Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 1524
Woodman411 wrote:
robdickinson wrote:
I honestly dont know what would please them?

The volvo xc90 phev is £60-70k isn it?
Range Rover Sport Hybrid is £70k up
The BMW X5 XDrive40e is 'cheap' at £56k but only 18 miles of ev range.

Cheapest outlander phev is £32k

But yes lets complain the Mitsubishi isnt as good as a car costing twice as much.


I'm curious how the Outlander compares to other PHEV's in the same price range in regards to ICE-turn-on NVH. For example, Car and Driver says about the Chevy Volt ICE turn-on:

Quote:
Once the battery is tapped out, the 101-hp engine fires up to drive the front wheels and recharge the lithium-ion cells, with help from the motor/generators. This occurs so gently that it’s easy to miss the subtle shudder when combustion kicks in.


https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/volt

I've never heard the Outlander's ICE turn-on described like this. So is this a fair criticism, do other PHEV's in this price range do better with ICE turn-on? (other PHEV's in the USA market around the $30,000 price point include Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion (aka Mondeo), Kia Niro, and Toyota Prius Prime).


Perhaps I'm just getting deaf or have the radio turned up too loud :lol: but I can never detect the ice kicking in when the battery is depleted (even though I try). I usually only first notice it due to a slight vibration through the steering wheel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 am
Posts: 394
Location: Bucks
greendwarf wrote:
Perhaps I'm just getting deaf or have the radio turned up too loud :lol: but I can never detect the ice kicking in when the battery is depleted (even though I try). I usually only first notice it due to a slight vibration through the steering wheel.

Me too. But, of course, if the ICE comes on because you've floored the accelerator to get up a hill, you'll definitely hear it :)

_________________
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 pm
Posts: 88
Location: New York, USA
ChrisMiller wrote:
greendwarf wrote:
Perhaps I'm just getting deaf or have the radio turned up too loud :lol: but I can never detect the ice kicking in when the battery is depleted (even though I try). I usually only first notice it due to a slight vibration through the steering wheel.

Me too. But, of course, if the ICE comes on because you've floored the accelerator to get up a hill, you'll definitely hear it :)


Good point: ICE-turn-on-NVH for series versus parallel modes. Most likely the Car and Driver review of the Chevy Volt was describing series mode. It would be helpful if PHEV reviews would compare NVH between the two modes (we all know EV mode is quiet and smooth), or at least specify which mode they're describing.

_________________
Woodman
Possible future owner of 2019 Outlander PHEV SEL (USA)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 pm
Posts: 3539
Location: Netherlands
ChrisMiller wrote:
greendwarf wrote:
Perhaps I'm just getting deaf or have the radio turned up too loud :lol: but I can never detect the ice kicking in when the battery is depleted (even though I try). I usually only first notice it due to a slight vibration through the steering wheel.

Me too. But, of course, if the ICE comes on because you've floored the accelerator to get up a hill, you'll definitely hear it :)

Yes, but when I go up a hill in the necessary low gear in a conventional car, the engine is not exactly silent either.

_________________
www.jaapvphotography.eu
www.l-camera-forum.com


Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 am
Posts: 394
Location: Bucks
jaapv wrote:
Yes, but when I go up a hill in the necessary low gear in a conventional car, the engine is not exactly silent either.

I think the impression that the engine is 'loud' when under heavy load is generated by contrast with the relative silence of electric mode*. I doubt that an accurate measurement of dB levels would reveal that the PHEV is any louder than a Range Rover or X5 in similar conditions.

* It also sounds 'odd' to someone used to a mechanical or hydraulic transmission, because (in serial mode) there's no relation between engine revs and speed.

_________________
GX4h (2016) since 23/12/2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:32 pm
Posts: 1524
ChrisMiller wrote:
greendwarf wrote:
Perhaps I'm just getting deaf or have the radio turned up too loud :lol: but I can never detect the ice kicking in when the battery is depleted (even though I try). I usually only first notice it due to a slight vibration through the steering wheel.

