What Car - updates on long term test here

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maddogsetc said:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/july/1303096

Not exactly extensive coverage, but interesting nonetheless. Shame they don't give any details on the long-run fuel costs, given that he's racked up over 7k miles now :?

Actually, I think what people actually get is unimportant the more I think about it as everyone had a different drive pattern.

I think it more important to know what mpg you get when the engine is running. So 65-70 motorway gives about 40mpg. The first 30 miles are free (give or take) so a 60 mile trip would give about 80mpg.

Kind regards
Mark

Actually, I'm not really that interested in mpg per se, however you calculate it. It's the overall fuel cost (eg. pence per mile) that interests me because that's the only way to get a real comparison with the cost of running a 'conventional' car.

And because short-term fuel costs are so dependant on the type of trips taken, to get any meaningful comparison you need to look at the long-term. That's why I'm disappointed that What Car haven't published any costs as 7000+ miles should give a good indication of long run costs for that particular user.

Although I appreciate that, for this type of car, the variability between different users even over the long-term could still be substantial.

That's my point. It will only tell you about him. He can do his daily commute just on battery (if he keeps a/c off) he says so his average mpg will totally depend on the distance and frequency of his leisure pursuits.

As to total cost, including electricity, I fully agree with you. But again, he charges for free at work, so how can that be costed to give an average that is useful to anyone else?

The point I'm trying to make is that if you have a reasonable estimate of your mpg WHEN the engine has to run, you know how many miles you do per year AND can estimate how many of those can be done on battery, since you know your electricity costs (unless free charging) you can make a very good estimate of YOUR total running costs.

Kind regards
Mark

I agree it's personal to him but it would still be interesting to know what he's achieved. It's a road test for a car mag after all, and it's a car that majors on low running costs so I would have thought most readers would be interested in fuel costs. If we were talking about the F-type (drool!) then fair enough, but we're not.

The total electric cost can be picked up through the charge cost MMCS option as the car doesn't know who's paying for the electricity. So he could tell us what the total charge cost has been (to a fair degree of accuracy). it's up to readers to make their own estimate of how much of that charge cost they would have to bear personally. I would guess most people have a pretty good idea of that.

And I'm not sure how easy it is in practice to calculate an 'mpg when ICE is running' figure that would be meaningful enough to use for predicting future costs (for me at least). My ICE runs most days. But usually only for a few minutes in parallel mode at the end of a journey. So how would I estimate the mpg for that period (or indeed how many of those miles I will do over the longer term) with any level of accuracy?

maddogsetc said:
I agree it's personal to him but it would still be interesting to know what he's achieved. It's a road test for a car mag after all, and it's a car that majors on low running costs so I would have thought most readers would be interested in fuel costs. If we were talking about the F-type (drool!) then fair enough, but we're not.

The total electric cost can be picked up through the charge cost MMCS option as the car doesn't know who's paying for the electricity. So he could tell us what the total charge cost has been (to a fair degree of accuracy). it's up to readers to make their own estimate of how much of that charge cost they would have to bear personally. I would guess most people have a pretty good idea of that.

And I'm not sure how easy it is in practice to calculate an 'mpg when ICE is running' figure that would be meaningful enough to use for predicting future costs (for me at least). My ICE runs most days. But usually only for a few minutes in parallel mode at the end of a journey. So how would I estimate the mpg for that period (or indeed how many of those miles I will do over the longer term) with any level of accuracy?

Hi,
Yes, I agree with your points. As for your mpg in parallel hybrid mode, just reset your auto mpg reading when the engine starts and the displayed mpg when you finish your journey is surely exactly the number you want?
Kind regards,
Mark

As for your mpg in parallel hybrid mode, just reset your auto mpg reading when the engine starts and the displayed mpg when you finish your journey is surely exactly the number you want?
I guess so but I'm not convinced that I'll get a very representative and consistent mpg over the mile or two that it runs and even if it did I'd still have the problem of estimating with any accuracy how many of those miles I'll be doing.

It's just a shame that, with all the data options that the car gives you, there isn't one that gives what (in my opinion at least) most people are interested in - petrol and electricity used over a chosen period and the miles covered during that period.

