Test drove the MY2019 outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typod

Hi,

I drove the 2019 outlander PHEV last weekend. The contract on family one 66 plate is due up in September. Overall I liked it. It's definitely nippier than the old one with the 2.4l engine. I think we will really like the EV mode option which was missing on ours. Getting rid of MMCS is good as let's face it, it was horrible, especially the Nav. Sport and snow mode are interesting but not sure how much we will use them in the UK. Driving a car of this weight in sports mode just seems wrong and a recipe for disaster.

I did like being able to use airplay but will have to wait until iOS 12 to use anything other than apple maps. No sunroof will take some getting used to as we liked the light that it bought into the cabin. I also prefer the wheels on the old model. Externally I do think it looks meaner which is good. The dash has had a small make over and looks more modern but not sure about the fake carbon fiber looking material on the centre console.

Lastly I forgot to check but I hope they have reached the design nirvana and minded to put the button that cycles through the info on the dash (range, mpg etc) on the end of a stalk like every other manacfacture rather than in that in the place it is currently that lakes you take your eyes off the road when using it. Not holding my breath though.

With all that I ended up getting one. We pick it up on the 1st September

Thanks, Typod.

Is a sunroof no longer available even as an option? I'm in the same position as you, with my lease up in December. I'm considering 'downsizing' to a Kia Niro, but that doesn't have a sunroof, either.

Apparently not. If it was I would have gone for it. It's a lot darker in the cabin now. We aren't able to downsize either as we have way too many kids. :D

Typod said:
Apparently not. If it was I would have gone for it. It's a lot darker in the cabin now. We aren't able to downsize either as we have way too many kids. :D

I wonder why it was removed as an option? I checked the UK configurator, none of the phev trims has it. Checking the Australian site, it looks like the regular Outlander retains it for MY2019 (under "OCCUPANT COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE"): https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/outlander/specifications/m1/ZL4E46

Woodman411 said:
Typod said:

I wonder why it was removed as an option? I checked the UK configurator, none of the phev trims has it. Checking the Australian site, it looks like the regular Outlander retains it for MY2019 (under "OCCUPANT COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE"): https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/outlander/specifications/m1/ZL4E46

My understanding has been that the sunroof was a British special for most manufacturers and stemmed from our dislike (or lack of need until this year, :lol: ) for aircon - unlike our continental cousins.

That’s a shame. There has been a number of cost cutting exercises in my2019 to keep the cost the same as last year. I am still not sure about having no sat nav without my phone. I love the idea of not using MMCS but i hardware sat nav is a great backup in case of phone issues. But I would still have paid more to have a sunroof.

We also went for a colour this year rather than the stock white. Just to be different.

Mine has a sunroof too but never open it or indeed open the blind....I don't like the sun on my balding head!
And yes I do have numerous hats before someone says it!
I leave the aircon on all year too even though I am in the UK.
I'd be quite happy to have a new one with no sunroof. :lol:

Nice to know, did you check if there was option to use Wireless Android Auto on this unit ?
Also how about noise, how calm was the car ?

I didn't check for Android auto but was told it was supported. Cabin was fine, the engine didn't seem as whiny as our previous one. Overall I was happy.

Tipper said:
Mine has a sunroof too but never open it or indeed open the blind....I don't like the sun on my balding head!
And yes I do have numerous hats before someone says it!
I leave the aircon on all year too even though I am in the UK.
I'd be quite happy to have a new one with no sunroof. :lol:

Try tinting it. The sunroof has a stock tint of 25% (75% visible light blockage). I put Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle 15 tint film on it (19% tint, 81% visible light blockage) which also blocks about 99.9% of UV and 62% of IR energy. Combined, they block about 95% of visible light and reduce the infrared energy coming through so much that I can keep the sunroof open with the Sun shining straight through the glass and not feel the heat or glare. However, it turns out that our eyes do great with a huge amount of dynamic range, so it is still very easy to see out

Its interesting what different people like, I would gladly trade my never used, always blinded sunroof for something 'useful' like a 'phone' button on the MMCS or even better, rear air vents!

I know the new one has these now so if its instead of a sunroof I would be happy.. sorry to you sun lovers!

For us it was more about letting light into the cabin. The new model seemed a lot darker and overall has a darker interior I think.

This is tge only thing putting me off getting the Outlander.
I can only get the Juro spec, which is good, but is missing for me, a couple of things that on other manufacturers cars, can be added as optional extras.
Heated steering wheel. I have some arthritis in my hands that are helped with hetead steering wheel
No nav, yes I understand that you can use your phone (plugged in) but I want it separate.

I understand why Mitsubishi doesn’t offer optional extras, but it stifles buyers especially those who are tied to various specs.

So I will have to think long and hard, as I can spec up a Skoda Kodiaq SEL, but of course, more petrol costs per annum.

I have one in Canada and it definitely came with heated steering. It was a must have ... it gets cold here :) I think the base model doesn't have it, but the other 2 (can't remember the names, sorry) do.

Back