EV performance in cold weather...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankLilly

I was curious how the outlander EV mode performs when the weather is cold. Ive heard the volt battery range gets down to about 30 miles when its pretty cold out-not arctic conditions-just around 20-40 degrees fahrenheit. Does the outlander EV range shrink to about 10-15 miles in those conditions ?

Yes, the range is less in cold weather, but not as low as 10-15 miles (though I'm in Southern England, so it rarely gets as cold as 20F). I've seen an estimated winter range of 17 miles, when in summer I expect 22-24 (I find these figures to be reasonably accurate, but there are a lot of hills where I live).

From the day it was delivered fresh from the factory, our PHEV has never been able to do 30 miles on EV. I ran a few tests when it was less than a month old - in warm weather, on flat, empty roads, cruising at 30mph with the aircon off - the best it could achieve was 29.5 miles and it was like driving a milk-float.

The first winter we had it - about five or six months old in Southern England with the temperature just below freezing - I reckoned that I was doing OK if I got 16 miles on EV. There certainly are people that get better - generally by turning the heating and aircon off - personally I didn't pay over £30,000 for a car that I have to drive wearing three layers of clothing and with condensation running down the windows.

Four years later and with about 46,000 miles on the clock the range has decreased. I doubt that it can do better than about 24 miles on EV in warm weather and even on relatively mild winter days 17 or 18 miles is the tops.

I don't even look at the guess-o-meter any more unless I am just making sure I use my charge before getting home to my charger.

More noticeable for me is the change in mpg with the change of season. During the colder months with much power going to heat its really hard work to crack 40mpg. Now in the warmer months its fab, its hard not to do 40mpg or more.

Back