2018 PHEV - Rear Headrest Rattle !!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dh29

Had my first PHEV (4H) for just under a month. Charging, mileage etc...going fine. Generally very pleased.

BUT....

There is some very, very annoying rattles / vibrations from, I think, the rear-seat headrests when on anything but perfectly flat roads !!

OK, they are in the UP position, which I think is pretty normal. My kids are teens, nearly 6 ft tall, so as the manual states the headrests must be up. With the kids in the rear seats, I don't notice the rattling. But once they've been dropped off, and I'm on my commute to work, the rattling is most definitely there.

For a 40K+ car I find this very poor.

The front-seat headrests don't rattle, but of course they are a fuller / heavier design.

Does anybody else suffer from this? Any simple 'fixes' on stopping the rattle?

You might invest 1 minute for taking the headrests out.

If the sound is gone, you should have found the culprit and have a clear indication for the repair.

I have take the rear headrests out, and the rattle does stop. I have also dropped the headrests (nobody in the rear seats) and again the rattle stops (mostly, but not completely).

I am not sure how this helps me, other than diagnose the problem. I cannot permanently remove the rear headrests as this would then be a danger to anybody occupying the rear seats- as the manual states the headrests must be up when anybody is occupying the seat.

My PHEV 2018 did that and noise appear when rear seat are not used by person. Rattle come from back of rear seat touch to roll cover. You can move roll cover to second position or release seat to one position (less bend).

On the 65 Plate, NEW Shape, USE CABLE TIES,

It works, the HeadRests are loose, that's why when your kids, sit on the seats, the noise goes away, cuz there heads are resting against the headrests - causing the small little gap to close, if you use CABLE TIES and tighten it with a great deal of pressure to the back of the seat, you will be able literally get rid of the noise.

I don't have a picture with me at the moment, but for anyone who wants a permanent solution, just email me, and I'll provide some pictures of what I've done. The head-rests noise is really annoying! But I found a solution and it's fixed the issue for good. However I've kept he middle headrests down, cuz that comes in the way of my rear view.

Anyways, my email address is [email protected]

Feel free to email me and I'll send over some pictures of what I've done and it should help other PHEV owners drive there vehicles with a bit more peace of mind. Mitsubishi don't do anything, they just say it's the way the car seats have been designed, which is fairly true, there is nothing they can do about it.

So yea, I found a SOLUTION.

Back