Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre Heating Without the App
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm 

Hi. I've read partial answers to my question, but can't find anything conclusive.

I've had a '17 spec Juro for three months now and enjoy it enormously. I've had a dedicated home charger installed and do almost all driving in EV. A total convert.

Being a Juro, it doesn't have the pre-heat app. If I turn the heater on manually whilst charging at home, will this drain the battery? I've read somewhere that it would drain it with a 3 pin charger (4w to heat, against just 3w input from the charge?), but what about with the higher power home charger? Similarly, if it is plugged in, but no longer charging because the battery is full, would a pre-heat force the charging to begin again?

I've also read that pressing the start button once or twice (without brake pedal depressed) can make a difference, but not sure if this is relevant to my query.

I realise the colder months are some time away, but as I'm discovering more, it would be handy to know. Pre heating/cooling would be good, but not if it uses up some of the charge.

Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Pre Heating Without the App
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm 

I've mine too short to have used pre-heating. But pre-cooling has not drained the battery; provided it's plugged in.
I don't have a Juro, so not sure why the remote app would apply.
But pre-programming should still be an option, I would think.
As to the draining of the battery, you're not pre-heating for a long time, and some range loss seems acceptable to me for the added comfort.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm 

DuRam wrote:
Hi. I've read partial answers to my question, but can't find anything conclusive.

I've had a '17 spec Juro for three months now and enjoy it enormously. I've had a dedicated home charger installed and do almost all driving in EV. A total convert.

Being a Juro, it doesn't have the pre-heat app. If I turn the heater on manually whilst charging at home, will this drain the battery? I've read somewhere that it would drain it with a 3 pin charger (4w to heat, against just 3w input from the charge?), but what about with the higher power home charger? Similarly, if it is plugged in, but no longer charging because the battery is full, would a pre-heat force the charging to begin again?

I've also read that pressing the start button once or twice (without brake pedal depressed) can make a difference, but not sure if this is relevant to my query.

I realise the colder months are some time away, but as I'm discovering more, it would be handy to know. Pre heating/cooling would be good, but not if it uses up some of the charge.

Many thanks.

I'm not sure if this helps, according to the user manual in section 3-25:

Quote:
When the normal charge connector is connected to the normal charge port, the charging indicator is blinking. When charging is started, the charging indicator is illuminated and the charging port courtesy light blinks three times...(J) appears and the predicted charging time display (K) appears on the information screen in the multi-information display.In addition, when the remaining time is less than 1 hour, the predicted charging time display appears --:--.

So according to the above:
- "If I turn the heater on manually whilst charging at home, will this drain the battery?" If this is true, while charging, the J display, the one showing the battery level icon, will decrease, and the K display, the one showing predicted charging time, will increase
- "what about with the higher power home charger?" < same answer above >
- "Similarly, if it is plugged in, but no longer charging because the battery is full, would a pre-heat force the charging to begin again?" The manual on 3-26 says that "charging is complete when the charging indicator turns off". I assume this means that both J and K displays turn off when charging is complete. By turning the heater on, if this triggers the main-battery charge, J and K displays would turn on again.

I would be interested to know the answers to your questions too.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 9.24.19 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:29 pm 

With a 16 amps charge station, you add about 2900 watts (after losses in the AC / DC converter. The heater will pull more than 4000 watts. So, yes. The battery will drain a bit during pre heating, even when plugged into a real charge station.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 am 

DuRam wrote:
Being a Juro, it doesn't have the pre-heat app. If I turn the heater on manually whilst charging at home, will this drain the battery?

I have a 17 Juro and it definitely does have pre-heating, in fact it's one of my fav features in winter. I use the Phev II app on android. It does use a small amount of charge, mitigated if plugged in, but in my opinion it's worth it. I think it probably warms up the battery a bit so the first part of your journey runs more efficiently anyway after a pre-heat but the experts may or may not agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:04 am 

I researched heaters when we were buying earlier this year, and what I found was that every UK PHEV has electric heating apart from the "basic" 3hs. That was for pre- and post-facelift models 2016 and earlier. So a 3-plus or a Juro should have it

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:51 am 

3h+ (2016) definitely has pre heating/cooling from the App so can't understand why the Juro doesn't as it is a higher spec, is there an SSID card in the user manual?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 pm 

Thank you Anko in particular, for answering specifically. So it does pull a bit more from the battery, than the charge going in (although pre heating may be a more efficient way of heating, than turning on the heating once driving, I can understand that).

I realise that I was mistaken when I mentioned the app. I should have said pre heating using the on-board timer. I simply haven't had to use that yet. Although some of you seem to suggest that there is an app for a 2017 Juro, which I didn't realise, so I'll check that out.

Thank you people,
DuRam.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 am 

DuRam wrote:

Although some of you seem to suggest that there is an app for a 2017 Juro, which I didn't realise, so I'll check that out.

When you do check it out, important to know that for a 2017 Juro you definitely need the Outlander PHEV II App. This applies for both Android and Apple IOS phones.