Strange smell from AC system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baingyl

I have been driving my PHEV for 2 1/2 year. Since about six months i have noticed a strange smell from the vents when having the "snowflake" (AC?) activated. It smells a little like ...horse manure or mold!?!?! :roll:

I had hoped that this smell would disappear after the recent yearly service, but nope the smell is still there if i activate the snowflake. So nowadays i prefer to drive without the snowflake symbol activated. I think (but am not sure) that the smell disappears during longer drives, or perhaps my nose gets used to the smell and does not register it after 10-15 minutes exposure?...

Anyone else who has experienced this?

It sounds like you have got mould on the AC matrix ,this is a common problem with AC systems .most car accessory shops sell an aerosol spray with a long tube that you push into one of the vents in the dash .
Have a look at giving one of these a try I hope it sorts your problem for you
:)

jaapv said:
Air conditioners need yearly maintenance...

That's why also mine stinks a bit :roll:

I'm just 6 months late on my yearly service ... I was thinking that since I drive 90% in EV mode I don't need the 12months service interval as per the manual ... as well .. I'm out of warranty .... so no real consequence on being late on servicing

Thanks for reply. I think that this should have been taken care of (cleaning AC and filter replacement) at my recent certified Mitsubishi service center visit. Otherwise i could go to any car shop.

I have previously had two Ford Mondeo as first owner, both with AC and none of them ever had theese problems.

Will take a look at Dettol or similar and give it a go.

Hello,

I also had this issue and thought it was because I rarely used the AC (due to it draining battery power). I thought that it might had went "stale" or whatever, but after enduring the smell for a little while longer, it went away. Haven't had it lately (even though I still very seldom engage the AC).

Interesting to hear about the possible mold situation; I will most surely keep that in mind if "the stink" comes back. I have that spray with the long nozzle; I bought it for my previous car but never used it.

Don't know if this is the case on the PHEV, but on some cars the drain hole at the bottom of the filter housing can become blocked. The filter then gets wet and allows mould to grow. It could be that a drain hole needs clearing to avoid it happening again.

Just done the PHEV and my Smart car with Dettol. The Smart smelt a bit like dried parmesan cheese (or in fact sick) and the PHEV just smelt a bit odd - sort of like chlorine. These smells do usually seem to occur when the cold aircon hasn't been used over the winter. It's a very good idea to switch aircon off about 5 minutes before you get to your destination and just use the fan, as the outside air then dries off the evaporator and other gubbins inside the dashboard.

jaapv said:
Why don't you use your aircon over winter? It is the best way to demist the car.

Definitely - I don't think mine has ever been switched off since the car was built about three and a half years ago.

jaapv said:
Air conditioners need yearly maintenance...

And regular running...during the year...not only to stop the compressor pump seals drying out and the loss of refrigerant (bad for the environment too!) but also to reduce the likelihood of mould growing within.

Our PHEV, as with all other 'aircon' cars we have owned, has the aircon on 100% of the time. Cooling in summer, demisting in winter, especially on rainy days. :) The car has aircon and we use it.

Well I do use it over the winter (for the reasons mentioned) but not all the time. I suppose I think about the extra electricity/fuel needed to run it. Also my other half complains that she feels a bit odd when in an air conditioned environment for any length of time (she suffers from various intolerances to food and environment). I've noticed this too after about 5 hours in an air-conditioned environment.

It only ever seems to smell when it's on its coldest position though, never in the winter when it's on hot. Not sure why this should be the case. Perhaps a self fullfilling prophecy (I do like self fullfilling prophecies!) - the mould forms within the system as a result of the warmer outside temperature, which is why I turn it to the coldest setting. It does get hot in Inverness sometimes.

I've often noticed in the past that light aircraft and helicopters often smell a bit sicky - never sure if it's because somebody has actually been sick or whether it's the air con. Although the fact that they smell a bit sicky can't be helpful to those who are inclined towards feeling sick when flying. So maybe another self fullfilling prophecy.

Back