Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: can you force no drive-battery charging while driving?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:44 pm 

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, I couldn't find it in my brief search. I'm probably going to get the 2019 model once it's available in the USA, until then, been looking through this forum. My question is, can you force no charging of the drive-battery while driving? I ask because I like to charge the drive-battery only once every two days to minimize battery degradation over time (the idea is to control the number of charge cycles). In-between charges at home, if the drive-battery runs out, I just want to use the ICE and nothing charging the drive-battery, including the regen braking. Can you please tell me if this is possible?

Post subject: Re: can you force no drive-battery charging while driving?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm 

First of all, it will never charge the drive battery fully using the charge or save mode. If you just drive it with a depleted battery, and not use the charge or save mode, the battery will stay at around 30% capacity.

Secondly, I think you worry too much....

Time is also a factor in battery degradation and there is nothing you can do about it. I am sure the battery will last a few thousand cycles with acceptable capacity retention.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 pm 

Thirdly, the car cannot drive directly on the ICE with speeds below 64 km/h.
The car is meant to use the battery. It's an integral part of the drive line.
Just enjoy the ease of electric drive :D

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:29 pm 

I kinda agree with the other comments. Keep in mind: when you drive the car as a non hybrid, it will just be a very heavy petrol car. But worse. Economy will go down the drain.

Further more, the ICE is not strong enough to do all the driving. When accelerating or climbing a hill it will have to be supported by the E-motors and thus take battery power. This means that, if no recharging is going on, the battery will eventually really deplete and die.

If you insist, there are two things you can try:

- Stay above 130 km/h.
- Keep your petrol supply below 5 liters.

I think both will disable the hysteresis cycle. The first will for sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 am 

anko wrote:
I kinda agree with the other comments. Keep in mind: when you drive the car as a non hybrid, it will just be a very heavy petrol car. But worse. Economy will go down the drain.

Further more, the ICE is not strong enough to do all the driving. When accelerating or climbing a hill it will have to be supported by the E-motors and thus take battery power. This means that, if no recharging is going on, the battery will eventually really deplete and die.

If you insist, there are two things you can try:

- Stay above 130 km/h.
- Keep your petrol supply below 5 liters.

I think both will disable the hysteresis cycle. The first will for sure.

And only ever use the handbrake to slow down :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:47 am 

greendwarf wrote:

And only ever use the handbrake to slow down :lol:

But based on the recall don't expect the car to slow down :p

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:54 am 

Thank you everyone for your comments, I understand better how this works. I know the existing 2.0 ICE is woefully underpowered, at least where I live, where the average freeway cruising speed is 75 mph/121 kph with hills. Really hoping Mitsubishi will bring over the 2.4 ICE for the 2019 model.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 am 

Woefully underpowered? I drive regularly on the German Autobahn, plenty of hills and my average speed is about 150 kph. No lack of power at all. Just keep the charge button down, 120 kW from the electric motors and another 30 from the ICE will keep you going nicely.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:13 am 

jaapv wrote:
Woefully underpowered? I drive regularly on the German Autobahn, plenty of hills and my average speed is about 150 kph. No lack of power at all. Just keep the charge button down, 120 kW from the electric motors and another 30 from the ICE will keep you going nicely.

I'm sorry, I took it too far. I meant trash panda power :) Autobahn, 150 kph, hills, "no lack of power at all"... Anyone like to back that up? My BMW X1 sdrive28i struggles at 130 kph on hills, and that's signficantly lighter than the Outlander phev. Lack of power is almost universal with online reviews:

https://www.wheels.ca/car-reviews/revie ... ander-phev "sluggish performance"
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/latest ... -1.3785887 "What’s the crux of the issue? Lackluster performance... highway passing and uphill slogs easily overtasked the drivetrain – and that's with only a pair of people aboard"
http://www.hybridcars.com/2018-mitsubis ... ive-review "ask the vehicle to pass, surge up a hill, or merge with highway traffic, and suddenly you find yourself searching for the afterburner button"
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... est-review "isn't quick by any means"

Outlander phev has many strengths, but got the impression power isn't one of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm 

Woodman411 wrote:
jaapv wrote:

I do agree with Jaapv. But I was talking about the power of just the ICE, where Jaapv is talking about the whole package.

The ICE by itself provides sufficient power to maintain high speed (up to Vmax). But to get to high speed (or maintain high speed while climbing) the ICE needs frequent support from the battery. So, my point is, if the battery is never recharged (when demand is low) during driving it will eventually deplete.

Note: Although the end result is pretty much the same, "120 kW from the electric motors and another 30 from the ICE" is not going to happen. The max is either 120 kW from the electric motors in serial mode (60 kW sourced from the battery and 60 kW sourced from the ICE / generator) or 149 kW of combined power in parallel mode (89 sourced from the ICE + 60 kW sourced from the battery).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next