2018 Outlander PHEV charging cost display

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody. Just picked up my PHEV last week so very much a newbie - still getting used to it but overall very impressed!
Just wondered if anyone else has had charging “events” not showing up on the cost display graphs?
I charged it last night but this morning, though it was fully charged and I got the Charge Complete message, the charge didn’t show in the display. Only charged it 3 times previously but they all showed up fine.
Any ideas anyone?

GreenfieldPHEV said:
Hi everybody. Just picked up my PHEV last week so very much a newbie - still getting used to it but overall very impressed!
Just wondered if anyone else has had charging “events” not showing up on the cost display graphs?
I charged it last night but this morning, though it was fully charged and I got the Charge Complete message, the charge didn’t show in the display. Only charged it 3 times previously but they all showed up fine.
Any ideas anyone?

Hi GreenfieldPHEV, I have had my PHEV for just over a year. After about one month I noticed that it started missing charging events. However, by then I had a Chargemaster wall charger installed at home which accurately records all my charging events on the internet so I just ignored the in-car cost display graph. Sadly I forgot to mention the fault to Mitsubishi at my first service last month. Not very helpful I know except to say that my car is a Juro which was the first model to get “Smartphone Link Display Audio” now fitted to most models. This may have something to do with it. It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced the problem and discovered a remedy.

Hello Phevy and Chris many thanks for your replies.

OK in terms of the overnight update Phevy I didn’t get to check it last night but it did show the charge and cost when I got into it this morning which was good however when I got back from town a couple of hours or so later it had gone!
I called and mentioned it to the salesman whose response was along the lines of well no one uses it anyway but he will have a look when I am in town next. He said that if it is a problem then it would probably need to be reported back to Japan for resolution!

In terms of the service Chris well I asked the salesman if his service guys would know and he said he probably knows more than them anyway and (as above) he will take a look with me when I am next in. I have my Chargemaster being installed next Friday so good to hear that it collates all the data.

I suppose my biggest beef is that we are buying these to be green and part of that is that we are encouraged to have smart meters to turn off unwanted lights, TVs etc. and if a manufacturer puts a function in a car to help you do that then it ought to work and be reliable -it’s not as if it’s a cheap car is it.

I also called Mitsubishi UK to talk to them about it and they said that they had not heard of any problems but their tech guys were not “customer facing”.

Anyway thanks again for your replies. I’ll watch this space to see if anyone else knows anything and keep you posted if I get any results.

A bit frustrating as out of 5 charges to date I only have data for one of them and whilst I know the costs of each the data displayed in the car isn’t accurate.

Ken

Hi Phevy and Chris

Just thought I’d give you an update on this thread - tbh not a lot of feedback so either other drivers aren’t worried about tracking their spend or they’re not having the problem.

Anyway, I am still losing events and tracking them manually plus taking some photos as “evidence”. To date this month I have actually spent £22.39 on 17 charges but have “lost” data for 7 charges amounting to £9.18 so the display is showing £13.21 on 10 charges.

I went into the dealership to have an accessory fitted and spent some time with the salesman who agreed that I wasn’t doing anything wrong and has committed to contacting the Mitsubishi technical department for an answer or investigation - could be that a software update is needed?

So that’s where I am. Will keep you posted and hope some other forum members might find it interesting, if not useful. I see this as a beneficial feature so keen for them to sort it!

Cheers
Ken

I have the same problem. It just seems to skip a few events and then start recording them again. I must admit I've not studied it in detail but I'm pretty confident they are not all recorded.

It is not something I feel that I need, but now I have it and it doesn't work...it is a bit frustrating :)

Rich.

Hi Rich

Yes, very frustrating and if it’s on the car then it should work I reckon.
In my view it’s not as if electric driving is free, it may be cheaper than diesel/petrol but you are only substituting one form of energy for another. If you know what price fuel is at the pumps then you have a rough grasp of what you are spending and you should be able to do the same with your electricity.
If the manufacturer recognises this by building in the means of tracking spend they must be able to get it to work properly.

Will keep you both posted!

Good to see BP have bought out Chargemaster too - shows that electric is being taken seriously now.

All the best

Ken

Hi Phevy, Rich and Chris

Just thought I’d give you an update on this “Lost Cost” business. Reported it back to the dealership and gave them a lot of my data plus photos showing it there and then missing at a later time.

As you’d expect really I had to chase for a reply and then they told me that they have taken it to the technical team at Mitsubishi UK but they didn’t know what it was so it has been escalated back to Japan. So basically still no answer.

It is however still happening and the “score” so far is as follows:
June 19 events costing £25.42, 8 lost events value £10.67
July 11 events costing £13.84, 5 lost events value £6.74
August 2 events £2.89, 2 lost events value £2.89 (100%!)

I’ve also noticed another issue which doesn’t bother me as much but again it’s the principal - what’s the point of having these data options if they don’t work properly.

The other issue I have found is re page 74 of the Smartphone Link Display Audio manual and the History Information screen item Auto Reset Mode.
According to the manual you can change the setting from Auto to Manual which you can. If you select Auto (Yes) it doesn’t reset until the power has been switched off for “about” 4 hours. If you select Manual (No) one would assume that it doesn’t reset unless you decide to do it. The issue is that the Manual option doesn’t stay “enabled” when the power is switched off so the system reverts to Auto and the data will always reset when the power is switched off and not stay Manual for the next journey unless you remember to enable it. Not sure that this correct and if it is then I don’t think it is much use but, either way, I don’t think the Owners Manual is clear.
As I said this isn’t so important but it does seem that some of these system options haven’t been properly thought through or tested and I don’t think either Mitsibushi UK or the Dealer network are up to speed enough to advise or understand these displays. I wonder if other hybrid manufacturers are having the same type of problems?

