Very erratic regen behaviour when battery is dead

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcwxs

Hi all, I have a 2015 PHEV and just recently its started behaving very erratically when coasting (regenerating) but only when the battery is depleted. The car seems to switch from power to wheels to battery to both, making for a very jerky ride. It feels like the engine braking changes constantly without touching the paddles. It seems fine when the battery has charge, it regenerates as expected ...... any ideas ???

I guess you will need the professional for that?

For defining the problem more closely, you might check if the behavior changes in the different regen settings from B0 to B5.

Harald

Hi Herald, changing the seven setting makes no difference at all, even on B0 if you try and coast the power seems to go to the wheels .. even downhill ...

Perhaps you have the common seized brake caliper issues? then car needs constant power to overcome some constant braking when they stick on, then other times they are free?
I don't know, Just a suggestion.

That's a very good shout, I did think it was pulling a little bit, I'll have them checked

Had the calipers looked at today at a local garage, the offside handbrake is sticking slightly and the discs are not in great condition so i think ill have them overhaulled as its needed anyway and see if that sorts the problem

If it's 2015 registered then it should have a 5-year warranty so may be worth taking it to Mitsubishi for the brake work?

Mine had the calipers fixed by the dealer after the warranty expired, it was authorised by Mitsubishi head office as a 'good will gesture' without me even asking or complaining! I agree with others on here, Mitsubishi seem to prefer to fix these quietly as they come to light than risk a full recall on all cars.
Worth asking.

BobEngineer said:
Mine had the calipers fixed by the dealer after the warranty expired, it was authorised by Mitsubishi head office as a 'good will gesture' without me even asking or complaining! I agree with others on here, Mitsubishi seem to prefer to fix these quietly as they come to light than risk a full recall on all cars.
Worth asking.

There is a full recall here in Australia for this problem. It affects not only the PHEV but the other Outlanders as well.

Thanks, I suppose it's worth a try for nothing, I'm going to have the discs and pads replaced as part of course anyway so I'll see if it something they will do .. Thanks all

Problem eventually solved ... by Mitsubishi Japan !!

Turns out the whole problem was caused by a tyre ! .. we had a puncture a few months ago and had to have a mobile fitter replace the tyre with the only 1 he had in stock Which was a budget tyre, the tread was the same but the tread depth was 4mm different and it caused the diff a headache... The advice given was to use Toyo tyres only and change the set when 1 is needed !!! ... hmmmm

As there's no centre diff, the usual recommendation seems to be to change the tyres on a single axle. When we got our car from a dealer, it had worn Toyos on the back and new-ish Hankooks on the front: it's never had a problem.

Which axle tends to wear faster on the PHEV? I'd guess the fronts due to slippage during steering, but I can't remember seeing anything on here about it since I joined.

I agree, I have a family member that owns a garage so we are going to try a few options of tyres but yes i think changing a set is slightly OTT! ..

There was a conversation on this in the technical section, not sure if you already read: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3816

Back