Inside the plug. In mine there was a spring/metal strip that actuates the microswitch from the locking button.

It's here:
1zdxcab.jpg

Thanks Ray, that's brilliant. I have written to Chargemaster again trying to get them to honour their warranty, but I do not hold out much hope.

Usually just need to bend that arm away from the operating latch, so that it takes a bit more movement of the latch to operate the microswitch. I've had to do two of them!

Sorry to hear this.

I recently had the totally opposite experience with them. Intermittent problem with charging, and they came out and replaced the 2015 unit under warranty (which, like you, I had no idea was still valid) with no fuss.

My Chargemaster was installed August 2014. It stopped charging in Sept 2017 (must have a timeclock built-in!).

Spoke to Chargemaster who suggested I turn off the supply for 10 mins which resets the box. It worked! But recently stopped charging again so I'll have to wait for a convenient time to turn house main supply off (would have had separate isolator installed had I known about this).

Yes, just turn off the supply (fuse) for around 60 seconds (no need for 10 mins) then power back on, let the unt go through its power up cycle and away you go.
Worth a try

WattCar said:
My Chargemaster was installed August 2014. It stopped charging in Sept 2017 (must have a timeclock built-in!).

Spoke to Chargemaster who suggested I turn off the supply for 10 mins which resets the box. It worked! But recently stopped charging again so I'll have to wait for a convenient time to turn house main supply off (would have had separate isolator installed had I known about this).

Is this a joke?! I thought we left "Turn it off, then turn it back on" long ago in the dark ages of electronics! About time someone got their act together at Chargemaster, if you ask me. You didn't? OK. ;)

Regulo said:
Is this a joke?! I thought we left "Turn it off, then turn it back on" long ago in the dark ages of electronics! About time someone got their act together at Chargemaster, if you ask me. You didn't? OK. ;)

I'm just happy to be at the forefront of electric car technology (which I was back in June 2014!) so I expected a few hiccups.

Yes, just turn off the supply (fuse) for around 60 seconds (no need for 10 mins) then power back on, let the unt go through its power up cycle and away you go.
Worth a try
This works also when it flatly refuses to start charging, usually in cold weather (which in the UK means any day it gets a bit frosty). I've had this happen maybe a dozen times in the 6 years I've had the car, and it has worked every time. The standard "switch it off and on again".

Back