Question: Any one moved from BMW X3/X5 to Outlander 2017/18

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yasirashfaque

Hi Everyone,

I want to know the difference of experience between both cars, I currently have BMW X3 Diesel 2013, and want to move to new model.

I have two choices.
BMW X3 2018 Full Option -- Price is extremely high, plus its not hybrid so high taxes.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2019 -- i can get S-Edition for 50K, which is good price plus its hybrid.

My question is about driving experience, does it have same driving experience, which includes smoothnes/Road Grip/curve control in high speed with comparison to BMW X3/X5 ?

Thanks.

I had the X5 two cars before the PHEV (MY2016). Driving position is very similar although the PHEV is narrower so less room in the middle between the front seats although the smaller bolsters mean rear seat space is better in the PHEV. Driving wise, the raw acceleration of the 3 litre diesel and slightly notchy automatic in sport mode is replaced by a smooth relaxing drive that doesn't make you want to drive fast, and cornering ability is very similar with the low down weight in the PHEV matching the ultra fat (and expensive) tyres on the X5. I miss the two extra seats in the back but do not miss the £500 a tyre and 23 mpg the X5 used to do, I am now getting 54mpg for the same traffic pattern (130 motorway commute) but am totally electric at weekends.

If I had to judge both cars, without the financial costs I would go for the X5 every time (soft close doors and boot, I drive and space for all the family and grandparents), with the financial cost switched on, I would have the PHEV, similar size, cheap to run and insure and surprisingly fun...also no one gets angry if you are in a PHEV and the indicators flashing doesn't make people comment about it being unexpected.

PS The voice recognition in both is about the same, works perfectly when you don't need it too and then takes 5 attempts when you do and calls all sorts of strange people who you can't remember are in your phone

yasirashfaque said:
Hi Everyone,

I want to know the difference of experience between both cars, I currently have BMW X3 Diesel 2013, and want to move to new model.

I have two choices.
BMW X3 2018 Full Option -- Price is extremely high, plus its not hybrid so high taxes.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV 2019 -- i can get S-Edition for 50K, which is good price plus its hybrid.

My question is about driving experience, does it have same driving experience, which includes smoothnes/Road Grip/curve control in high speed with comparison to BMW X3/X5 ?

Thanks.

I will be moving from a 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28i (at least the e84 was based on the e91 3-series platform) to a 2019 Outlander phev whenever it's available in the USA. I'm not expecting anything remotely close to a BMW driving experience. Although I've never owned a Mitsubishi before, I have plenty of other Japanese cars, including Toyota/Lexus/Nissan/etc. and none come close to the Teutonic driving feel of German cars (I've had MB and VW too). There is something to be said about designing a car to handle on the Autobahn. That said, Japanese cars do have their advantages over German ones, but driving feel/dynamics is not one of them.

Of course, driving feel is subjective. There could be comments saying so-and-so had a Porsche and now an Outlander, and the Outlander's driving feel is the same or even better than the Porsche :shock: My recommendation if driving experience is a concern, test drive an Outlander, drive it the way one realistically drives, and determine for yourself how big this subjective gap is (because everyone's feeling on this can and will be different).

My Company leased 2014 X3 2.Od is up for renewal in November and I have loved it - not a problem. However after moving house finding the wallet a little empty and need to get some more disposable income. Looked at all the options for bringing the BIK right down.. This includes Pickups and PHEV's.

Pretty much settled on the Outlander 4H MY2019 - want to keep 4WD and the extra space of the SUV - also like lots of gadgets and the fule saving with 12 mile commute each way will be welcomed.

I am a little concerned of moving from the excellent X3 and also (i know it's snobbish) curbside appeal of the badge.. But again money saving will hopefully outweigh all that..

Anyway have a loaner booked for Friday to Monday this week so will have a better idea. Need to make a right choice because I will need to go another 4years with it to get in on budget..

If anyone's interested or has questions let me know and I will try and answer during or after test drive....

I owned an old X5 4.8iS when I bought my PHEV in 2014 and now have an Merc GLC43 alongside it.
If it is driving experience you want, the X5 wins every time.
However I bought the PHEV primarily for school run/ driving around London but have to say it has exceeded expectations.
Given the choice (which I am lucky to have regularly), I would always take the PHEV for urban driving and anything under 50 miles and wouldn't worry about driving longer distances. I have used it (from choice) far more than I thought I would. It is also the vehicle of choice for boarding school drop-off, dump and Ikea visits.
It is never a car that I will "love" but it gets the job done efficiently, has never had a problem and I like its unfussy styling (pre-facelift). It also has the advantage that I can park on the street without worrying too much about theft. And of course, there are big financial incentives in London - congestion charge free, car tax and (almost) free parking in Central London. I keep an eye out for a replacement but have yet to find something that, for me, works as well.
It boils down to what is most important to you.

Back