Anyway this is just keeping you updated and if I hear back with an answer to the lost costs I’ll let you know. I’m certainly not going to let it drop until I get an answer as it is frustrating - usually manufacturers monitor these forums so let’s hope Mitsubishi are monitoring this one!

Cheers
Ken

GreenfieldPHEV said:
As you’d expect really I had to chase for a reply and then they told me that they have taken it to the technical team at Mitsubishi UK but they didn’t know what it was so it has been escalated back to Japan. So basically still no answer.

It is however still happening and the “score” so far is as follows:
June 19 events costing £25.42, 8 lost events value £10.67
July 11 events costing £13.84, 5 lost events value £6.74
August 2 events £2.89, 2 lost events value £2.89 (100%!)

Do you see any pattern or variable that is common between events that are successfully saved to those that are not? Could there also be something happening before or after the event that triggers a success or failure? The answer to this question is what Mitsubishi will be trying to discern, since in their isolated test cases, probably every event is saved successfully. Without specific repro steps, these type of issues are difficult to figure out.

I've been having the same problem. I don't notice any patterns. It feels pretty random. At first I thought maybe it was not showing some days since the battery happened to get fully charged before midnight but then I don't think it is increasing the previous day. So I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on. I might start taking more detailed notes to see if I can get an idea of what might be happening.

Not sure if this is contributing, I'll have to test again to see. End of yesterday the monthly cost read $2.91. This morning it was showing a charge cost of $0.35 and a monthly cost of $3.26 (good). I did a bit of running around and was back home for a few hours, so I plugged in again. That charge was $0.18 and the month cost dropped to $3.09. So, based on what I saw today it wiped out the previous daily charge and replaced it with the new value.

Normally I charge over midnight (start at 7pm till full charge), so sometimes it completes before midnight and other times it rolls into the next morning. I'm wondering if its only keeping a single data point for a given day that gets overwritten with each charge that completes on that day? And thats whats causing this trouble?

Anyone else want to try a similar thing and see if you get the same behaviour.

It would be nice to reliably keep track of things.

EDIT: To add to this, right after writing this I went back out to check my numbers and it had dropped the $0.18 charge on me. So the most recent charge its showing is from 2 days ago and it's back to saying my month is $2.91. Something very wrong with this system.

Hi Woodman and Ekwloo

No no pattern at all. All I can say is that the charging event is most definitely there after the charge is complete. I then take a photograph! Then sometimes it stays until after a journey or sometimes it is gone before I drive the car. On the occasions when it disappears I then take another photograph showing it has “gone” and the display has reverted to the previous data/cost.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a 13amp home charge or a charge via my Chargemaster pod both methods can lose the “events.

I have racked my brains trying to think what I might be doing wrong (tbh it would be great if I was then I wouldn’t do it again) or if there is any common occurrence when they disappear. I showed the salesman at the dealership and he agreed that there wasn’t any apparent reason.

The good news is that I have a complete set of photographs showing all lost events and I keep a spreadsheet showing dates and successful/unsuccessful events so I have an accurate record of costs which the car is supposed to do - just need to get Japan interested!

Best
Ken

GreenfieldPHEV said:
Hi Woodman and Ekwloo

No no pattern at all. All I can say is that the charging event is most definitely there after the charge is complete. I then take a photograph! Then sometimes it stays until after a journey or sometimes it is gone before I drive the car. On the occasions when it disappears I then take another photograph showing it has “gone” and the display has reverted to the previous data/cost.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s a 13amp home charge or a charge via my Chargemaster pod both methods can lose the “events.

I have racked my brains trying to think what I might be doing wrong (tbh it would be great if I was then I wouldn’t do it again) or if there is any common occurrence when they disappear. I showed the salesman at the dealership and he agreed that there wasn’t any apparent reason.

The good news is that I have a complete set of photographs showing all lost events and I keep a spreadsheet showing dates and successful/unsuccessful events so I have an accurate record of costs which the car is supposed to do - just need to get Japan interested!

Best
Ken

If one cannot determine root cause or specific repro steps, the next best thing is being as detailed as you can, and it looks like you are. Hope you and Mitsubishi can get to the bottom of it.

I can't find a pattern either. I did start taking photos and have a series that show it drop 2 points within about an hour. So seems like it'll drop them at any point.

I made some progress with Mitsubishi Canada. They got all the info from me and forwarded to a technical team. They notified me that it is in fact a bug and there is an update available to the software (at least here in Canada). Next service I will have that update applied and report back here if it fixes the issue.

Hi Everybody

Well since my last post I took the car into the dealership (3rd September) and they updated the software.

So far in September I have charged the car 7 times and every event has been recorded AND remained on the display - previous best was 3 events remaining in succession.

So whilst I am still slightly doubtful it looks like the software update has the problem.

I asked the Service guy the latest software version and the old one but he didn’t know so I am following that up.

Hopefully all now sorted BUT my ongoing issue is that a new software version should be automatically uploaded to the car in the same way as a recall. If you have an Apple iPhone or iPad etc. then you are automatically advised when an update is available, what it fixes and given the opportunity to download it. Appreciate this is slightly different but nevertheless I do believe you shouldn’t have to chase known software updates! Also it took them 3 months to get me in to update it when software was discussed as a possibility right up front!

Will only post again if the issue isn’t resolved and it needs further investigation etc..

Loving the car though!

Cheers

Back