Trip Info Screens

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwatpe

I have noticed that the car continues to record mileage data when the car is in accessories mode.

Being a brand new car, I am doing my best to keep the new look. I happened to be listening to the radio, with the accessories turned ON. The car was obviously stationary as I vacuumed the floor mats etc etc. Accessories turned OFF a few times. The timer is set to 15 minutes. Anyway the car recorded the mileage of the stationary car and reported back 8L/100km. The ICE was obviously not operating. Data was recorded in all the screens, along with gaps in the traces.

My concern is how is a car able to give believable data for mileage etc etc when the recording of corrupt data is possible.

Is this is just another problem that I have found in my car that should not have been passed by inspection before leaving the factory?

Have other drivers noticed any gaps in the graphed data in the INFO/TRIP/History?

Have to work out how to post a picture.

I'm increasingly convinced that the Trip data is calculated using infinite improbability drive :idea: :lol:

Most of the trip data is, at best, unreliable. The only one I've found reliable is the mpg both in manual and auto mode as long as the mpg is below 99.9mpg.
Kind regards
Mark

All mpg is garbage in my case. Manual mode resets itself automatically whether it's supposed to or not. I can tell it does so because after a short while both Auto and Manual data are the same. Maybe something to do with the fact I'm achieving way over 99.9mpg perhaps :?

TBH I've given up trying to get anything meaningful out of the Trip data.

maddogsetc said:
All mpg is garbage in my case. Manual mode resets itself automatically whether it's supposed to or not. I can tell it does so because after a short while both Auto and Manual data are the same. Maybe something to do with the fact I'm achieving way over 99.9mpg perhaps :?

TBH I've given up trying to get anything meaningful out of the Trip data.
Hi
Yes, looking at your use you will almost always get more than 99.9mpg so your display likely indicates 0.0mpg.
For those of us that sometimes get under 99.9mpg this part of the display works as intended.
Kind regards
Mark

I believe hardly anything the screen tells me. It would be good if it told me time, distance, average speed etc for the trip. Also whether on manual or auto the percentage ev is the same which is clearly rubbish as I've not reset the manual for over 1000 miles and it says 100 percent ev. I think the manual mpg, currently 50 something is right - low because of over 900 miles without charging on holiday! I hope the charge cost data is right - will check to chargevision when I've got it working. I'm setting up a spreadsheet for charge costs,petrol and mileage so I can work my own figures out. Remember to check your charge costs at the end of the month,if you don't have chargevision.
H

I believe hardly anything the screen tells me. It would be good if it told me time, distance, average speed etc for the trip. Also whether on manual or auto the percentage ev is the same which is clearly rubbish as I've not reset the manual for over 1000 miles and it says 100 percent ev.
Hear hear H :cool:, plus petrol (Litres) and electricity (kwh) consumed would be good - then anyone could calculate the real cost with a great degree of accuracy. If it wasn't using bistromaths of course!

I hope the charge cost data is right
Me too!

Remember to check your charge costs at the end of the month,if you don't have chargevision.
I'm relying on the long term history for this. Although it's not easy to read accurately as it's a bar chart without gridlines (d'oh), it's good enough for my purposes.

gwatpe said:
gwatpe said:
Have other drivers noticed any gaps in the graphed data in the INFO/TRIP/History?

I was hoping one or more forum members could answer this question for me.

I have sort of noticed, but I just assumed this was just due to the fact that it was overnight and I wasn't driving?

For recording fuel figures, I use Fuelly myself, which is brilliant, but I'm not sure if this can do kWh's too?

gwatpe wrote:

Have other drivers noticed any gaps in the graphed data in the INFO/TRIP/History?]

I was hoping one or more forum members could answer this question for me.
TBH I don't look at these screens very often because I don't find they tell me anything useful but can you be a bit more specific about what you want to know? There are several History graphs in the Trip screen.

Yes, I have gaps in mine but I assume they are just when the car was not being used.

Hi maddogsetc,

I have seen and photographed gaps in the records of every type of graph screen. Sometimes there have been up to 5 gaps in a single page, 1.5 hours, or 1.5 days. Sometimes there are 2 gaps then a single dot followed by 2 gaps and then 4 linked dots then a gap, etc etc. The gaps have been recorded during an extended continuous trip over 3 hours duration. The gaps are not related to the car being turned ON and OFF and ON etc.

My car no longer has the SETUP screen appear in the center window between the power and speed meters, the one selected by the menu control button on the dash beside the steering wheel. This is a recent problem and seems to have coincided with more gaps appearing in the computer recordings.

Maybe the computer is dying, or even a wiring loom problem exists. I would expect that a new car would have all features working without any faults. The computer systems seem to share data and how long before the faults that appear in one system affect others? We have paid good money for all systems to be working all the time. Have had dynamic braking ineffective only just today, and the car running away on B5 on a hill where previously B4 held the speed. Cycling the paddles had no effect. At least the brake pedal regen still worked. Most problems are intermittent and the setup screen and record gaps persist.