Me too. But, of course, if the ICE comes on because you've floored the accelerator to get up a hill, you'll definitely hear it :)


Despite living in the Sarf Lundun Alps there is little by the way of real hills to try this out :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:05 pm
Posts: 8
Location: San Diego, CA
I have the Ford Fusion too and compared to the Outlander, the ICE turn on in the Fusion is more noticeable than the Outlander. But on the Fusion, when the ICE is at max power it is much quieter than the Outlander at max power. The Fusion at max power is still louder than standard ICE versions, but much better than the Outlander.

Another comparisons to the Fusion is the performance on hills. I live in a hilly area, and while going up longer hills the Fusion ICE turns to prevent electric motor/battery from overheating (I think that is the reason). This rarely happens on the Outlander on those same hills. The ICE on the Outlander rarely turns on, and only does so when trying to accelerate quickly up the hill.

Also the Outlander range in driving around the hills is much closer to the stated EV Range value than is the Fusion. I believe this might be because of higher power regen available in the Outlander.

In summary, I feel the PHEV behavior is better on the Outlander than the Fusion. I prefer it to remain in EV mode longer so I can cover most of my trips in EV mode. Also I rarely am in Max ICE power mode on the Outlander. If I see the battery getting low, I put it in charge mode when on the freeway to save the battery for the final leg of the trip.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 pm
Posts: 88
Location: New York, USA
ckrs wrote:
I have the Ford Fusion too and compared to the Outlander, the ICE turn on in the Fusion is more noticeable than the Outlander. But on the Fusion, when the ICE is at max power it is much quieter than the Outlander at max power. The Fusion at max power is still louder than standard ICE versions, but much better than the Outlander.

Another comparisons to the Fusion is the performance on hills. I live in a hilly area, and while going up longer hills the Fusion ICE turns to prevent electric motor/battery from overheating (I think that is the reason). This rarely happens on the Outlander on those same hills. The ICE on the Outlander rarely turns on, and only does so when trying to accelerate quickly up the hill.

Also the Outlander range in driving around the hills is much closer to the stated EV Range value than is the Fusion. I believe this might be because of higher power regen available in the Outlander.

In summary, I feel the PHEV behavior is better on the Outlander than the Fusion. I prefer it to remain in EV mode longer so I can cover most of my trips in EV mode. Also I rarely am in Max ICE power mode on the Outlander. If I see the battery getting low, I put it in charge mode when on the freeway to save the battery for the final leg of the trip.


Thank you for this comparison. Although I have already decided on the Outlander PHEV, I was still curious how it compares to other PHEVs in the way it drives, and this was helpful in understanding that.

_________________
Woodman
Possible future owner of 2019 Outlander PHEV SEL (USA)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:58 pm
Posts: 12
Had a Ford Escape Hybrid (2005) and the Outlander is way quieter and smoother in hybrid mode. The Ford and Toyota hybrids have to start the ICE up above a certain speed as to prevent overspeeding the motor-generator (MG2 in Toyota speak). This is due to the nature of the Power Split Device hybrid drivetrain both manufacturers use.

While driving in and out of the Coast Range mountains during the recent holiday the ICE in the Outlander was barely noticeable over tire/road noise. The Ford would have been revving into the 3000+ RPM range to make speed under similar conditions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Outlander PHEV reviews and what we know
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:50 pm
Posts: 88
Location: New York, USA
2019 non-PHEV Outlander has now shown up on Mitsu Australia: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/outlander

Based on the non-PHEV's trim levels, one can get an idea of what items are standard and what are only available on a higher trim. The assumptions below are based on USA trim levels SEL and GT. Will probably vary by region:

Standard:
- updated front fascia
- updated rear lower bumper
- 18" wheel design (most likely)
- silver fog light housing (most likely)
- most if not all of the interior updates

Higher Trim only:
- updated headlight design, LED only, halogen projector design looks identical to MY2018
- large rear spoiler (interestingly, the optional rear spoiler is the same as MY2018, meaning it does not have the center indent. Could be a website mistake, or it could be that there are now simply two versions of the large rear spoiler)

_________________
Woodman
Possible future owner of 2019 Outlander PHEV SEL (USA)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
© Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group