And whatever anyone else says, I don't believe that the 'Manual' reset option in the Trip screen either gives that information or more importantly, does what the handbook says it should do. Perhaps that's something which is fixed with the dubious software update...

maddogsetc said:
As for your mpg in parallel hybrid mode, just reset your auto mpg reading when the engine starts and the displayed mpg when you finish your journey is surely exactly the number you want?
I guess so but I'm not convinced that I'll get a very representative and consistent mpg over the mile or two that it runs and even if it did I'd still have the problem of estimating with any accuracy how many of those miles I'll be doing.

Give it a go. I'd be interested in the number...

maddogsetc said:
And whatever anyone else says, I don't believe that the 'Manual' reset option in the Trip screen either gives that information or more importantly, does what the handbook says it should do. Perhaps that's something which is fixed with the dubious software update...

I have no confidence in any of the numbers the car displays EXCEPT in both auto mode and manual mode the mpg number seems entirely believable UNTIL you achieve more than 99.9mpg as it then just displays 0.0mpg.

Kind regards,
Mark

maddogsetc said:

It might headline on low running costs, but I don't think that should be a major consideration in any decision to buy an Outlander PHEV. This is a £30k car, guys, and while it may be able to turn in hundreds of MPG under very special conditions, I doubt that many of us will do much better than 60 or 70 MPG-equivalent (taking into account the cost of electricity) over a prolonged period. It's not hard to find a perfectly functional conventional car capable of turning in 50mpg at under £10k and that £20k price difference is significantly more than any conceivable running cost saving you might be able to make over the lifetime of the vehicle.

We've bought one because we like it! We're currently running an elderly Landcruiser that can just about manage 25mpg if driven very carefully - if the Outlander averages 50mpg, I'll be very happy!

I doubt that many of us will do much better than 60 or 70 MPG-equivalent (taking into account the cost of electricity) over a prolonged period.
I'm getting WAY more than that, over 1000 miles, and I expect to be able to maintain it for most of my motoring year.

In terms of cost - it depends on what you are comparing with and how it's being run. I'm running mine through our business and with the low BIK, VED exempt, 100% WDA I can buy and run this car for 3 years for no more than it was going to cost me to keep my 8 year old Disco another 3 years.

Take out the cost advantage and I'd be buying another Land Rover for sure.

maddogsetc said:
I doubt that many of us will do much better than 60 or 70 MPG-equivalent (taking into account the cost of electricity) over a prolonged period.
I'm getting WAY more than that, over 1000 miles, and I expect to be able to maintain it for most of my motoring year.

In terms of cost - it depends on what you are comparing with and how it's being run. I'm running mine through our business and with the low BIK, VED exempt, 100% WDA I can buy and run this car for 3 years for no more than it was going to cost me to keep my 8 year old Disco another 3 years.

Take out the cost advantage and I'd be buying another Land Rover for sure.

Ours will also be a company purchase - and again, the company is ours - so the same considerations apply. But I was talking purely in terms of fuel consumption. If you are simply purchasing a vehicle to get from A to B, then I doubt that the Outlander PHEV makes financial sense for that many people - you can buy a perfectly functional vehicle for £20k less so, assuming that it has a ten year life expectancy, you need to save £2000 per annum to break even - even in our gas-guzzling Landcruiser, we don't spend much more that that on fuel in total.

We were Land Rover drivers for a long time, but abandoned them with some regret when the build quality took such a dive that they were spending more time being repaired than being driven. Hopefully the Outlander will not be the same!

Yep, I understand what you're saying, although I'm not sure there's many comparable vehicles for £10k though, Dacia Duster aside?

Does anyone really buy a car just to get from A to B? There'd be an awful lot of G-Wiz's around if that were the case :lol:

maddogsetc said:
Yep, I understand what you're saying, although I'm not sure there's many comparable vehicles for £10k though, Dacia Duster aside?

Does anyone really buy a car just to get from A to B? There'd be an awful lot of G-Wiz's around if that were the case :lol:

Ah, quite true, but I didn't say "comparable", just "functional" - to buy an Outlander PHEV, you need to want a fairly large 4WD estate with quite a high level of equipment - then it can make financial sense.

Back