The usual scenario is that as equipment ages, problems develop. If there are problems from new, what will the car be like a few years down the track. It would be reassuring if all features worked without fault when we collect the keys at the dealer. We should expect this to be so.

I hope the extra info helps.

gwatpe said:
Hi maddogsetc,

I have seen and photographed gaps in the records of every type of graph screen. Sometimes there have been up to 5 gaps in a single page, 1.5 hours, or 1.5 days. Sometimes there are 2 gaps then a single dot followed by 2 gaps and then 4 linked dots then a gap, etc etc. The gaps have been recorded during an extended continuous trip over 3 hours duration. The gaps are not related to the car being turned ON and OFF and ON etc.

My car no longer has the SETUP screen appear in the center window between the power and speed meters, the one selected by the menu control button on the dash beside the steering wheel. This is a recent problem and seems to have coincided with more gaps appearing in the computer recordings.

Maybe the computer is dying, or even a wiring loom problem exists. I would expect that a new car would have all features working without any faults. The computer systems seem to share data and how long before the faults that appear in one system affect others? We have paid good money for all systems to be working all the time. Have had dynamic braking ineffective only just today, and the car running away on B5 on a hill where previously B4 held the speed. Cycling the paddles had no effect. At least the brake pedal regen still worked. Most problems are intermittent and the setup screen and record gaps persist.

The usual scenario is that as equipment ages, problems develop. If there are problems from new, what will the car be like a few years down the track. It would be reassuring if all features worked without fault when we collect the keys at the dealer. We should expect this to be so.

I hope the extra info helps.

The problems that you describe are bugs in complex, young software and are to be expected. The reliability of software tends to be the inverse of the reliability of physical machinery - it does not physically wear out and get less reliable with age, but it is often delivered with multiple bugs that get cleared over a period of months or years with updates. My hope is that the Outlander PHEV will prove to be sufficiently popular to keep Mitsubishi committed to it and that they will fix the bugs with a couple of significant updates. The physical mechanics of a PHEV are far less complex than those of a conventional car and one might reasonably hope that the reliability will not degrade as rapidly with age.

Hi gwatpe
Was the battery fully or almost fully charged when using regen braking?
They have designed the system so that regen braking is very limited when fully charged, which is also stated in the manual. Cant say that it is a perfect solution but maybe they didnt know what to do with the extra electricity :D

Jens

Hi swedenphev,

the battery was approx 3/4 full. Certainly under 80%. The PHEV certainly used regen when the brake pedal was pressed, as it indicated in the info/trip/energy screen.

Hi maby,

I cannot accept the release for sale of essentially experimental software. The problems I see are not just bugs. This is an infestation. The PHEV has been for sale over a year now, and there are approx 20000 units out there. More than enough time to supply a faultless system to new car buyers.

Have finally had the opportunity to fully test the fuel system.

Here is a start sceen.

PHEV_fuel_7.gif

The total range has been a mystery for a few months and various forum members have offered snippets of info, but how the fuel system allows the driver to access what is available has been somewhat of a mystery.

Decided to bite the bullet and run the car completely out of petrol and actually record what happened.

The display above was the start of the empty sequence.

The manual states that as fuel is running low, that at 7 L remaining, the fuel icon starts to flash slowly. As the fuel gets to 5 L the icon flashes faster. At some later point the total range goes to dashes.

From the point the icon started to flash, I drove another 2 + 3/4 hours, for a total of 165km after the battery had been depleted. The car operated in parallel and series hybrid mode for about 100km before locking in on series hybrid mode. I had LIMP mode activate. No Turtle appeared. Could only drive at 20-30kph.

Did not Panic.

Emptied my reserve 10L tank into the car, and at about 9L, the car ICE started by itself. Emptied the entire 10L to the car. Servo was not far away, and managed to add an additional 36.5L petrol to the tank.

Have confirmed that the tank is at least 45L.

There are many options available to use all the petrol and it seems the design is ultra conservative with the fuel tank gauge. My estimate is that the tank has not 7L remaining but closer to 10L or more remaining. This does seem a bit excessive, but at least I now know what my car does. Shame this is not somewhere in the manual.

PHEV has a working range of 700-800km with my driving style on a full battery and petrol tank.

gwatpe said:
Hi maddogsetc,

The "Settings" menu option only appears when the car is stationary!!! ( and probably in "P" )
On a VW sirocco I had before the PHEV with a similar LCD display the "Settings" menu showed a msg about safety when driving...
removing the Settings Menu on the PHEV is a better way of stopping drivers being distracted - although ALL the MMCS menus are available all the time... so a bit hypocritical...

I have had a loan PHEV for a few days from my dealer, and have had the opportunity to compare. Have identified that in the loan car that in addition to the car being stationary and foot brake applied, and the car being in PARK, that the hand brake has to also be applied to access the setup screen. Better to only have the setup screen available some other way, say in ACCESSORIES mode.

Back