Tpms and tyres

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB

Hi all,

just been trying to get an understanding of the tpms, looking mostly at the info on this forum. Perhaps someone can clarify a couple of things for me.

Firstly, each of the sensors in the wheels need a power source, this is presumably a battery, how long do the batteries last and are they replaceable?

Secondly, are tyres other than Toyo ok? Same size of course.

Thanks.

Yes they do indeed contain a battery. Like a Li-lion watch battery. Supposed to last for (I think) betwen 6 and 10 years. Apparently they only have to 'transmit' when the wheel is moving. This could mean I suppose that the idea is that you change the complete TPMS valve when you change the tyre (obviously depends on how many miles you do within the time frame) as I don't believe you can change the battery. Mitsubishi PHEV TPMS valves currently cost around £30 each - which is I'm led to believe cheaper than some other manufacturers might charge. You can get 'generic' valves but I wouldn't vouch for reliability and ease of re-programming (if needed) into the PHEVs computer system.

You can also have a second set of TPMS valves programmed separately if you have a separate set of winter wheels/tyres. There are two 'positions' available on the system to accommodate this. The second set of valves have to be programmed in by a Mitsubishi dealer. You can then switch between position '1' and '2' for summer and winter valve sets.

Here in fact is a picture of a TPMS valve fitted to an 18inch Enkai PHEV alloy.

Yes tyres other than Toyo (same size, speed rating and specification) are ok - and probably easier to get hold of that a Toyo R37 might be at times. I'd stick to 'premium' brands myself though. I don't reckon there's much wrong with Toyo R37s although I have a separate set of winter wheels and tyres so I don't use the R37s in the winter. Michelin CrossClimates seem to get good reviews on the PHEV as a compromise between summer and winter. Depends where you live really. Check out the lengthy 'winter tyres' thread, or in fact any other threads about tyres for many and varied opinions.

Attachments

• TPMSvalve.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 83
I wouldn't rate Toyo as a premium brand. Adequate at best.
My car drove much better on Conti Crosscontact UHP tyres, and, to my surprise, even better on Vredenstein Quatrac 5.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, that's a very reasonable price, no need to look elsewhere! Good to know any decent tyres will do.
Cheers.

jaapv said:
I wouldn't rate Toyo as a premium brand. Adequate at best.

I think the compound on the Toyo R37 is a bit harder than the more common Toyo Proxes. I had Toyo Proxes fitted to a BMW520 about 20 years ago and I'm sure I remember them as a relatively soft compound tyre with good grip but not great wear. I think it could be that the R37 is designed for good fuel consumption and maybe to suit the extra weight of the PHEV, so maybe the compound is a bit hard. Mine seem to wear a bit fast around the edges though, doesn't seem to be uneven wear, just quite a lot of it compared to the rest of the tyre. My current set have an even 6mm of tread after 15,000 miles, apart from around the edges where it's more like 4mm.

I've never had any scary moments with the R37s though. No frightening understeer or sliding or aquaplaning. Maybe they're a bit noisy though.

Is it just the Outlander (PHEV and diesel) that is fitted with this particular Toyo R37? I notice that Mitsubishi still fit them as OEM. Maybe not a 'premium' tyre but they always seem to balance nicely (if fitted correctly - with the red paint dot aligned to the valve - which is something I note that showroom models don't always have done, resulting in anything up to 100 grammes of weight). Not that I'm unusually obsessed with tyre/wheel balancing or anything. :geek:

Tyres are the last thing that I would try and save money on. Only a few square inches that keep you on the road...

I found that the car tended to stick in ruts and feel less stable on Toyos.

A couple of other things come to mind that I've read about but can not get an handle on is the changing of ID1 to ID2, what is it trying to achieve? Also, the registering of new sensors - is this something that has to be done and can only be do by the dealer?

ID1 and ID2 - good question, not sure why there need to be 'two' different sets of valves. As far as I understand it the original set could also be cloned, so you'd only need to use the one position. Cloning appears to be an aftermarket activity done by wheel and tyre suppliers, don't know how it's done though. So yes, doesn't have to be a main dealer. Having said that when I got my second set registered and put into the system by a Mitsubishi main dealer (which I think cost me about £50.00), they'd never actually done it before. They had dealt with replacement valves (due to puncture damage) but never a whole new set to work in position 2.

If driving in position 1 and the four wheels on the car have position 1 valves fitted, when you have a spare wheel in the car, that has a position 2 valve fitted, the system doesn't 'pick-up' on the position 2 valve as any sort of error.

Might it be that one needs two ID to accommodate two sets of wheels, i.e. one for winter and one for summer?

jaapv said:
Might it be that one needs two ID to accommodate two sets of wheels, i.e. one for winter and one for summer?

Well yes, but if the original OEM set of four valves is 'cloned' you'll have eight valves in total (summer and winter) but, each complete set of four will have the same set of identification 'numbers'. I don't know if they are 'numbers' - codes maybe? So you'll still only need to use number '1' position on the car dashboard selector whether you have the summer or winter set fitted. Don't know why you might want to do this anymore than using postion 1 and 2, (cloning cheaper as doesn't need to be done by a Mitsubishi dealer?) but I think it's possible.

Mind you, what might happen if you have say, the summer set of four fitted and you carry one of the winter's for a spare - so you have potentially two wheels within transmission distance with the same code - I'm not too sure.

NightPHEVer said:
Mind you, what might happen if you have say, the summer set of four fitted and you carry one of the winter's for a spare - so you have potentially two wheels within transmission distance with the same code - I'm not too sure.

Should not be an issue, if it's true that they only transmit when rolling... :geek:

I think it is getting more common for people to fit TPMs onto trailer tyres too, that would be another good use for ID2 :)

Back