A few newbie questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB

Hi all, I bought a gx4h 2015 last week. It has high mileage but fdsh. I'm really happy with it. Just a few questions now that I've had it a few days.

The 12v battery is ok, but a little concerned it may require replacement at some point, any idea of it's specs and how do you get to it?

Please can you confirm when the 12v battery actually charges? I've had a look online but there seems to be conflicting information on this. I do short distance driving and sometimes the car is not driven for a few days, will it get sufficient charge with this type of use?

Handsfree working ok, no problems at all pairing etc.

The remote app works too. The original password was 10 chars, but the new one was 14. The car's software was probably updated by dealer. I installed the number 1 app and that works as it should. I had a few minor issues at first, but resolved when I temporarily removed my home WiFi router from my phone.

The Maps works ok, just concerned I have no backup, is there anything I should do to save myself hassle if there were issues in the future?

Thanks.

The 12v battery is mounted on the boot of the car.

You should be able to see one terminal by lifting up the cover of the boot, and on the left side you should see the plastic cover for access the "-" terminal of the 12v battery (which I use sometime for reset my car, by unplugging the minus connection from battery)

For change the 12v battery is needed to remove some plastic and other cover from the rear boot .. so relative time consuming

The 12v battery get charged, when the car is on, and when the car is charging.

My PHEV is from late 2013 .. and the 12v battery is still looking to work fine. (on my last service, I did not got any report about the main battery status .. but the 12v battery status was done, and was indicating the battery is in good condition)

This 12v battery is in theory expensive (~300 euros) if replaced with same battery originally equipped .. and as well battery size/capacity may be a bit unconventional .. I think there is already a discussion here about which alternative battery could be used.

I'm having a cheap 12v car cigarette socket in my car that display me all time the battery voltage .. based on this I see when my 12v battery get charged, and what is the status

The 12v battery in our PHEV is not very critical .. since it has little work to be done .. it does no have to start the engine ... but .. if it will fail .. also our PHEV will not start .. but .. using any little 12v jump starter should bring back alive our car in case.

Regulo said:
Every day at 2pm if the car isn't in use, according to the techy folks on here.

Correct

But only if WIFI module is active in the PHEV

PS: In my case I did disable the car WIFI

Thank you all for your quick responses. I have one of those voltage displayers that plug into a cigarette socket, good idea to occasionally check all's well. Just checked, not used for over 24 hours, it showing 12.4 volts, so it's looking good.

The WiFi is not disabled, hopefully it does charge at 2.00pm.

I think I'll invest in one of those lithium ion portable jump starters just in case. Any views on what size/power jump starter would be suitable? 300, 600 amp peak?

Wouldn't think you'd need much oomph. It's basically to wake up all the electronic circuitry. Someone will be along with an exact answer soon, no doubt.

Seems a bit belt and braces - I don't think many people here have ever had that problem. Maybe jump-leads would be cheaper. If you do get yet another battery, you don't need a very powerful one, as it doesn't need to turn over an engine - it just needs to power up the computers, which can then get power from the drive battery...

The lower powered one is about £30 and the higher powered one is is around £40. For an extra tenner it would be useful for wife's car if I needed to jump start it. I'm tempted to go for the dearer one as it would be a lot more useful.

Its father's day soon... perhaps I should start dropping hints!

Hi Jim, many thanks for the link. Seems I'm going down the same route as you, I'll probably be buying this one with similar spec to yours.Have you used it on your PHEV or an ICE car?

600A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074DV7VPB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wOGfBbKMM5XAE

I haven't had to use it at all yet but always glad to know it's there. I take it out of the car periodically to check the charge and it seems to have a very low self discharge rate, as maybe expected from a lithium pack.

JimB

JSB said:
Hi Jim, many thanks for the link. Seems I'm going down the same route as you, I'll probably be buying this one with similar spec to yours.Have you used it on your PHEV or an ICE car?

600A Peak 18000mAh Car Jump Starter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074DV7VPB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wOGfBbKMM5XAE
Good Lord! You can start up a hundred of PHEV's from that one. Just a standard 12V home alarm battery will do, amply.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GF6CRE4/ref=dp_cerb_1

Roll up, roll up!

I can also charge my model aircraft lipos from it, and crank any old ic car, including the wife's, and it was quite cheap so what th........

:)

...and who wants to look for a feckin' home alarm battery when they're in the airport car park after their 4 week vacation!

Jim B

It just so happens I have a 7.4v 3600mAh lithium ion battery pack which came with a portable DVD player I bought years ago.

I never used the battery, would this be sufficient to jump start the PHEV? If so, I could keep it charged and use it in the unlikely event I had a flat auxiliary battery.

Claymore said:
Roll up, roll up!

I can also charge my model aircraft lipos from it, and crank any old ic car, including the wife's, and it was quite cheap so what th........

:)

...and who wants to look for a feckin' home alarm battery when they're in the airport car park after their 4 week vacation!

Jim B
I just fire up the car when I arrive in the airport car park after six weeks - hasn't failed yet.
I use valet parking nowadays anyway - cheaper and more comfortable. Those guys have a jumpstart facility at their car park. And your car will still have its wheels when you return.

Back